Pistons trade Afflalo to Nuggets

Detroit traded Arron Afflalo(notes) and Walter Sharpe(notes) to Denver for a future second-round pick, a move that creates another $1.8 million in salary cap space for the Pistons, a league source said Monday.

Afflalo averaged 4.9 points and 16.4 minutes in 74 games for the Pistons last season. Sharpe appeared in only eight games as a rookie last season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AmVvuezr9_xkvhuehiwgIm68vLYF?slug=aw-pistonstrade071309&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Good move by Denver, Afflalo is a great backup guard and can replace Jones just fine. Sharpe is a decent prospect, he might turn out to be a good 9th or 10th player off the bench.

Don't like this move for Detroit but if they can sign Big Baby then it wouldn't be a bad trade at all.

This is a GREAT trade for us, someone on RealGM posted Afflalo's defense:

Seriously, his defensive stats are off the charts good.

He gave up 41.2% EFG, and 13.6 PER to opponents.

Comparing it to other players:

Dahntay Jones - 58% EFG, 19 PER (LOL that's atrocious)

Kobe - 50.3% EFG, 14.1 PER

Raja Bell - 53.5% EFG, 15.8 PER

Artest - 45.9% EFG, 12.3 PER

Wade - 48.7% EFG, 15.4 PER

Bowen - 40.2% EFG, 13.9 PER

So this makes him one of the best defensive players in the L actually... and he can shoot (40% 3PT) something that DJ has to still improve. I think DJ is more explosive when driving to the rim and "more unguardable" but Afflalo is not a stiff. He also plays better defense. He's not only a replacement but immediate improvement.

I love this trade, he's also a no non-sense guy will bring up maturity of the team... Afflalo and Lawson for almost nothing, Still $2 million left on MLE, still $8+ mil left on TPE, not to mention possible trades, loving the work of FO. :) :)

Edited by Snake

• Owner

Those numbers don't mean much. Do you really think Afflalo is one of the best defensive players in the NBA? Honestly?

The numbers reflect two things: his play against bench players (mostly), and his teammates' help defense while he is in the game.

If you were to start Afflalo, and put him on Bryant, Wade, or even Ray Allen, he would get lit up badly.

To put things into perspective, take Iverson's opponents' EFG% and compare.

Kobe - 50.3% EFG

Raja Bell - 53.5% EFG

Iverson - 50.8% EFG

Or Vujacic, at 45.9%.

Or Walton, at 47.3%.

Or Steve Nash, at 48.5%.

I'm supposed to believe that all of those guys are better than Kobe, defensively, and almost as good as Ron Artest?

Shane Batter - 47.1% EFG.

Vujacic is a better defensive player than Battier?

Afflalo is not a great defender. He was a good defender in college, and that's his ceiling in the pros...but he'll never be an elite defensive player.

^Hahah you know I'm never into crap stats like that myself so if it's misleading maybe it's misleading. All I know is watch and judge myself if he's good or not... and from the highlights I've seen he is pretty good... definitely not Steve Nash bad. He's solid. He is not shy with contact, he can play physical, maybe not as mobile as DJ (who is better athletically) but Afflalo might be a smarter defensive player.

I'm comparing him to DJ because he is essentially his replacement.

But it's nice to hear from a Laker fan's perspective :) we need to guard this lizard...

http://i39.tinypic.com/168xxkn.jpg

And were you not the one who once gushed about Afflalo? You said something like "he smelled the blood and he'd go for the kill" and wanted the Lakers to draft him?

Edited by Snake

The more I hear about him... the more I like him... :)

Afflalo will be the first guy on the court every morning... and last to leave... he's got active feet on D.

he's the guy sticking his nose middle of the pile coming up with the loose ball or hustle board.

He won't complain about minutes (even when he should)... he'll give you consistency even in short minutes.

A.A. has court smarts... he'll hit the open man or he'll take it hard to the rack.

His range shooting showed steady improvement... to where you started to gain confidence it was going in... but not a lot of unwanted chucking... just steady smart play.

With the A.I. situation Aaron got burried on the pines for a while... this led to some rusty play until A.I. got the his walking papers.

A solid defender... not a premier athlete but he anticipates well and keeps his man in front of him... an annoying defender seems to fit.

Gonna miss Afflalo... he's fearless....

He's a guy that comes in without baggage... the ultimate pro... the guy that you won't worry about fitting in. He's going to get his job done... and his teammates will love him. Okay enough of this man crush... lol it's important he stays healthy...

• Owner

I don't think I wanted the Lakers to take him because he couldn't play the point, and we needed a point guard that could back up Fisher.

I wanted Stuckey to fall, but Crittenton did instead, and I was actually satisfied with that pick, for some reason.

Today, I would've rather had Afflalo than Crittenton...but I believe Sessions was also in that draft, and so was Rudy Fernandez.

Either way, Arron came out of UCLA as a Raja Bell comparison. The defense is there, yes, but in the NBA, he's nothing more than a good defensive player on his best day.

On the contrary, yes...he's a very hard worker and will do his best to produce for the team, offensively (from the perimeter) or defensively.

Lol, you guys watch a video of some of his highlights look at some stats and now he's a star.

Well really no one other then Snake said that/did that ..

lol at Brandon putting that puppy down .. I was gonna say those stats looked off anyway .. Better defender then Kobe? .. Come on now ..