Breaking Down The Trades

An F for the Wizards acquiring Yi? We got him for literally nothing and will provide a huge void for the absence of Blatche, who will be missing part of the beginning of the season. I can't possibly see why that was a bad move when we gave up Quinton Ross, who wouldn't have seen the floor once had we kept him.

I agree with your grades for the most part, and as usual, a good read.

I like the direction the Warriors are taking, and they managed to get a pretty big time offensive player in David Lee to compliment Ellis and Curry. His pick in roll game will perfect in Nelson's system. Plus I heard he's extending his range to the 3 point line.

I also like the Warriors' replacement for Maggette in Dorell Wright, who will add length and athleticism in the front court, and his shooting and playmaking ability will benefit the team as well.

Randolph may potentially prove to be a high reward for New York. We'll just have to wait and see how that turns out. Maybe he'll somehow respond differently to D'Antoni than he did with Nelson.

BTW, congrats on your 1,000th post :P

I don't see how the Knicks trading a guy they would have gotten absolutley nothing for had he gone to the Nets or Kings is a bad trade for them.

agreed completely.

For the Bucks... as it stands now Ridnour, Stackhouse, and Thomas will all be playing for teams other than the Bucks next season.

They'll try to bring Ridnour back if they can afford him, and Thomas if he wants to come back. Stackhouse will probably try the old sit out half of a season and see if the Bucks need him in February.

An F for the Wizards acquiring Yi? We got him for literally nothing and will provide a huge void for the absence of Blatche, who will be missing part of the beginning of the season. I can't possibly see why that was a bad move when we gave up Quinton Ross, who wouldn't have seen the floor once had we kept him.

It's because when Yi does see the floor, you'll wish you had Ross on your team not seeing the floor.

Awww I wanted to see your take on the Turk/Childress trades for the Suns :(

Oh well, still a great writeup again EB.

News was just breaking as I wrote this and I want to wait for most deals to be finalized. I'll probably have a free agent write up this weekend, and then a third article taking care of everything I didn't catch early next week.

I agree with your grades for the most part, and as usual, a good read.

I like the direction the Warriors are taking, and they managed to get a pretty big time offensive player in David Lee to compliment Ellis and Curry. His pick in roll game will perfect in Nelson's system. Plus I heard he's extending his range to the 3 point line.

I also like the Warriors' replacement for Maggette in Dorell Wright, who will add length and athleticism in the front court, and his shooting and playmaking ability will benefit the team as well.

Randolph may potentially prove to be a high reward for New York. We'll just have to wait and see how that turns out. Maybe he'll somehow respond differently to D'Antoni than he did with Nelson.

BTW, congrats on your 1,000th post :P

lol, ,I had no idea that was my 1000'th post. Thanks for pointing that out!

And yeah, the Warriors have gotten rid of projects and upgraded their frontcourt with Lee. Wright's one of the most polished players on their team, and they'll have money to play with next offseason when Gadzuric and Radmanovic' healthy sized contracts come off the cap.

It's because there's basically nothing there. A project and some "mehs" for an All-Star.

Scouts say Randolph has the most potential of any player in 2008 draft, including Derrick Rose. However you said it yourself even if Lee was on our team he'd be of no use to us, which would make it a B- imo. However, Lee isn't even our team and was probably signing somewhere else, I think getting the potential Randolph brings back for basically nothing is an absolute steal. Guess it all depends on how you look at it.

Scouts say Randolph has the most potential of any player in 2008 draft, including Derrick Rose. However you said it yourself even if Lee was on our team he'd be of no use to us, which would make it a B- imo. However, Lee isn't even our team and was probably signing somewhere else, I think getting the potential Randolph brings back for basically nothing is an absolute steal. Guess it all depends on how you look at it.

It also depends on when the team wants to be competitive. They didn't clear all this cap space and sign Amare to develop projects.

I still hate everything about what the Bucks did this off-season, was pretty Colangelo-esque.

But look at what they did. They acquired talent in Gooden and Maggette for nothing in Bell and Gadzuric. They upgraded two positions. Keep in mind, their alternative after Maggette to start at the wing is Carlos Delfino.

The Bucks played a Hawks team that flat out quit last postseason and still couldn't beat them. They had so much trouble scoring and generating offense when Jennings wasn't hitting his jumpers. They added offensive versatility, and Gooden isn't a worse defender than Illyasova, or Gadzuric.

People assume that Maggette's a dog...the guy works hard on offense and puts teams in the penalty just by cutting hard. He's the only perimeter guy the Bucks have who can put the opposing team in the penalty. He won't complain because he'll be one of their go-to options and he'll be playing for a coach who'll get him to buy in.

They hope that by giving him a shorter leash defensively, he'll play hard on that end.

Yeah, the contracts are long, especially for Gooden. What major free agent wants to play in Milwaukee though? Carmelo Anthony isn't playing for the Bucks next year. Milwaukee's making a play to win a playoff series this year and they've put themselves in position to do so. They still have a huge chip with Michael Redd's golden expiring contract ready to fetch them a piece at the trade deadline.

