Theo Ratliff signs with the Lakers

• Owner
The Los Angeles Lakers are shoring up the potential loss of forward Josh Powell to the Atlanta Hawks by agreeing to terms with veteran big man Theo Ratliff on a one-year deal for the veterans' minimum of $1.35 million, according to a league source.

Ratliff, 37, started last season with the San Antonio Spurs, but was traded to the Charlotte Bobcats at the trade deadline for a future second-round pick. He gave the young Bobcats a boost down the stretch as Charlotte made the playoffs, averaging 5.1 points and 4.2 rebounds in 22 minutes a game. He has been one of the league's best defensive players of his era, leading the NBA in blocked shots per game three times.

The 15-year veteran has played for eight NBA teams in his career, which began as a first-round pick for the Pistons in 1995. Ratliff was a key part of the 76ers' team that went on to make the Finals in 2001, making his lone All-Star team that season, but was traded days after that appearance to Atlanta in a package for Dikembe Mutombo. Ratliff was also part of another major trade, going from Boston to Minnesota in 2007 as part of the Kevin Garnett trade.

http://www.nba.com/news/features/aldridge.2010.freeagency/?ls=iref:nbahpt1#Ratliff?ls=iref:nbahpt2

• Owner

Good signing. He's better than Powell on the defensive end, is an actual center, and plays his role well.

Barnes is next. Blake, Ratliff, Barnes...just adding defense to every hole we had last season.

Wow, can't believe he's still in the league. He's one of the first names I remember hearing when I first started watching basketball back in about 95/96ish.

Our shotblocking presence Bynum averaged 1.5 bpg last year.

Theo Ratliff averaged 1.5 bpg last year.

We finally have another shot blocker on the roster.

Barnes/Ratliff were great pickups by Mitch at a cheap price. Combine that with Steve Blake and our draft picks, I love our offseason. This likely means the end of DJ though, I'll miss him.