Players you were wrong about

Rajon Rondo. I never expected him to become a good player as he is right now. When I saw he wasn't even able to knock down a three point shot, I was like: WOW this guy sucks! but then years passed and now, he's, in my opinion, one of the best PG in the league right now. Another guys is Joakim Noah. He joined the league a couple of years ago and the first year I thought he wouldn't because such a good center. But right now, he's impressing me. He could actually run fast for a big man. He's a great rebounder and a good defender.

Rondo and Noah are the 2 players I'm thinking of right now

• Like 1

Stephen Curry. I thought he'd be a solid role player in the NBA, but had no idea he was going to be THIS good. He's a much better passer than I realized, and is much more than just a catch and shoot 3pt gunner. He's also very crafty and has tremendous bball IQ. Definitely going to be a stud in the league for a long time.

Players I can think of off the top:

Jose Calderon: After that awesome year he had for us off the bench I thought he would be rock solid moving forward, now I'm not even sure he is worth the MLE, I used to like him but now I hate him and long for TJ Ford of 07 to come back :(

Rajon Rondo: Jury is still out on whether or not this kid can be a superstar, but I never thought he would reach the level that he already has.

Brandon Jennings: Still don't think he is a particularly special talent, but I thought his attitude after the draft was terrible and I thought he would be riding the pine, turns out he helped turned the Bucks into a playoff team 1 game away from a 2nd round appearance.

Jerryd Bayless: I thought the Blazers owned this draft, a scoring PG would have complimented Roy perfectly. It has been 2 years and Jerryd still looks terribly raw.

Andrew Bynum: God I used to hate on this kid all the time, especially once he got that undeserved contract. But now he is one of the better C's in the league when he is healthy.

I never thought Rondo would be this good, but the one I was mostly wrong was with Adam Morrison, I thought he could make a name for himself in the NBA. I also thought Beasley would kill it this past season and had a lot of faith in Telfair.

I was right about Brandon Jennings, Kevin Durant and Brandon Roy.

• Owner

Rajon Rondo, Adam Morrison, and Emeka Okafor are the three that come to mind.

I thought Emeka was going to be far, far better than Dwight Howard...put him #1 in my mock drafts, everything. He won ROY, but fell off the Earth after that (in terms of being a top center, at least).

Rondo...would've never guessed. Not sure if anyone knew.

Morrison, I wasn't too sure...but then again, injuries have put him down. He could average 15 a game if he wasn't always hurt, so I don't know if I can really add him to my list.

There are others, for sure...but for guys like Morrison and Oden, it's still in the air.

I knew Stephen Curry was gonna be huge. I don't know but I had a feeling he would be so good before he even got drafted. ;)

I thought Oden was going to be real good but turns out he hasn't proven that yet.

Steph. I liked the kid but just didn't see him doing much.

I never thought Durant was going to be very special. I love Texas but I doubted him a lot.

I thought Acie Law was a future star. Whoops. Haha same with A.J. Abrams... I wish he could at least play in the league a little to show what he's got.

Sean Williams. I thought he was gonna break out and have a 20-10 season. :wacko:

I thought Rashad McCants was going to be something special. Ditto for James White.

I also thought Austin Daye was going to star in the Pistons (although the jury is still out on him)

I don't think I have missed out on any stars with the exception of Rondo, although I believed that he would be a decent 5th man in a team.

I am wrong about:

- Stephen Curry - I thought he was an excellent shooter, can create shots but have difficulties here and there, and I knew he was an excellent passer and had great court vision. But if you check the second half of this past season, the stats of 30+pts, 10+ assists and 5+ rebounds in the same game, many times, is amazing... I knew he was going to be good, but not "30pts, 10assists in the same game" good. He can create his shots at will. Great pick by Warriors.

- Danny Granger - I thought he'd be just another role player

- Greg Oden - I thought he was gonna be amazing and dominant... certainly didn't take potential injuries into account but in games he played he showed little reason why Portland could be this so amazing they could win a championship with him and Roy... he has fallen far from that...

