Interesting Problem with my laptop

JYD

*I don't claim to know much about computers/laptops in general, but I feel I know more then the average joe.*

So, I bought a HP laptop around New Years with windows 7. The laptop has worked great (besides the CD burner going, which HP replaced for free under warranty) but there is one issue I've had since purchase that really pisses me off, and I have not figured out a fix to the problem.

Every now and then, I'd say about twice a week, when I try to watch a video (ex. youtube), play music from itunes, or stream any type of media, the laptop crashes. At first, I though tit was just a problem with firefox when I made an attempt to watch a youtube video and the entire laptop would freeze. But it's actually with itunes, etc. I don't get it. The only fix I have been able to figure out myself is a simple ctrl alt delete and then proceed to restart the laptop, and then once it comes back on, I'm able to watch videos, stream media, and listen to music once again.

Not sure if its an OS issue, or something? No clue at this point. Your guesses/help is as good as mine.

I have a similar problem with my HP laptop. Sometimes I am watching something on youtube or on Itunes and it makes a beeping noise and it freezes, the mouse moves but none of the icons work and I have to restart the laptop. No one seems to know what it is so I just live with it.

Running low on virtual memory is my guess

I highly doubt that. It's happened since day 1? The laptop runs extremely fast and efficiently otherwise. And like I said, this happens maybe twice a week if that. Sometimes it doesn't happen for two weeks. It's not a huge deal I was just wondering if anyone else experienced the same thing. Apparently SRV has soemthing similar to it as well.

Edited by JYD

It just happened like 3 times in a row today, and it hadn't happened in over a week. I have no idea what it is, it can happen when I leave my laptop alone, but it also happens when I am on youtube or downloading something to my computer. It occurs randomly so I have no idea what the problem is, it usually happens most when I lay down in bed and I put my laptop on my stomach. It does it three different ways too

1. My disc drive makes a noise and my computer freezes

2. My laptop makes a small little beep noise, which repeats once every 30 seconds or so, then it goes to a black screen that said no bootable device

3. It beeps then a blue screen flashes up and wrecks my laptop into another dimension, but if I turn it off then back on everything is back to normal.

Its pretty annoying, but I can't do much about it since I have no idea what the problem is.

It just happened like 3 times in a row today, and it hadn't happened in over a week. I have no idea what it is, it can happen when I leave my laptop alone, but it also happens when I am on youtube or downloading something to my computer. It occurs randomly so I have no idea what the problem is, it usually happens most when I lay down in bed and I put my laptop on my stomach. It does it three different ways too

2. My laptop makes a small little beep noise, which repeats once every 30 seconds or so, then it goes to a black screen that said no bootable device

3. It beeps then a blue screen flashes up and wrecks my laptop into another dimension, but if I turn it off then back on everything is back to normal.

Its pretty annoying, but I can't do much about it since I have no idea what the problem is.

It's kinda funny cause I habve a similar problem but I think my problem is my computer over heats and crashes or something like that. But yeah I have a similar issue.

Ok, nevermind, mine doesn't do anything like that. My laptop works fine it's just my internet crashes on occasion when i try to play a youtube video. haha. i don't get any noises or blue screens or anything

Ok, nevermind, mine doesn't do anything like that. My laptop works fine it's just my internet crashes on occasion when i try to play a youtube video. haha. i don't get any noises or blue screens or anything

Lol than LKR is right, it's just your computer can't handle all the processes you have going on atm so it just freezes, that happens to everyone. You can add more RAM and it should help, I think.

Lol than LKR is right, it's just your computer can't handle all the processes you have going on atm so it just freezes, that happens to everyone. You can add more RAM and it should help, I think.

No. It isn't that. How can it not be able to handle me having ONE web page up and playing a youtube video? Or having nothing else up and I'm playing a song on itunes? It's not that. I don't have twenty things up at once. The laptop has barely anything on it, it's virtually brand new. It's like an 800 dollar laptop, I'm pretty sure it doesn't need extra ram to watch a youtube video.

When you're not using it, like for example, when you go to bed, do you leave your laptop on? Or do you turn it off? Because I was looking in my owners manual a couple months back (I found it when looking for something else) and I read that you shouldn't have your laptop on for longer than 24 hours at a time, in which I would literally go weeks without turning it off. Now I turn it off every night and it seems to run a little faster since it's not overheating like it used to.

When you're not using it, like for example, when you go to bed, do you leave your laptop on? Or do you turn it off? Because I was looking in my owners manual a couple months back (I found it when looking for something else) and I read that you shouldn't have your laptop on for longer than 24 hours at a time, in which I would literally go weeks without turning it off. Now I turn it off every night and it seems to run a little faster since it's not overheating like it used to.

I turn it off every night since I got it 8 months ago.

That sonuds like a bad hard drive with the clicking.. and then "no bootable device" :\

do you have an external hard drive? just clone the drive. something I would do first though is lookup instructions on how to open up your laptop(should just be a few screws) to the hard drive, and make sure the cable is in there and its tight.