Source: Jazz in serious talks to acquire Jefferson

Newman

The Utah Jazz have quickly moved into the lead to acquire Al Jefferson and were actively trying Monday night to complete a deal with Minnesota, according to NBA front-office sources.

Sources told ESPN.com that the Jazz and Timberwolves are engaged in serious discussions on a deal that would slot Jefferson's contract into the $14 million trade exception that Utah created earlier this week in its sign-and-trade deal with Chicago for Carlos Boozer.

It was not immediately known what Minnesota would receive in return, but Utah can complete such a deal without sending back any players to the Wolves. Sources with knowledge of Minnesota's thinking said Monday that the Wolves' main aim in shopping Jefferson in recent weeks has been securing multiple future first-round picks and taking back as little salary as possible.

...Although Utah has Paul Millsap primed to replace Boozer, responding to Boozer's departure by immediately bringing in Jefferson would be a strong statement of intent to star guard Deron Williams, who raised eyebrows in February when he expressed frustration regarding the salary-dumping trade of guard Ronnie Brewer to Memphis.

In a thinly veiled challenge to management, Williams said of uncertainty about Utah's spending plans this summer: "That's why I signed a three-year deal."

Source

I really hope that the Jazz acquire more players. They can do big things with solid depth IMO.

Some dude on RealGM said it the best...

- Kahn inherits a talented 20/10 PF in Jefferson, acquired for KG

- Put Jefferson in a system that's the worst possible fit for his offensive strengths. No playmaker, no shooter, and the triangle

- Waited until his value was at an all time low through a combination of beforementioned fit issues, an injury, and a near historically bad losing season

- Sold Jefferson when value's at all time low for nothing but meaningless capspace.

Absolutely hilarious. Kahn might already be a bottom 5 GM ever. Dude is a classic.

For the Jazz, I like the move. They lost a lot this offseason, and even if Jefferson isn't the perfect fit, he will still help keep them competitive. I'm very excited to see Jefferson on a good team with a great PG, along with some national TV exposure...hope he does well.

Some dude on RealGM said it the best...

For the Jazz, I like the move. They lost a lot this offseason, and even if Jefferson isn't the perfect fit, he will still help keep them competitive. I'm very excited to see Jefferson on a good team with a great PG, along with some national TV exposure...hope he does well.

Rumors for the win. Right?

Rumors for the win. Right?

Well the Jazz seem to be the front-runners for Jefferson, and the Jazz owner tweeted he just approve of a major roster move that he'll announce tomorrow. Of course that could be a different move, but the indication seems to be the deal is just about done.

Edited by Nitro1118

Well the Jazz seem to be the front-runners for Jefferson, and the Jazz owner tweeted he just approve of a major roster move that he'll announce tomorrow. Of course that could be a different move, but the indication seems to be the deal is just about done.

What I was trying to get to is that people are believing rumors, thus making Kahn look bad. That's all. ;)

• Owner

What I was trying to get to is that people are believing rumors, thus making Kahn look bad. That's all. ;)

Well, if he does this, he's going to look bad. I really hope the Wolves trade Jefferson for some role players, at least. His value is down a bit, but teams still realize that he is a borderline all-star player when he's healthy, possibly an all-star reserve.

Well, if he does this, he's going to look bad. I really hope the Wolves trade Jefferson for some role players, at least. His value is down a bit, but teams still realize that he is a borderline all-star player when he's healthy, possibly an all-star reserve.

If he does. :(

SpearsNBAYahoo: Wolves to trade Jefferson to Jazz for future 1st rd pick, 1st rd pick from Mem in Brewer trade and a trade exception, Y! Sports has learned.

What a steal for Utah.

Jazz got a steal here. They gave up basically nothing. That pick from Memphis is protected like crazy and I highly doubt it ever actually becomes a pick. in 2015 I believe, if it hasn't been used it becomes cash. the Jazz pick will likely be in the the 20s, and with the Jazz history of draft success, or lack there of, I am not concerned because it means one less blown draft pick for the Jazz. and Kosta Koufos sucks. Other than his Boom [expletive]es! moment he's done nothing and has shown nothing.

GREAT news for the Jazz. I thought they were going to have a horrible season because of Boozer leaving and going to the Bulls leaving Deron and the Jazz on his back. But with Jefferson, Deron won't have his team on his back and will play like he used to with Boozer. He will still have a lot of assists and will get so much help from Jefferson on the offensive and defensive end. Jefferson is a great rebounder even though he wasn't that present this season compared to before. Anyways, amazing for the Jazz. They're going to have a good season

He's the Jazz savior. Without him and Boozer leaving... your team would go down ... really down

Lol i think it might be both ways. Without us Jefferson would never be able to experience having a winning record for more then a week lol

Lol i think it might be both ways. Without us Jefferson would never be able to experience having a winning record for more then a week lol

hahahaa that's also true. Wolves would never get him far, but Jazz with such a nice core have always a chance to make the playoffs unlike the Wolves. So yeah both ways. I prefer my way though :lol: