I like what the Nets are doing

I like what the Nets have been doing this off season. They missed out in the Lebron sweepstakes, but instead they have been stock piling role players. The additions of Travis Outlaw, Johan Petro, and Jordan Farmar, as well as Derrick Favors and Damion James make this a very deep roster. They are still under the cap too, so if they can get there hands on a star next year like Carmelo Anthony, then this team will look pretty darn good.

I don't... you use your max money to bring in impact players and stars, you use future MLE's to get role players.

Basically I think they should have just stood pat, sign some 1 year guys and tank again, use their cap next year.

Edited by travesy3

last time i checked, role players don't win games in the NBA. It's a league driven by the stars. look at how boston went from worst to 1st with the stars they brought in...

Edited by JYD

Obviously these aren't the guys that are going to win them games. But these are the guys that are going to help out. If you read my original post, they brought in all these role players, but still have a lot of unused money. They came into the free agency period with around $25 millions dollars in cap space, and have not spent close to that. So adding these role players is a good idea if they go out next summer and use that money on a stud like Melo. Come on boys, read the full post, yall are better then that.

Basically I think they should have just stood pat, sign some 1 year guys and tank again, use their cap next year.

Seriously? That would be your plan if you ran this team? You got a bunch of young guys with bright futures like Brook Lopez, Devin Harris, Derrick Favors, Terrence Williams, and Damion James, and you want them to go out there and tank it? Why not surround them with a supporting cast, and push them along to the next level. Then when you add another big time player next year, you have a young core group of players that have some experience playing at a higher level, and are excited about what they can do.

I don't... you use your max money to bring in impact players and stars, you use future MLE's to get role players.

Yes because that worked out perfectly for so many teams this year. :lol:

• Like 1

Yeah I like our team too now actually .. I am happy we haven't blown money on a PF too. I don't have a clue why we got rid of Yi. That was a horrible horrible move but elsewise alls good.

The same reason we got rid of Dooling. LeBron's puppet game.

Obviously these aren't the guys that are going to win them games. But these are the guys that are going to help out. If you read my original post, they brought in all these role players, but still have a lot of unused money. They came into the free agency period with around $25 millions dollars in cap space, and have not spent close to that. So adding these role players is a good idea if they go out next summer and use that money on a stud like Melo. Come on boys, read the full post, yall are better then that.

Yeah, but what if they don't land a 'Melo. Plus, a Carmelo Anthony may put them into the playoffs, but that doesn't make them championship caliber.

Honestly, I would not be surprised at all if we made the playoffs this year.

Oh come on man, the team is pretty darn weak. There are some nice role players in there now, but the team is only slightly improved from last year. At most the Nets win 30-35 games.

Honestly, I would not be surprised at all if we made the playoffs this year.

If Devin Harris stays healthy and plays like an absolute star you guys can start thinking about the possibility of the playoffs, other than that, sorry, Nets just aren't that good.

Damn, you're hating on what a lot of teams did during the offseason. The Raptors...if anything definitely had a worse offseason than the Nets.

Also, according to every single Knick fan here, we did absolutely nothing this offseason.... the expectations a team from the worlds best city had failed completely, sorry Knick fans if you have a grudge.

I completely 100 percent guarantee you that the Nets will have a better record than the Knicks next season

The bottom of the East is still very weak, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Nets squeek through. The Heat, Magic, Celtics, Hawks, Bulls, Bucks are all locks to make the playoffs. After that it gets very sketchy and makes the 7 and 8 seeds wide open. It gets so bad after the first 6 that any combination of remaining EC teams do have a shot.

Oh come on man, the team is pretty darn weak. There are some nice role players in there now, but the team is only slightly improved from last year. At most the Nets win 30-35 games.

You clearly didn't follow the Nets last year. We had multiple injuries and it was clear we were tanking last year.

Also, you guys are overrating the Knicks, like Knick fans do every year. Yes Amare was an excellent pick-up but if you guys think he is going to single-handedly carry the team you are insane.

They need a superstar if they ever want to compete in the East lmao, Brook will be gone if not.

That's a bold statement two years into someone's career saying our best player will leave a brand new franchise. Did you say that about Durant going into his third year too?

I completely 100 percent guarantee you that the Nets will have a better record than the Knicks next season

lol ok

You clearly didn't follow the Nets last year. We had multiple injuries and it was clear we were tanking last year.

Also, you guys are overrating the Knicks, like Knick fans do every year. Yes Amare was an excellent pick-up but if you guys think he is going to single-handedly carry the team you are insane.

I don't even think the Knicks will make the playoffs. I think the Knicks are gonna win 38-40 games and miss the playoffs.

But I think the Nets are going to win at most 30 games with their current roster.

This has nothing to do with the Knicks, this thread is simply about the Nets.

• Owner

Both New York and New Jersey can slide into that eighth...just depends on how well they play as a team. I am still convinced the Nets tanked, though. Harris and Lopez, and the role players they had, may not have been able to win 40 games...but they nearly tied the worst record in league history. I'm not a believer.

Given the team they have now, and assuming Favors won't be an absolute bust his rookie season, the Nets can be a 40-win team out East...and that's enough to get in.

New York? Same thing, with Amare, Felton, Gallinari, Chandler and Randolph. That's not a bad team at all.

Damn, you're hating on what a lot of teams did during the offseason. The Raptors...if anything definitely had a worse offseason than the Nets.

What do the Raptors have to do with this, I just commented on the topic, I don't think I am hating at all.

I just think that you use your max cap on max players, the MLE is there so you can get guys in that 5/35 million dollar range.... there would have been no harm (long term) in adding another top 5 pick this coming season and then using their huge amount of cap next off-season. What is the sense in fighting for an 8th seed when you could add another top 5 pick and a potential superstar the following FA.

I am not opposed to the signings, I just don't particularly agree with them.... and I don't really see how the Raptors have had a worse off-season since they had no expectations coming in, if anything our off-season has been better because we accomplished our goals, while the Nets walked away from the major FA empty handed.

But I think the Nets are going to win at most 30 games with their current roster.

I can understand where you are coming from because we tanked so bad last year but I think we can win atleast 35 games this year.

Harris will play like an all-star with Avery coaching him. Lopez is one of the best big men in the East. And the rest of our roster is filled with youth, that maybe busts or maybe great. Who knows. I just feel like people are really underrating the Nets simply because of the obvious tanking we did last year.