Paul Pierce To The Clippers?

The Clippers are an intriguing possibility. Baron Davis, Eric Gordon, Paul Pierce, Blake Griffin, and Chris Kaman would be a heck of a starting lineup.

The Clippers have a top-10 pick in the upcoming draft. Not only would the Clippers give Pierce the opportunity to play in a big market, but Los Angeles also happens to be Pierce's hometown. (Besides, Clipper fans wouldn't have lingering animosity towards Pierce, as Clipper fans are most assuredly not Laker fans.)

The Clippers are a young team with a lot of talent, and Pierce's basketball IQ, championship experience, and ability to control an offense are all qualities that could help the Clippers tremendously.

Pierce probably won't end up becoming a Clipper -- not many players jump ship from the most successful franchise in NBA history to perhaps the least successful franchise in NBA history.

And the Clippers themselves may be wary of signing Pierce after how poorly the whole "Baron Davis comes to the Clippers to save his hometown team" thing worked out. Still, it is something that both sides may want to ponder.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/will-paul-pierce-opt-out-of-his-contract.php

Let's just consider that somehow he ends up with the Clippers...

C-Chris Kaman

PF-Blake Griffin

SF-Paul Pierce

SG-Eric Gordon

PG-Baron Davis

That's a pretty intimidating starting lineup. You bring Aminu, Bledsoe, Jordan, Blake (depending on whether they resign), and Butler (depending on whether they resign) off the bench and you have yourself a strong rotation. The run for the Celts is over, Paul Pierce has a couple strong years left in him so he should consider signing with the Clips. With that said, the Celts are pretty smart, and Paul Pierce is loyal to the franchise so they will probably work out some sort of agreement.

I didn't even realize he's a free agent...

I see this as being a possibility although I'm a bit taken by surprise that attachment to hometown does not have as much to do to players' decision where to play... e.g. LeBron considering leaving Cleveland, Avery Johnson choosing to coach New Jersey instead of his hometown New Orleans, Wade pretty much ruling out Chicago before the FA period even begins by saying the management is not loyal, etc...

Paul Pierce mentoring the next Paul Pierce (imo) Al-Farouq Aminu... perfect.

Guest STL10

Let's just consider that somehow he ends up with the Clippers...

C-Chris Kaman

PF-Blake Griffin

SF-Paul Pierce

SG-Eric Gordon

PG-Baron Davis

That's a pretty intimidating starting lineup. You bring Aminu, Bledsoe, Jordan, Blake (depending on whether they resign), and Butler (depending on whether they resign) off the bench and you have yourself a strong rotation. The run for the Celts is over, Paul Pierce has a couple strong years left in him so he should consider signing with the Clips. With that said, the Celts are pretty smart, and Paul Pierce is loyal to the franchise so they will probably work out some sort of agreement.

The Clippers are cursed.

Guest STL10

I didn't even realize he's a free agent...

I see this as being a possibility although I'm a bit taken by surprise that attachment to hometown does not have as much to do to players' decision where to play... e.g. LeBron considering leaving Cleveland, Avery Johnson choosing to coach New Jersey instead of his hometown New Orleans, Wade pretty much ruling out Chicago before the FA period even begins by saying the management is not loyal, etc...

Paul Pierce mentoring the next Paul Pierce (imo) Al-Farouq Aminu... perfect.

Avery took the NJ job due to the owner. The NO owners is a cheap bastard. Can I use that word on here?

Guest STL10

^Whatever the reason is, hometown attachment "should" prevail over all other factors... I guess they don't anymore.

It depends what your hometown is.

^Whatever the reason is, hometown attachment "should" prevail over all other factors... I guess they don't anymore.

Boston is like a second hometown to him at the moment given how long he has been there.

If Pierce does join them then they better build a hospital specifically for the Clippers players because I do not think this team will be able to last a whole season with all their main players playing more than 65+ games.

Pierce isn't going to the Clippers. He almost certainly opted out so he can renegotiate a new long-term deal before the CBA expires.

And if he does leave, he grew up a Lakers fan, not a Clippers fan. He's not going to go to his hometown just to play for the Clippers.