New York City Mosque

Are you in support or against this Mosque, or so called "community center"?

I think it's incredibly disrespectful, and was done in an act of attention. A few terrorists don't make up the beliefs of an entire religion, but when our country is attacked behind the beliefs of Islamic extremists, and people want to build a Mosque or "community center" in New York City, I find it appalling.

And, since it's "community center", get ready for a ton of Christians to fill it and protest. The Mosque won't be there long, that's for sure.

I read somewhere that the organizer of this said he would be more than willing to build the mosque somewhere else, and if there is another area he would take it. The Christians can protest all they want, but it's the Muslim's constitutional right to build this mosque wherever they please. If this were a huge Southern Baptist Church this would not be a big deal, but since the Muslim community has a couple of airheads, their entire religion is unfairly judged.

• Like 3

I read somewhere that the organizer of this said he would be more than willing to build the mosque somewhere else, and if there is another area he would take it. The Christians can protest all they want, but it's the Muslim's constitutional right to build this mosque wherever they please. If this were a huge Southern Baptist Church this would not be a big deal, but since the Muslim community has a couple of airheads, their entire religion is unfairly judged.

Whether it's fair or not, Islam has been associated with terrorism, and it's distasteful to build a Mosque two blocks from ground zero.

Would I be allowed to build a big statue of Hitler in Jeruselum?

There are 100 mosques in New York City, but will 100 Christian churches ever be permitted in places like Riyadh and Kabul?

I could care less if 50 mosques were built in my town or Boston, but putting it TWO BLOCKS away from ground zero is NOT needed.

Muslims are misunderstood and it's not fair that Islam is associated with terror, but the reality is that it is associated with it, and there's no need to open up wounds of 9/11 victims families.

Edited by EastCoastNiner

How am I acting like zero Muslims died during the attacks? :lol: .

Please, find where I said ANYTHING like that. :lol: .

Damn, you're really retarded. :lol: .

You were implying it you [expletive] face.

Should we change the US Constitution? Should we change our FIRST [expletive]ING AMENDMENT? It is the USA, this country was built on immigrants, and now you want to disgrace a whole religion because of a few retards? The only people that have anything against the mosque are ignorant pieces of [expletive] like you. I'm done arguing with you, [expletive]ing moron.

• Like 3

They have the right to do it. Do I agree with it? Absolutely not, but its their right so unless the constitution is amended I'll say its alright.

How is this being intolerant? There's thousands of Mosque's around the US but do you think any Christian or Catholic Churches would be allowed in the cities that ECN used as an example? I don't think so.

your Hitler argument makes no sense and makes you look retarded. Just sayin'

It's not on the scale of the Nazi's but those planes were flown by Muslims and killed nearly 3,000 Americans. I guess that's cool with you though.

Oh, and Guru maybe you wanna discuss this like a man instead of a child dropping f bombs everywhere because someone doesn't agree with your point of view.

Whether it's fair or not, Islam has been associated with terrorism, and it's distasteful to build a Mosque two blocks from ground zero.

Would I be allowed to build a big statue of Hitler in Jeruselum?

There are 100 mosques in New York City, but will 100 Christian churches ever be permitted in places like Riyadh and Kabul?

Your argument is already invalid... read up on this and get some new material...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law

Comparing the deaths of millions of people to 5000 is childish and so is your argument.

They have the right to do it. Do I agree with it? Absolutely not, but its their right so unless the constitution is amended I'll say its alright.

How is this being intolerant? There's thousands of Mosque's around the US but do you think any Christian or Catholic Churches would be allowed in the cities that ECN used as an example? I don't think so.

It's not on the scale of the Nazi's but those planes were flown by Muslims and killed nearly 3,000 Americans. I guess that's cool with you though.

Oh, and Guru maybe you wanna discuss this like a man instead of a child dropping f bombs everywhere because someone doesn't agree with your point of view.

It doesn't have to do with the amount of people Hitler killed, its the fact that the Holocaust is MUCH different than a few retards that shouldn't even be considered part of a religion did something stupid on their own. ECN's argument about the cities isn't valid either, because those countries are NOTHING like the US. I doubt there is even a need for a Christian church in those cities.

• Owner

A mosque is strictly a building of prayer, and for Muslims. There's a basketball court, swimming pool, a floor for culinary arts, etc. It's definitely a community center, no debate about it.

