Lee: 'My experience in Seattle has been great'

Warren2ThaG

http://blog.seattlepi.com/baseball/library/LeeCliffTrade.jpg

Midway through Friday's rumblings and rumors, Cliff Lee sent Jack Zduriencik a text message asking if he thought he was going to be pitching the evening's game against the New York Yankees, as scheduled.

"I"ll be in touch with you shortly," the Mariners general manager texted back.

A little while later Lee got a phone call from Zduriencik informing him he was headed not to the New York Yankees, as the veteran pitcher expected, but to the Texas Rangers.

For the 31-year-old pitcher, it's a last-to-first move as he goes from the struggling Mariners to a Texas team that leads the American League West by 5 1/2 games, the largest margin in baseball, with a 50-35 record.

"Anytime you get traded there is uncertainty and you don't know what to expect," Lee said at a hastily-called press conference at Safeco Field before catching a 5:15 p.m. flight to Texas. "But I do know one thing. They've got a great team and they're in first place. I'm just going to go there and do everything I can to help them with the direction they're already heading."

Lee will be joining his fourth team in two seasons. He was traded from Cleveland to Philadelphia in midseason last year, in time to help the Phillies win the World Series. Now he'll try to do the same in his move from Seattle to Texas.

"My experience in Seattle has been great," he said. "Great fans, great teammates. I love the guys. Unbelievable. The weather is just starting to get nice and now I'm gone. But it's been a good ride.

---

http://blog.seattlepi.com/baseball/archives/214084.asp?source=rss

He's a good pitcher, yet he's bounced all over the place.

Yeah...I guess it's because no one wants to pay him this upcoming year, and they want something in return.

I'm sure he'll be a Yankee in 2011.

He's a good pitcher, yet he's bounced all over the place.

Yep, four teams in the last year or so. Crazy stuff. Unfortunately, like JYD said, he'll probably end up a Yankee once this season is over. :(