Nike warn LeBron to change attitude back in 06

A different discussion had played out within the NBA and USA Basketball: What should we do with LeBron?

From Team USA coach Mike Krzyzewski to managing director Jerry Colangelo to NBA elders, the issue of James’ immaturity and downright disrespectfulness had become a consuming topic on the march to the Olympics. The course of history could’ve changed dramatically, because there was a real risk that James wouldn’t be brought to Beijing based on fears his monumental talents weren’t worth the daily grind of dealing with him.

When the mandate had been to gather these immense egos and get the NBA’s greatest players to fit into a program, no one had a more difficult time meshing into the framework than James. Other players made it a point to learn the names of staffers and modestly go about their business without barking orders and brash demands.

No one could stand James as a 19-year-old in the 2004 Athens Olympics, nor the 2006 World Championships. Officials feared James could become the instigator of everything they wanted to rid themselves for the ’08 Olympics.

For as gifted as James was, Krzyzewski and Colangelo subscribed to a belief that with Kobe Bryant joining the national team in 2007, they could win a gold medal in ’08 with or without LeBron James. Behind the scenes, officials had taken to calling James’ inner circle, “The Enablers.” No one ever told him to grow up. No one ever challenged him. And yet, James was still a powerful pull for his teammates, and everyone had to agree they could no longer let his bossy and belittling act go unchecked. These weren’t the Cleveland Cavaliers, and Team USA wasn’t beholden to him.

After the NBA witnessed the behavior of James and his business manager Maverick Carter during the 2007 All-Star Weekend, the commissioner’s office sent word to USA Basketball the league wouldn’t force James on them for the Olympics. Before Team USA gathered for the 2007 Tournament of the Americas in Las Vegas, an unmistakable message had been delivered to James through Nike: Unless you change, we’re serious about leaving you home.

“Legacies were on the line,” one league official said, “and they weren’t going to let LeBron [expletive] it up for everyone in China.”

Through Nike, James ultimately heeded the message and became more tolerable to coaches, teammates and staff. Team USA assigned Jason Kidd to babysit him at the Tournament of the Americas in 2007, to try to teach him something the Cavaliers never had a veteran to do: professionalism.

Is this the beginning of dirty secrets of LeBron being made open to the public?

Is it safe to say that Kobe is no longer the most hated player in basketball?

On a serious note I think it's safe now to say that LeBron James is now the most hated man in the NBA.

Edited by magicbalala245

Who hates Kobe?

Ohhh how I'd like to knoooooow :lol: :lol:

I believe it iiis safe to say Kobe is no longer the most hated man in the NBA. After Lebron left, I feel like people have kinda forgotten about Kobe in a sense. The focus for the past week or so have all been on Lebron, and I'm sure it'll definitely continue through the season.

The difference is that Kobe wasn't hated for his play and choices in the NBA. He was always an amazing player that kept his mouth shut and shut everyone else up with his performances. They hated him for his off-court issues. LeBron is hated because of the choices he's made in the NBA. LeBron is more deserving of the 'most hated' title than Kobe ever was.

Edited by Jammin
  • Like 3

The difference is that Kobe wasn't hated for his play and choices in the NBA. He was always an amazing player that kept his mouth shut and shut everyone else up with his performances. They hated him for his off-court issues. LeBron is hated because of the choices he's made in the NBA. LeBron is more deserving of the 'most hated' title than Kobe ever was.

I disagree with this. Besides the rape case, Kobe was hated solely on his choices he made in the NBA. Not saying it was deserved, but between being perceieved to have run Shaq out of town (and all the hoopla those two caused the previous few seasons), trashing Bynum on home-video, demanding to be traded, the Phil Jackson book...there's plenty of things to pick on Kobe for.

Above all else, Kobe was hated because he's a Laker. After the 2010 FA starts to fade from people's minds once basketball resumes, people outside of Cleveland will hate LeBron for the same reason...he'll be on a powerhouse team that wins.

• Like 1

I disagree with this. Besides the rape case, Kobe was hated solely on his choices he made in the NBA. Not saying it was deserved, but between being perceieved to have run Shaq out of town (and all the hoopla those two caused the previous few seasons), trashing Bynum on home-video, demanding to be traded, the Phil Jackson book...there's plenty of things to pick on Kobe for.

Above all else, Kobe was hated because he's a Laker. After the 2010 FA starts to fade from people's minds once basketball resumes, people outside of Cleveland will hate LeBron for the same reason...he'll be on a powerhouse team that wins.

Yeah I guess that's true.. I forgot about the whole Bynum situation. I think that that whole situation put him in a bad light, but anyone in that position would have said the same thing [JKidd > Bynum at the time].

Also, it was only a short-believed theory that Kobe ran Shaq out of town, then everyone saw how Shaq was a bigger instigator of the two. Many players have demanded to be traded too, just not high profile as Kobe. He was frustrated, and I can see why. They went from a powerhouse to a lowly team in a few months.

Many players have demanded to be traded too, just not high profile as Kobe. He was frustrated, and I can see why. They went from a powerhouse to a lowly team in a few months.

See to me, Kobe demanding the trade was the same as LeBron taking the shorter contract extension back in 2006. Kobe forced his team's hand in a way where he had some control over the situation. In return he got Gasol a few months later, and a little over a year after that, Artest. That was on top of a solid young core they already had (and Odom and Phil Jackson). LeBron gave his team an ultimatum back in 2006. In 4 years he basically got Mo Williams for 2 seasons, and Jamison for half a season (along with his mid-30's age and big contract). On top of those moves, they had very little young talent and an average head coach.

The way each handled their situations wasn't the best, but if the Lakers didn't grab Gasol in one of the most lobsided trades in NBA history, we have no idea what the fallout would have been on Kobe's part. The difference is the Lakers made great moves and put them in a position to win championships. The Cavs made solid moves but still needed super-human performances from LeBron to have a shot against the top team (see- 2009 ECF...LeBron averaged 39/8/8 and they lost in 6).

What was LBJ like 22? What 22 year old who's already got the biggest marketing deal in the league and arguably the best player in the game isn't gonna have a I'm the [expletive] type of attitude?

What was LBJ like 22? What 22 year old who's already got the biggest marketing deal in the league and arguably the best player in the game isn't gonna have a I'm the [expletive] type of attitude?

Its called being humble and quiet. A lot of superstars demonstrate those qualities like say kevin durant the youngest player to win the scoring title. No one just said no to lebron before

I just have to look at the author of this article to know it's a load of crap. :lol: . Not to mention Yahoo blows at covering sports. :lol: .

Because Adrian Wojnarowski is a load of crap? This guys knows trade's before they are announced take a look at his twitter account.

Because Adrian Wojnarowski is a load of crap? This guys knows trade's before they are announced take a look at his twitter account.

So does every guys from ESPN. Your point?

If LeBron weren't Gay, none of this would have happened. Oh, and Bosh is Gay also.

Wow. I hate that. You say Chris Bosh's gay just because he left the Raptors. What a shame. It's like the Cavs fans burning LBJ's jersey. SHAME ON YOU.