Cliff Lee Update: All signs point to Yankees completing this deal

Cobb

Yeah I'm surprised the Sox didn't step up. This makes me think we have some suitors for Vazquez and I guess the Front Office thinks they can get some good players back for him.

I dunno, this rotation IMO is already good enough to win a title so I'm not sure if I would've given up one of our top prospects for a guy we can just sign in the offseason.

Too bad for the Yankees that they are barely leading the division even though the Red Sox have been riddled with injuries.

Once they get healthy, bye bye Yankees!

Right.

So, a half-season of Lee is going to grab the Mariners Jesus Montero ++. For a full season of Lee, all Ruben Amaro was able to pick up were 3 guys who will probably never play for the Phillies. But oh wait, he was able to "replenish the farm" so it's all good. Good god.

Wow the Yankees piss me off, how come the Mariners are only listening to them though... that's gay too. :wacko:

I really don't see the Mariners getting a better offer. This offer (if true) is basically everything they need. The Yankees and Twins (and maybe Rangers) seemed like the only legitimate possibilities, due to strong catching prospects.

This has nothing to do with the Yankees having "money" or whatever.

The Yankees are five games ahead with the Sox missed Pedroia, Lowell, Beckett, Dice-K(for a while), Ellsburry, Martinez, ect.

Not to mention that Boston still has superior pitching unless Lee arrives.

Sox have the division on lock.

Granderson was out a month and hasn't hit anyways... Posada was out for two weeks, Thames was out for almost a month, Chan Ho was gone for a while. Nick Johnson, our #2 hitter, has been out since early May. For a few weeks, we trotted out Ramiro Pena, Francisco Cervelli, Juan Miranda, and Kevin Russo in our every day lineup. You are not the only team who's been injured, lol... Not to mention that our guys aren't hitting where they should, and things tend to work themselves out over the course of a season.

Sox have the division on lock just as much as the Nets had LBJ on lock, lol.

Oh, haha, and superior pitching? Yankees team ERA is 7th, Red Sox are 22nd.

Granderson was out a month and hasn't hit anyways... Posada was out for two weeks, Thames was out for almost a month, Chan Ho was gone for a while. Nick Johnson, our #2 hitter, has been out since early May. For a few weeks, we trotted out Ramiro Pena, Francisco Cervelli, Juan Miranda, and Kevin Russo in our every day lineup. You are not the only team who's been injured, lol... Not to mention that our guys aren't hitting where they should, and things tend to work themselves out over the course of a season.

Sox have the division on lock just as much as the Nets had LBJ on lock, lol.

Oh, haha, and superior pitching? Yankees team ERA is 7th, Red Sox are 22nd.

If both teams make the playoffs, you don't need a full staff. Lester and Bucholtz have been superior to everyone on your team not named Pettite.

Also, stop comparing those players to the Red Sox injured players because it's no comparison. Not one of them is better than any of the major injured players on the Sox, and there's no bias there.

If both teams make the playoffs, you don't need a full staff. Lester and Bucholtz have been superior to everyone on your team not named Pettite.

Also, stop comparing those players to the Red Sox injured players because it's no comparison. Not one of them is better than any of the major injured players on the Sox, and there's no bias there.

You are such a stereotypical Sox fan. Not going to bother.

You are such a stereotypical Sox fan. Not going to bother.

No, you just know that you are wrong and can't compare the injuries to both teams because the injuries to the Sox are much more impactful.

However, if the Yankees get Cliff Lee, I would say they have a 90% chance of winning the division, but if it falls through, I give them a 45% chance.

It's alright, you can cry next year when Adrian Gonzolez joins the Sox.

2:44pm: The Mariners are backing off, according to Sherman. The Yankees believe they are no longer in the Lee sweepstakes, as the M's have gone in another direction (all Twitter links). Sherman says 'the Yankees aren't getting Cliff Lee,' since another team has entered discussions aggressively.

Good news for Yankees fans

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Jesus Montero noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

If this is for a half year rental, and Lee leaves this offseason, I'll sob.

I will LOL only because he doesn't even make the Yankees that much better Vazquez is likely to come around eventually...if you are going to give up your top prospect then make sure it improves your team greatly...

Sigh of relief! I was listening to Francesa and 1050 in the car for over an hour hoping to hear the rumors off. I thought there was no way to turn back around when they "were putting the finishing touches on the deal."

I saw quite a few issues in this deal.

1) The obvious observation was that all five of our starting pitchers have been outstanding as of late. What was the point of building on something that was already dominant? Even if someone gets injured, we have Ace hopefully on his way back as well as Gaudin to give us some assistance.

2) Francesa brought up an interesting point. C.C. was a significant pickup when we added him, and it was filling in a hole. The Tex signing was also filling in a slot that was somewhat empty. This deal, though, seemed to be taking a big step forward in possibly knocking down competition. "Overkill" was the word Francesa used, and I think I agree.

3) This deal could have also made a turn for the worse. We already gave up Austin Jackson, someone fans were anticipating to see in the big leagues for a while, in the Granderson deal. Montero's arrival in the big leagues, regardless of whether he's ready as a catcher, has been anticipated by Yankee fans for a while now. If we gave him in the three-man package that included McAllister and David Adams, who knows whether we'd be seeing incredible stars rising in Seattle. Meanwhile, looking at all possibilities, bringing Lee back would not be a guarantee. If he signed somewhere else after this season rather than returning to New York, this deal may have been looked back at as a nightmare.