People hated on Maggette in Golden Sate because Monta Ellis is a golden boy despite being just as ball hungry, just as bad on defense, and even more inefficient. Maggette's a nice scapegoat. But the dude can still play and fill a role the Bucks badly need.

• Like 2

They'll try to bring Ridnour back if they can afford him, and Thomas if he wants to come back. Stackhouse will probably try the old sit out half of a season and see if the Bucks need him in February.

Hammond has come out saying it's highly unlikely that we'll be keeping Ridnour. 1) He has offers worth much more money than we're willing to give and 2) He's been offered starting roles.

We no longer have a need for Stackhouse as we have players in Salmons, CDR, Delfino, and Hobson that will be able to replicate what he did for us last season.

Thomas is the most likely to come back although even that isn't looking too bright. I'd love to bring him back for another year or two, especially with Bogut's injury history. It would be really nice to have a solid veteran ready in case something happens.

To add to what's been said, the outcome of the Hawks - Bucks series could have changed dramatically had Bogut been healthy.

Considering how AB has become a top 3 center in the league, and Jennings still has yet to tap into his potential, the Bucks could end up improving their record a good deal next year. If Salmons can keep up the same level of play, and if Skiles can train Maggette properly, they may end up surprising some people come playoff time.

As they say... fear the deer! Lol.

• Like 1

To add to what's been said, the outcome of the Hawks - Bucks series could have changed dramatically had Bogut been healthy.

Considering how AB has become a top 3 center in the league, and Jennings still has yet to tap into his potential, the Bucks could end up improving their record a good deal next year. If Salmons can keep up the same level of play, and if Skiles can train Maggette properly, they may end up surprising some people come playoff time.

As they say... fear the deer! Lol.

Very true. I'd like to see Jennings improve his shooting to over 40%. If he can do that along with perfect his floater, he's going to be very tough to defend.

Salmons doesn't even need to replicate what he did for us those 30 games last season. He talked with Hammond before signing and realized he'd play a smaller role. With the additions of Maggette, Gooden, and CDR it's likely he'll be taking less shots per game - and he's fine with that.

I just hope Bogut can make it back 100% by the start of the season and stay healthy all the way through. He's the anchor and clear-cut leader of this team. We can't afford for him to keep getting hurt.

Also, Redd's expiring contract could be used at the deadline this year to get us some extra talent as we make our playoff push.

Fear the Dear! :dribble:

How can one say that the Bucks are having a bad off-season? They resigned Salmons who fit that offensive perfectly and played a great role. They added another scorer, Maggette. They added a solid bigman into the rotation who will start besides in Bogut, who is Gooden.

PG - Jennings

SG - Salmons

SF - Maggette

PF - Gooden

C - Bogut

If anything.... the Bucks have only made themselves a lot better.

How can one say that the Bucks are having a bad off-season? They resigned Salmons who fit that offensive perfectly and played a great role. They added another scorer, Maggette. They added a solid bigman into the rotation who will start besides in Bogut, who is Gooden.

PG - Jennings

SG - Salmons

SF - Maggette

PF - Gooden

C - Bogut

If anything.... the Bucks have only made themselves a lot better.

Redd? You're not telling me that you think Redd is going to be on the bench behind Salmons, are you?

The Bucks haven't had a bad off-season, but they haven't made any real steps forward. I mean, Gooden and Maggette are good acquisitions, but good doesn't win you many more games. Gooden has been on 9 teams in 8 years and the only time he's playing well is when he's on a bad team during the final months of a season. If I recall, he was okay for the Spurs and okay for the Cavaliers when he played for them, but both teams could have used any other forward and they would have been at exactly the same place as they were with Gooden. Signing Gooden seemed more a move that made sense because of his good trade value and low price more than it did a signing for a player they expect to be there for more than a season or two.

As for Maggette.. well at least they have another scorer, albeit a selfish one. But the Bucks problem has been a lack of a go-to scorer when Redd goes out. At least Maggette can be counted upon to step up and provide. I like Maggette, just not for the Bucks.

Redd? You're not telling me that you think Redd is going to be on the bench behind Salmons, are you?

The Bucks haven't had a bad off-season, but they haven't made any real steps forward. I mean, Gooden and Maggette are good acquisitions, but good doesn't win you many more games. Gooden has been on 9 teams in 8 years and the only time he's playing well is when he's on a bad team during the final months of a season. If I recall, he was okay for the Spurs and okay for the Cavaliers when he played for them, but both teams could have used any other forward and they would have been at exactly the same place as they were with Gooden. Signing Gooden seemed more a move that made sense because of his good trade value and low price more than it did a signing for a player they expect to be there for more than a season or two.

As for Maggette.. well at least they have another scorer, albeit a selfish one. But the Bucks problem has been a lack of a go-to scorer when Redd goes out. At least Maggette can be counted upon to step up and provide. I like Maggette, just not for the Bucks.

Michael Redd is overrated, hes definitely going to be on the bench behind Salmons.