Bucks to sign Drew Gooden

Dash

Drew Gooden(notes) has reached agreement on a five-year, $32 million contract with the Milwaukee Bucks, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Gooden has played for eight teams in eight seasons, and hopes to find some stability with the fast-rising Bucks.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ys-goodenbucks070110

$32 million for 5 years? Yikes.

This is not good. All financial stability that we worked to achieve over the last few years is back to square one with this deal. This has Gadzuric written all over it. -_-

Plus, what are we going to do with Sanders now? He's not going to sit behind Gooden for five years.

I like Gooden but 5 years is just way to long. Not liking this too much.

How old is Drew Gooden? I know for a fact he's getting up there in age, and 5 years is way to long. A 12-15 million dollar deal over 2-3 years would've been much much more reasonable.

Although, with Gooden-Bogut up front, and Jennings at point, they could have something great next season.

Terrible signing.

Gooden had a very solid finish to the season last year with the Clippers, but that was during a contract year on a terrible team. Gooden isn't exacly known for bringing a consistent effort, especially after he has received a long term deal.

He fills a need for the Bucks because Sanders isn't capable of jumping right into the NBA, but Gooden is not the kind of player that you give a long term contract to. I wouldn't have given him anything more than 2 or 3 years to ensure that he isn't going to become complacent.

If it's a 5 year deal for 32 million, it is an awful deal. But rumors are going around that the 5th year might be a team option, and even the 4th year might be a team option. So it would be a 3 year 16 million dollar deal which is much more reasonable.

And the Bucks were going to save the money, let Redd expire next season, and then build the team through FA in 2011. That was the Bucks plan when Hammond took over, but you have to think about the run they made last season. With Salmons, they were the hottest team in basketball in the 2nd half, and without Bogut, they took the Hawks to 7 games. With Bogut, they would have easily beaten the Hawks. They won 46 games last year as well. Why not be aggresive in FA this year? Do you think Jennings and Bogut are going to be with the Bucks 4-5 years from now? The window is now, and Hammond realized that. If he would re-sign Salmons (rumored that they are close) then they have added everyone back from last season excluding Ridnor, and Thomas, but would have added Maggette, CDR, Sanders, Gooden. Talent wise, that team is much more better.

Here would be the Bucks team as of right now:

PG: Brandon Jennings

SG: John Salmons/CDR

SF: Corey Maggette/Carlos Delfino/Hobson

PF: Drew Gooden/Ersan/Luc Richard/Sanders

C: Andrew Bogut/Drew Gooden/Gallon

The Bucks could still get Ridnour and Thomas back as well.

Honestly, looking at that roster, it's MUCH more improved. And 50+ games isn't out of the question.

It's a steep price, but honestly I don't think it's that bad of a move. He's a VERY good rebounder, can score/finish, and he will certainly give the Bucks depth. It's a tough contract to swallow, but as another member mentioned, teams like Milwaukee will never win over any star players in free agency. I do think they could have scooped Gooden up for less, but he's a very solid player.

BadgerFan

From what I've heard everything about Gooden's contract is guaranteed, it's Salmons that may have the team options.

Also, if we resign Salmons for the rumored price, we will not be able to resign both Ridnour and Thomas.