NBA Needs To Ask Itself If It Wants To Be In Toronto

So Mike Greenberg and Mike Golic were on “Mike and Mike in the Morning” on ESPN radio earlier today and they had some interesting (although uninformed) comments about the city of Toronto and whether or not this is still a viable market for the NBA.

While both hosts admitted that they love the city overall - and enjoy visiting - they said they don’t believe that any star wants to come here and that Americans don’t want to live in Canada. I’m paraphrasing, but those are the basic nuts and bolts of their statements.

If, as Mike and Mike suggest, the NBA needs to ask itself if it wants to be in Toronto … perhaps the Raptors attendance figures should be researched. Take a look at where this team is in those rankings year after year. Not only are the Raps in the upper HALF almost every year, they’ve frequently been in the top 10 in attendance rankings since they came into the league 15 years ago. And while many local media outlets (in Toronto and Canada) choose to ignore this fact, the Raptors local television rankings are among the best in the entire league. I saw a report last year that had Toronto’s TV ratings behind only the Lakers and Cavaliers local numbers.

http://blog.rogersbroadcasting.com/ericsmith/2010/07/29/more-misinformation/

:rolleyes:

I'm not going to post anything of detail because Eric Smith said everything that I would've said in response to this (there is more in the link) better than I could've said it.

I just love how the NBA needs to consider whether Toronto is a viable market but places like Minnesota, Memphis, Cleveland (before LeBron), etc.. are completely viable.

I have no idea who "Mike and Mike" are so I don't know if they are people that shouldn't be taken seriously like some reporters/analysts or if they are clowns, so yeah, haha.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

I don't know why some people are so down on the idea of playing in Canada. I would love to play in Canada if I were an NBA player. There's no reason right now to get rid of the Raptors, that's silly. Like the article said, they do pretty damn good in ticket sales even though the team itself isn't that good right now.

And Mike and Mike shouldn't be taken seriously. I've watched them a few times, they don't seem like basketball guys to me.

I don't know why some people are so down on the idea of playing in Canada. I would love to play in Canada if I were an NBA player. There's no reason right now to get rid of the Raptors, that's silly. Like the article said, they do pretty damn good in ticket sales even though the team itself isn't that good right now.

And Mike and Mike shouldn't be taken seriously. I've watched them a few times, they don't seem like basketball guys to me.

Agreed, I don't see why players keep refusing to play over there. If you're a superstar and you're playing for the Raptors, you wouldn't have the support of the city or the state but the entire country.

As for the topic itself, I don't see why the league shouldn't be in Toronto. They are always in the top half of attendance every year so its not like anyone is losing money by it being there. If anything the league should push for another team (Montreal?).

I just love how the NBA needs to consider whether Toronto is a viable market but places like Minnesota, Memphis, Cleveland (before LeBron), etc.. are completely viable.

Are you kidding me? The Cavs have been a storied franchise. In the 90's with Mark Price, Larry Nance, Brad Daugherty. They had 56 wins one year and made the playoffs like 5-6 times during that period in the late 80's, mid-early 90's. Cleveland is a much better pro-sport city than Memphis or Toronto. And besides the KG era, the Timberwolves aren't much better. The Cavs are nowhere in the league you are putting them in. More storied/tenured franchise

Toronto is one of the most financially stable franchises in the NBA owned by one of the richest ownership groups, despite mediocrity being the team's high point our team is still always around top 10 in attendance among the league. There is no question that Toronto should have an NBA frnachise.

I think the myth of NBA players not wanting to come to Toronto has more to do with the franchise than it does with the climate (lol at me even having to say climate), if we were a team winning 50+ consistently with an ownership group that was consistently spending into the lux tax, I am sure players would come here.

It all comes down to winning, not location, players will come here if we can provide both money and winning, while someone might not take less money to play here like Miami or LA, there are only a few places that have that sort of bonus.

Can Toronto entice a top 15 player to leave their team in FA? Probably not, but how many teams realistically can?

Are you kidding me? The Cavs have been a storied franchise. In the 90's with Mark Price, Larry Nance, Brad Daugherty. They had 56 wins one year and made the playoffs like 5-6 times during that period in the late 80's, mid-early 90's. Cleveland is a much better pro-sport city than Memphis or Toronto. And besides the KG era, the Timberwolves aren't much better. The Cavs are nowhere in the league you are putting them in. More storied/tenured franchise

It doesn't matter if they are a storied franchise, Cleveland is one of the least attractive cities to play for in the NBA. LeBron changed things a bit because he is an all-time player, but even in LeBron's tenure they brought in very, very little talent via free agency (solid role players, but not great talent).

Anyway, as BFT said, there are a few franchises who are doing poorly and are in less lucrative destinations than the Raptors are. Therefor, it really shouldn't be much of a discussion yet. As long as they are bringing in the revenue, they will stay put.