Evan Turner after Summer League

• Owner

Granted it was only the Summer League, what are your thoughts on Evan Turner today? Do you feel he's going to be an all-star, superstar, solid franchise player, bust, etc? How has the SL changed your opinion on him compared to your initial predictions before, during and right after the NBA Draft? Was he the right selection for Philly?

I said this before the draft and I'll say it again, I don't think he'll end up being anything special. I would've taken Favors in a heartbeat over him. He'll be a solid player to have on your team and won't be a bust. However, he won't be on the level of Wall or Favors.

Evan Turner didn't surprise me a bit in Summer League. Yeah it's just summer league but SL is an easy level for players like Turner, Wall, Cousins etc. so I was expecting him to do much better. It would be better for the Sixers and himself if he plays better in the NBA season

Terrible in the SL. Which is bad news for the Sixers. The SL is easier for the stars in the draft so he should have done better. It's not easier in the NBA so he'd better turn his game around.

I think Willie Green, Greg Buckner, Marreese Speights, and Rodney Carney have been summer league "MVPs" before (I may be confusing one or two of these guys with somebody else, but similar caliber players, I don't feel like looking it up right now), and guys like Chauncy Billups have been so bad in summer league that they were told they'd "never make it". I don't know enough about what goes on down there, but just based on that, I struggle to put much stock into it.

I know the Summer League is a lot easier to shine but I really do think he will still impress a few people, especially since a lot of people are already calling him overrated or someone who won't live to expectations.

I wouldn't put much stock into what he did in SL. It is likely the first time in months that he's played in serious full-court games, and he has an entire new cast of teammates and a new system to play in. Is it concerning that he didn't play better against much inferior competition to what he'll face in the NBA? Sure, but I wouldn't be too worried.

He has a great feel for the game with polished skills as well. That combination will always get you places in the league. My only concern is he doesn't have great athleticism for an elite SG, and that is a big reason why guys like Cousins and Wall are bound to dominate SL. But once Turner gets comfortable and learns the system as well as his teammates, he should be a very good player in the league. Maybe not a superstar, but very few players become superstars in the NBA. You can only hope he works hard and makes what he can of his talents.

Only reason why I'm not worried because he took responsibility for his mistakes, and will work hard to correct them.

Besides..guys like Derrick Rose stunk it up in the summer league, and he's turned out fine. While dudes like Herbert Hill and Steven Smith tore up the summer league, and those guys aren't even in the league anymore.

Only reason why I'm not worried because he took responsibility for his mistakes, and will work hard to correct them.

Besides..guys like Derrick Rose stunk it up in the summer league, and he's turned out fine. While dudes like Herbert Hill and Steven Smith tore up the summer league, and isn't even in the league anymore.

Yep. You can definitely find guys who have looked god-like in summer league but sucked in NBA while there are also guys who have sucked in summer league but still went on to become great in the league. Summer league is just for getting into shape.

Never put too much emphasis on the Summer League. If JaVale McGee was one of, if not the most dominant center in that league, you know it doesn't apply much to someone's ability. It's for young players to adjust to the NBA game. I'm sure Turner was just experimenting and learning about what will (and won't) work in an NBA level game.

Just like my Cousins thread... I'm with Flash in this one... I think the Sixers picked the wrong guy... it should have been Derrick Favors. Like I said before the draft, picking 3rd is a blessing in disguise for the Nets because they had no choice but to select Favors... had they had the 2nd pick, they would have selected Turner too. So, I do think the 2nd pick was kinda a curse lol

I do think Turner is gonna be good eventually but it might take until his 4th year before he figures it out. But no matter how good Turner will be, it's not gonna be "Favors good".

Wall is gonna be great. He, Derrick Rose and Russell Westbrook is gonna form a triangle rivalry...

Turner will take time to figure out. He will be an all star but not superstar.

Favors will be a sensation right off the bat... he will be an elite PF superstar.

Cousins = Nene = big man with to-die-for skills but soft in the head... inconsistent aggressiveness.

Edited by Snake

Just like my Cousins thread... I'm with Flash in this one... I think the Sixers picked the wrong guy... it should have been Derrick Favors. Like I said before the draft, picking 3rd is a blessing in disguise for the Nets because they had no choice but to select Favors... had they had the 2nd pick, they would have selected Turner too. So, I do think the 2nd pick was kinda a curse lol

I do think Turner is gonna be good eventually but it might take until his 4th year before he figures it out. But no matter how good Turner will be, it's not gonna be "Favors good".

Wall is gonna be great. He, Derrick Rose and Russell Westbrook is gonna form a triangle rivalry...

Turner will take time to figure out. He will be an all star but not superstar.

Favors will be a sensation right off the bat... he will be an elite PF superstar.

Cousins = Nene = big man with to-die-for skills but soft in the head... inconsistent aggressiveness.

Wall has a great chance at being great, he just needs to work on not turning the ball over. He almost averaged a triple double in the summer league, with turnovers being part of the glorified statistic. He was horrible for turning the ball over in college too. In the NBA, he cannot afford to do that.

