Barnes To Toronto?

Doc

It's not for sure he's going to the Raptors but that would be good for us because we need a SF. Turkoglu left and I'm sure Barnes will do good with Toronto. Anyways, that'd be good for the Raps to get him but first of all.. if there is someone better.. try to get him

gotta disagree

i really dont want any more players on this team to help keep us mediocre at best, id rather keep that spot open for a young player to come in and get playing time and develop

barnes will just insure that we end 10th in the east instead of 12th and will not be worth it

so who do you want us to bring to the team? we don't have many options left and Barnes is one of the best option right now. We can't just leave the SF spot open.

We have Demar who is going to need to get a solid 32 minutes on the wing, Sonny is going to earn 20-25 minutes and Linas will probably get around that as well, there isn't many minutes for Barnes here, and considering that there are contenders interested in him, we are probably going to have to be giving him an enticing deal to come here.

Him being here just means less minutes for the young guys like Sonny.

So what happens to Beli. I like Barnes and the signing could work but that question needs to be addressed.

It wouldn't surprise me to see him traded before the season starts. With Barnes most likely coming to Toronto there really is no room for him on the roster as the majority of the wing minutes will be given to DeRozan, Weems, Barnes and Kleiza. All three of those guys will be getting at least 20 minutes a game with DeRozan probably getting around 30 minutes. That leaves little to no time for Belinelli outside of garbage time (which there will probably be a lot of). His contract is up at the end of the year so I could see him being a throw in in a potential Calderon trade or something like that. The talent is there and I'm sure a team would be willing to take a chance on him at such a low cost on a one year try out of sorts.

It really sucks though because when Beli is on, I absolutely love him as a player. The problem is that he is on about once every 10 games.

And it sounds like this is basically a done deal and will be announced tomorrow morning as official. It will be a 2 year, $9M deal according to Woj. After what happened with that Bobcats trade, I'll wait until it is actually announced as official before getting my hopes up though.

I'm not in love with the signing as I would've rathered to see the Raptors run with a perimeter rotation of DeRozan, Weems, Kleiza and Belinelli simply because that lineup is younger and cheaper, but I don't hate it either. Getting a physical vet like Barnes could be a good influence for DeRozan and Weems. If he plays within himself I like him as a player, but when he starts to think he is better than he is, I hate watching him chuck.

We would have to be delusional to think that Colangelo would simply stand pat with the lineup that he currently has. As much as I hate the fact that he is going to continue to make tweaks to the roster that will probably make the Raptors a better team, you have to respect the competitive nature that he has. The guy really does hate to lose.

This move is going to spark some trades though. By my count, the Raptors have about 16 or 17 players on their roster right now.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

Yeah we have DeRozan, Bellineli and Weems but these are SG. And we need at least one SF. Barnes will be our SF and then someone will play off the bench (DeRozan, Bellineli or Weems). Our team looks pretty young. Too bad Barnes coming because he's not that young compared to the team. I'm sure he will still help and produce.

STEIN_LINE_HQ

ESPN.com sources: Raps' signing of Barnes to be finalized TUES as sign-and-trade w/ORL, since bulk of TOR midlevel exception went to Kleiza

I'm confused about how a sign-and-trade will work considering that Orlando doesn't own the rights to Barnes as he only signed a one year deal with the Magic last year (at least I don't think they have his rights) and also the fact that I was under the impression that in order to do a sign-and-trade the contract has to be at least 3 seasons long.

One possible scenario is that the Kleiza signing was converted into a sign-and-trade for a future 2nd or something and then the Raptors are using a portion of their MLE on Barnes. I'm not sure if this works either because I think once you sign an offer sheet nothing else can be added (so no S&T or things like that). I could be wrong on that though, as if both parties agree I think it can be changed.

I'm not even going to speculate on anything more here though, because I honestly don't even know how this is going to play out. This is looking like it is going to be a pretty creative sign-and-trade.

Should be interesting to come home from work tomorrow morning and see what kind of creative deal happened because I honestly have no idea how this is going to work out.

Matt_Barnes22

Nxt season I will b playing for the Toronto Raptors. I wanted to thank the fans in orl you guys were amazing the way u guys excepted

Official

Not exactly official just because he posted it on his Twitter (I'm not sure if there was something else).

Remember the Charlotte trade? Both Chandler and Evans posted on their Twitter accounts that they would be playing for Toronto and Charlotte respectively, but that never happened.

By the sounds of it though, this is basically a done deal and now Colangelo and Smith are seemingly just working out the details of the transaction.

Not exactly official just because he posted it on his Twitter (I'm not sure if there was something else).

Remember the Charlotte trade? Both Chandler and Evans posted on their Twitter accounts that they would be playing for Toronto and Charlotte respectively, but that never happened.

By the sounds of it though, this is basically a done deal and now Colangelo and Smith are seemingly just working out the details of the transaction.

RUINING MY FUN

RUINING MY FUN

It is what I do best with my long, rambling posts and "pessimistic" outlook towards everything. ;)

Does this make it up to you though?

Matt Barnes is near agreement on a two-year, $9 million deal with Toronto, with a player option for year two, a league source tells Y

I like the fact that he has a player option for the 2nd year (I'd rather it be a team option but whatever). I can see him opting out and going to a contender after this season. He will make his money this year with the uncertainty around the CBA and then opt out and sign a new contract with a contender next year. Makes sense for him.

Minimum three-year contract in sign-and-trade situations...so if Orlando works up a S&T, you can expect Barnes' contract to be three years or longer.

Also, since Barnes only played 1 year for the Magic and they don't have his full Bird Rights, they can only sign-and-trade him for 120% of his previous contract which was $1.6M so that would be $1.92M, which I mentioned above (along with the minimum 3 year deal) as a potential snag in this signing.

And, because of these, the signing has hit a major snag.

Matt Barnes announced on Monday night that he is going to sign with the Raptors.

However, ESPN.com's Marc Stein reports that Orlando's limited sign-and-trade options may scuttle the deal, according to sources.

Barnes is expecting to sign a two-year, $10 million deal.

The Raptors and Magic will resume discussions on a sign-and-trade Tuesday. However, because of the financial standing of both clubs, it's possible that Barnes may have to agree to new terms.

Toronto recently spent the bulk of its $5.8 million mid-level exception to sign Linas Kleiza. They don't have the available funds to sign Barnes outright to a deal that starts in the neighborhood of $4 million.

The Magic are prevented by salary-cap rules from starting a sign-and-trade deal for Barnes at higher than $2 million, because Orlando doesn't have Barnes' full Bird rights after employing him for only one season.

http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/68246/20100720/barnes_to_raptors_hits_major_snag/#ixzz0uEYNZQYr

I'm honestly not too worried about this though. I'd be completely fine with no deal happening and the Raptors just running with a perimeter rotation of Kleiza/Weems/DeRozan/Barbosa/Belinelli.

The Raptors and Magic are going to continue discussions about how they can get a sign-and-trade done today though. I really don't care one way or another if a deal happens though.