- OJ Mayo - not because I thought he'd be a bust, but because I thought he'd be a Kobe Bryant type of scorer... that 26-28 ppg guy... but what I'm most wrong about him is his mentality... I thought he's a selfish type mentality but he is a sharer of the ball if you take out his rookie season... After his rookie campaign ended, he sought Chauncey Billups and asked for his guidance... Billups taught him to be a leader... that to be a leader, he has to learn to pass and involve his teammates... he has become a very unselfish player that only cares about winning... totally unexpected...

- Kevin Love - I thought he'd be a stiff, but first of all, this guy can REALLY rebound... I think that strength of rebounding to go with his special passing skill gave him enough amount of confidence to succeed in this L... when he could have struggled scoring... but the confidence is necessary for his offense to grow... I'd trade Nene straight up for this guy.

- Al Horford - I thought he's an automatic 20 and 10 immediately... he's an All Star now which is a step in the right direction but he's a bit far from 20 and 10

- Yi Jianlian - I thought he'd be great :(

I am right about these players:

- Derrick Rose - because I had him over Beasley by a mile when people were still arguing who should be the 1st pick

- Beasley - not exactly bust but I said he would have a problem if he didn't change his attitude... for the same reason as above when people thought he should be the 1st pick over Rose

- Westbrook - mock drafts everywhere had this guy drafted at 6th at best... some even had him at 12th... when I saw he play, he was explosive and just had a flair in getting through defense... I thought he was like Gilbert Arenas... and I put him at 4th in my mock draft saying that KD didn't need a true PG because KD could already make plays for himself at will... (people had Jerryd Bayless *smh* or DJ Augustin for thinking they're more PG than Westbrook)

- DJ Augustin - I knew he was too small and he possesses no one thing that is special that could cover his height weakness... I still remember a thread I created on old OTR saying DJ wouldn't be anything special in NBA... his speed isn't anything extraordinary (like Ty Lawson)... he is average athletically, he doesn't have long arms, wingspan is average... he could shoot as long as it's not "shooting off dribble being guarded by athletic defenders"...

- Brandon Rush - I knew he'd be just a role player... people were saying he'd be a star... I'd love to have him on Nuggets though...

- Gallinari - after his first year people wrote him as bust but I knew he can play, besides just shooting, he can pass, he can dribble, he can make plays, he can defend, at his prime I think he can be a more complete player than Nowitzki, who's just a scorer and little else... but one thing I'm still unsure of Gallo aside of his potential is his work ethic... I don't know if he's a gym rat or just casual or lazy... if he's a gym rat he could be as good as Nowitzki and even more complete like I projected... he's a heck of a competitor though and that is a good one to start... Knick fans will be the first to say this

- Jordan Hill - bust

- Tyreke Evans - I knew he'd be a mini LeBron James... the strength and speed applied to dribbling and finishing

Edited by Snake
  • Like 1

JaVale McGee. While he is definitely improving, I thought he would be an immediate impact starting center in the league, but he has shown that he has as much basketball IQ as a rock despite his athleticism and shot blocking ability.

Jerryd Bayless. After seeing him crush the Wizards in the Summer League, I thought this kid would be getting a starting role on his team and be a legit scoring point guard who could rank among the best. Apparently he is just a raw talent player who has been given very few opportunities to prove his worth.

Kevin Durant... I don't think anyone expected him to be this great this quickly.

Joe Alexander i though this kid would be putting up 15ppg/6rpg/3apg but man i was dead wrong. lol, i believe the reason behind him not playing(although im not sure) that he is as dumb as a door knob

This. I even had him for ROY :blink:

Funny a lot of people say Stephen Curry, he's one of the first people I thought of. I thought he would be ok but I thought he would average below 40% from the field.

Players who I thought would be better than they are:

Ike Diogu

Sean May

Rodney Carney

Marco Belinelli (still can be good)

Javaris Crittenton

Acie Law

Derrick Byars

DJ Strawberry

I've been right about a lot of players too, but I don't want to list them. But I will say I knew Rondo would be a good player, not as good as he is now, but I figured a 10/5/6 guy.