Nets FA Watch

New Jersey Nets

The Nets could be a real contender in the free agent game -- they have several promising young players (most notably center Brook Lopez and an excellent shot at the top overall pick in the 2010 draft), an owner with exceptionally deep pockets (Russian billionaire Mikhail Prokhorov, assuming his purchase of the team is approved this Spring), a celebrity investor popular with many NBA players (Jay-Z) and about $26 million to spend. On the other hand, the team is in the process of posting one of the worst records in NBA history, and no one really thinks LeBron James is interested in spending the next to seasons in Newark while the Nets' new Brooklyn arena is built.

I'll keep this thread updated with the Nets FA Moves.

Not sure if this site already has something for this :mellow:

Do you guys think the Nets have any realistic chance at landing one of the big names?

Preferably Wade or LeBron? (Wade seems to be sure he's heading back to MIA though)

C- Lopez

PF- Favors

SF- Lebron

SG- Terrence Williams

PG- Devin Harris

It's not the best lineup of all time or anything, but man oh man would I be in love.

I'd much rather just sign one big name and just put parts around him, maybe get lucky like the Lakers did and find another Gasol to compliment our star. If we throw the max at two players, we end up having a bench of scrubs.

I agree with this, I don't want to land two big name FA's when they really only need one big name guy, and to develop a few other guys. Terrence, Favors, etc.

I'd much rather just sign one big name and just put parts around him, maybe get lucky like the Lakers did and find another Gasol to compliment our star. If we throw the max at two players, we end up having a bench of scrubs.

Yeah, I agree. Along with the fact that we'd be sacrificing bench production, we aren't really in need of filling a starting spot with a free agent outside of SF. A healthy Harris and, of course, Brook, should be locked in at 1 and 5. Courtney Lee showed in his rookie year that he can impress when he's on a successful team. Being that Derrick Favors is a third pick, I wouldn't expect for it to be very long before he earns a starting spot, and Avery Johnson seems to have indicated that the Nets are keeping him rather than using him for a S&T. If we spend part of our cap space on competing for a big name's contract, we can have the rest for a backup PG, trying to bring back Humphries, and establishing a strong bench.

PG - Devin Harris

SG - Courtney Lee

SF - Josh Howard

PF - Dirk Nowitzki

C - Brook Lopez

PG - Terrence Williams / Tweety Carter

SG - Roger Mason Jr. / Marquis Daniels

SF - Kyle Korver / Viktor Khryapa

PF - Kris Humphries / Damion James

C - Derrick Favors / Josh Boone

That is the lineup I would like to see if no LeBron James. Bringing back a lot of Avery's former players in Dirk, Howard and Daniels to reunite with Harris as well. While we will have to spend in the upwards of $20 million dollars to get Dirk, a player lik Josh Howard, who had his best years with Avery as a coach. Avery has said that Howard plays hard and he plays smart and with the likes of Terrence Williams and rookie Damion James, he could easily be replaced as well.

As for the bench, we will see Williams take more of a PG role as well as Tweety Carter who Nets really like and will be playing on their summer league roster. The big key to the bench is Kyle Korver and Roger Mason. Nets struggled from behind the arc last year forcing double teams on Lopez and others attacking the net. These guys allow the floor to be open and create more chances.

As far as back up bigs, I can't see Kris Humphries turning down his player option and nobody is going to want him. Yi is still fairly young so I could see him being dealt. With free agency really lacking any big bangers, I could see the Nets bringing back Boone to help with Favors development.

Nets have 'tremendous' meeting with Lebron

The Nets were the first team to meet with LeBron James on Thursday and they came away feeling very confident about their chances of signing the two-time MVP.

A source close to the Nets said their meeting with LeBron was "tremendous."

When asked by ESPN.com's Chad Ford what tremendous meant, the source said: "Front runner tremendous."

New Jersey's presentation was led by owner Mikhail Prokhorov and part owner Jay-Z.

Read more: http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/67696/20100701/nets_have_tremendous_meeting_with_lebron/#ixzz0sSrccijL

James was "blown away" the insiders are saying. Also met with Wade, Bosh and I believe David Lee.

James is looking for the Nets to free up enough to sign two max contracts (Bosh, but maybe Amare), but I'd love to get Scola or something like that and build a team. Maybe since LeBron has been put with the talent of none max players, he wants to be paired up with a stud.

Either way, looks like we put a great effort out there win or lose.

James was "blown away" the insiders are saying. Also met with Wade, Bosh and I believe David Lee.

James is looking for the Nets to free up enough to sign two max contracts (Bosh, but maybe Amare), but I'd love to get Scola or something like that and build a team. Maybe since LeBron has been put with the talent of none max players, he wants to be paired up with a stud.

Either way, looks like we put a great effort out there win or lose.

Don't worry, my inside information is telling me that the Nets will get LeBron James.

Nets awaiting word from LeBron to clear more space to have second full max; would have to move Kris Humphries' contract to get 33 mill under

Not gonna lie, it didnt hit me until now but the Nets probably have the best surrounding cast for a superstar out of any team right now going for a big time player and the players know it meeting with them right away

Its looking really good right now to be honest

LeBron and Wade together in Jersey and we got Lopez and can trade Favors for a big time player but not as expensive like Lee wow or keep Favors for cheap and he can be unreal who knows for now...

Edited by xx.

Not gonna lie, it didnt hit me until now but the Nets probably have the best surrounding cast for a superstar out of any team right now going for a big time player and the players know it meeting with them right away

Its looking really good right now to be honest

LeBron and Wade together in Jersey and we got Lopez and can trade Favors for a big time player but not as expensive like Lee wow or keep Favors for cheap and he can be unreal who knows for now...

New Jersey has the best potential team for LeBron to go to.

PG- Harris

SG- Lee/Johnson?

SF- James

PF- Favors

C- Lopez

Restricted free agent Tyrus Thomas(notes) is on New Jersey’s radar as a fallback plan and could get a frontloaded offer sheet that would end his brief tenure with the Charlotte Bobcats, league sources said.

New Jersey has discussed deals for Thomas in the past, and Nets general manager Rod Thorn has long been intrigued with the 6-foot-10 forward. The Nets are waiting for LeBron James(notes), Chris Bosh(notes) and Dwyane Wade(notes) to make decisions.

Thomas has expressed a desire to keep playing for Bobcats coach Larry Brown, but it seems like owner Michael Jordan and GM Rod Higgins are willing to let Thomas get an offer sheet before making a decision on paying him. The Bobcats would have seven days to match after Thomas signs an offer sheet.

After a trade deadline deal from Chicago, Thomas averaged 10.1 points and 6.1 rebounds in 25 games for Charlotte.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AhUlI0Ds0C7pqD1nOo1Kjj45nYcB?slug=ys-freeagentbuzz070510