I can't tell you nothing about Turner, I didn't watch him much. He sounds like a flop so far, we'll hear his name in a few years in the Adam Morrison/JJ Reddick category. JJ Reddick being good. I like seeing guys that do more than a year of college succeed, I hope for the best for Evan Turner.

Did you not watch much of the Summer League? Favors struggled bad, he even struggled in college. Favors had one good Summer League game. He will not be a sensation right off the bat, no way. He is way to raw, he just doesn't have the skill set needed to be known as a sensation his rookie year. Not to mention he will be playing beside of Brook Lopez. We all know who will be number one option inside. Favors could get some major putbacks, thanks to his athleticism, but I highly doubt that he will even be in mention for ROY.

Cousins, is really skilled and polished. I'm thinking, a less athletic and skilled Shaq. The SEC commentators, were constantly comparing the two. You just don't know what you're talking about, if you're saying DeMarcus Cousins has inconsistent aggressiveness. Teams were worried about drafting because of his nature, its extremely aggressive. Teams are constantly trying to fire him up. Look at the Summer League game against Minnesota, when they had that on scrub out trying to fire him up. Cousins told him he was going to beat him on the court, and he hit the game winning shot. Lack of aggressiveness, is clearly not his case. I could tell you some tales about him at the University of Kentucky. I watched him play thirty plus games, I know what I'm talking about.

Did you not watch much of the Summer League? Favors struggled bad, he even struggled in college. Favors had one good Summer League game. He will not be a sensation right off the bat, no way. He is way to raw, he just doesn't have the skill set needed to be known as a sensation his rookie year. Not to mention he will be playing beside of Brook Lopez. We all know who will be number one option inside. Favors could get some major putbacks, thanks to his athleticism, but I highly doubt that he will even be in mention for ROY.

Everyone knew coming in that it would take a year or 2 to see Favors reach his potential. That however is what puts him over Turner in my opinion. Turner, in my opinion, has already reached his ceiling in terms of how much better he can become. Whereas Favors has a while to go and should end up being better than Turner by year 2.

Everyone knew coming in that it would take a year or 2 to see Favors reach his potential. That however is what puts him over Turner in my opinion. Turner, in my opinion, has already reached his ceiling in terms of how much better he can become. Whereas Favors has a while to go and should end up being better than Turner by year 2.

I disagree. Is Turner anywhere near as polished as Kobe? No, therefor he hasn't come anywhere close to reaching his ceiling. Turner still has a lot of room to develop his game. More importantly, he has a LOT to learn about how to adapt his skills to the NBA game to maximize his potential. That's what will ultimately determine if he's a bust or not.

You can't judge a players potential, skill or future (career wise) over SL.

I can understand changing your perspective on what you see from SL in terms of the players overall ability but that in itself is a little irrational but still holds some validity. To sum it up .. i wouldn't go off what you see in the SL.

I like you now though Snake, thanks for the kind words about Favors.. I think Turner will be a superstar however .. he will make a impact in his first season and prove to people why he should have gone 1st. (not won over by wall yet)

Says the man who thinks John Wall is going to suck because the Nets didn't get the chance to draft him. :rolleyes:

That's exactly why he said that. Because John Wall led the SL in points and assists (and 2nd in steals). SL means this: if you suck at it, you suck at basketball. If you do well, that's great, but you still have to prove your skills in the NBA.

That's exactly why he said that. Because John Wall led the SL in points and assists (and 2nd in steals). SL means this: if you suck at it, you suck at basketball. If you do well, that's great, but you still have to prove your skills in the NBA.

Clearly Evan Turner sucks at basketball. Why couldn't we warn Ed Stefanski in time?!?!

I remember reading a magazine about T-Mac dunking over a center in NBA summer league in his rookie season and then an NBA scout said something like "sometimes you can judge a player's future by one move".

I don't necessarily agree or disagree with statements that you can't judge someone based on one game... but that's if you use stats. A player can put 5 pts one night because he had a bad game, when he's really a 20ppg player. I don't use stats to observe a player, that's why I feel like I'm never under "obligation" to follow the so-called rule. I never even look at stats... I never knew what Melo and Billups' ppg until after the season was over... when I saw someone mention it in a forum. I want to see how the player makes it look easy against the degree of difficulty... how easy he drives by his defenders... how easy he gets his shots off... how easy he handles the ball... and how good is his finishing around the rim... these are some of the things that I look for.

Sometimes when you go to a park, you see bunch of players and sometimes there's 1-2 that stand out among the 30-40 people who can play. You don't know how many points they score but you just know they're "special" because they stand out among the 30-40 people who can also play, and they have that "flair" about their game.

I do think Turner is gonna be good but I really think it will take him 4-5 seasons.

If you allow me to go off topic, Favors on the other hand is just an impressive athlete with explosive hops and athleticism around the rim... he has unteachable size... he is wide with tremendous athleticism and hops and that allows him to operate Dwight Howard like in the paint. I do think he's more fundamental offensively than Dwight... that's why I think he's a cross-breed of Amare and Dwight's game. He's going to electrify the league and potentially make the Nets very dangerous.