Rivers Wants To See Rondo Improve Mid-Range Jumper

NJNJ

Celtics point guard Rajon Rondo shot 50.8 percent from the field last season, but made just 33 percent of his shots from 16-23 feet.

Boston coach Doc Rivers wants to see Rondo improve in that department.

"We want him to shoot the right shots," Rivers said. "The 3-point shot, I could care less. I could care less if he takes another 3 the rest of his career as far as I'm concerned. But we have to get him to make the elbow jump shot."

Rivers' top priority is for Rondo to improve as a free throw shooter. The point guard is a 63 percent shooter from the line for his career.

"I think when he becomes a better free throw shooter it'll make him a better driver," Rivers said. "I think, unfortunately it happened in the Finals, when he started missing free throws he stopped driving. That's what all guys do."

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/68652/20100812/rivers_wants_to_see_rondo_improve_mid_range_jumper/#ixzz0wPGx1nTu

He's already an average shooter. That jumper improved so much from two years ago to this past season. He was actually somehwat of a threat to shoot this year. It can certainly get more consistent and get more range, but it's improving steadily.