Caron Butler Vs. Shawn Marion: Who Should Start? Who Should Finish?

It seems like the Mavs have decided to start Roddy Beaubois at the 2 (once he returns from injury) so one of these two will be coming off of the bench for the Mavs. Who do you think that should be?

They both seem to make sense in either scenario. You may want to start Marion due to him being the stronger defender and bring Butler off of the bench due to him needing the ball in his hands more offensively (which may not happen with Kidd, Beaubois and Dirk all on the court).

On the other hand, you may want to bring Marion off of the bench because of his energetic playing style and start Butler because of him being the Mavs second most talented offensive player.

What do you think should happen? Is rotating them based on matchups a possibility?

Also, who do you think should be the small forward that finishes up the game?

If I were the coach, I would definitely start Kidd, Butler, Marion, Dirk, and Haywood, without a doubt in my mind and bring Beaubois off the bench. I understand the kid has some good potential but in my eyes, he would be the perfect 6th man to bring energy off the bench along with Terry.

If I were the coach, I would definitely start Kidd, Butler, Marion, Dirk, and Haywood, without a doubt in my mind and bring Beaubois off the bench. I understand the kid has some good potential but in my eyes, he would be the perfect 6th man to bring energy off the bench along with Terry.

This, he is perfect off the bench, outside of scoring he is average in other areas. With Kidd getting old he should get much more minutes at the 1.

Marion is more versatile, making him more useful as a bench player. Caron has already proven that he thrives as a third option from his Washington days.

Bringing Roddy off the bench isn't a good idea, since he would essentially have the same role as Terry. Both are small guards and both pack a scoring punch. Instead, let Terry be the 6th man at the guard positions and Marion be the 7th man at the forward positions, and then there's Tyson backing up Haywood. It makes a better rotation than starting both Caron and Marion, where your best two players off the bench are both guards.

Edit: As for who should finish, a Kidd - Butler - Marion - Dirk - Haywood sounds logical to me. Your using all your veterans and most trustworthy players.

Thing is, we don't know exactly how good Roddy will turn out to be. If he breaks out and averages over 20, it may be a good idea to let the second option finish games, and let either Marion or Caron finish depending on matchups and what's needed (more scoring versus more size/defense).

Edited by Poe

As an avid Mavs fan I hope the Mavs trade Caron Butler. He never really fit in with the team last year, and he was terrible in the playoffs. I say blow the thing up besides Roddy B and Dirk...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Owner

Things changing? Beaubois just had surgery on that broken foot a week or two ago, said to miss 2-3 months, right?

Maybe Dallas will bring him off the bench for a while, starting Caron and Marion both.

If not, and he makes it back for the opener and starts...I would bring Marion off the bench. He's a defensive-minded player, but he's not good enough to earn a spot in the five over Caron...not anymore, at least...and I think Butler's play will complicate things if Terry is raking in the majority of his minutes in the same five.

Same as feelgood. I wouldn't put Beaubois in my starting line up. I would obviously start my 5 best players which are Kidd, Butler, Marion, Dirk and Haywood. It's always good to have a good player who could light up off the bench like Beaubois so why would you put him in the starting line up! and Butler is way better. Start Marion for 1 year or 2 before he gets old

• 3 weeks later...

Well, in the Mavs only Dirk classifies as first-tier star, but Kidd, Marion and Butler or even Terry would definitely be second/third tier-stars.

To keep with topic: Butler starts, both finish. Roddy B's energy can bring the Mavs some points at the first 2 quarters but as defence tightens that won't happen.