Two blocks away, you can't even see anything that has to do with ground zero.

If Muslims are going to be associated with terrorists by people in this country...Americans are all serial killers, because Ted Bundy, John Wayne Gacy, Jeffrey Dahmer and Donald Harvey are Americans.

There are two churches located within two blocks of ground zero. You don't want a community center for Muslims because they will have two floors to pray on? Out of respect to those who died? Well, take out the other churches, bulldoze the empty, useless buildings, and make "ground zero" even larger and more secluded.

• Like 1

Yes, because ECN calling me retarded is much less childish.

Anyways to add to this, the basic premise of it is to show people 1) that this is not a mosque, per se. It is just a place set aside for Muslims to perform their daily prayers whereas a mosque is a lot more than just that. 2) The center is going to be two block and around the corner from Ground Zero, which means you cannot even see it from the Ground Zero location "so you would need to go out of your way to have it offend you."

That analogy is terribly incorrect. Number one, a statue has the sole purpose of celebrating or glorifying. The religious center's primary purpose goes well beyond celebration of anything. And what makes you believe that this is an act of attention? $100M is not being spent to receive attention. Number two, there is a direct connection between Hitler and the Holocaust. If there is anyone out there that thinks there is a direct connection between a mosque or religious center and the 9/11 attacks, shame on them.

I think the easiest way for me to bring my point across is this. People need to stop labeling those terrorists as Muslims. It's not only that the mindsets of the terrorists do not agree with what Muslims believe. They oppose what Islam teaches. Why, then, should anyone even be bringing the 9/11 attacks into this?

I don't even want to bring religious freedom into this. Because in the end, the construction plan may end up winning simply because the opposition will reluctantly step down, accepting the 1st Amendment, while still showing hatred. Forget religious freedom for a moment and consider this: do you really that think Muslims (as in those who act according to what Islam teaches, since that needs to be specified) were and are celebrating what happened on September 11, 2001? Or were they expressing the same sorrow as those opposing this project?

A fraction of followers either misinterpreted what Islam is about or tried finding a way to use Islam to justify their unacceptable actions. Is that a legitimate reason to come in the paths of those who correctly interpret the belief system?

1. I said that a very minuscule number of Muslims support the terror attacks and were responsible to the attacks on our country, so, I am not saying every Muslim is bad, or even a lot of Muslims are terrorists.

2. As sad as it is, people need to understand that whether it's fair or not, many people have associated Islam with terror because a small fraction of Islamic extremists attacked our country, Once you understand that even though it's not right that MANY people associate Islam with terror, then you will see why there is strong opposition.

3. The Hitler reference I made was obviously not near the same situation, but Islam is viewed by many Americans as terrorism just like Hitler is viewed by Jews as a terrible person. Again, it's a very small portion of so called "Muslims" that claim they follow the Islamic religion even though they don't, yet they have caused Islam to be associated with terror, and that's just reality, fair or not.

4. They have every right to build the Mosque/community center, but that doesn't make it right. There are many things that are legal, but not ethically or morally acceptable. There's no need to put a Mosque/community center so close to where many lives were lost due to people that associated themselves with Islam. It's sad that people associate them with an entire religion, but that's just reality.

Get back at me when you tell me how many churches are allowed in Mecca.

Edited by EastCoastNiner

ECN just said it perfectly. They have the right to build it, therefore I'm ok with it going up. That doesn't make it the right thing to do in my mind. Call me intolerant or whatever else you want, that's JMO.

And, the big slap in the face is the plan to open it on September, 11.

So, to say that is not associated with 9/11 or anything like that is just wrong. Seriously...opening it on 9/11?

Again, it's not fair that Islam is associated with terror because of a small portion of idiots, but that's REALITY. Many of the victims families have been traumatized and go to therapy, and still live in fear of Islam. That's just reality.

• Owner

You keep saying it's not fair and that he needs to realize that, but you're supporting that opposition against Muslims...so it really doesn't matter. You said it's like the Jews hating Hitler. I don't see how. Hitler is an individual that did terrible, inhumane things to be hated by EVERYONE. As more than one person (as a group of people), Muslims did nothing.

As I said earlier, there are white serial killers. Tons of them. Does that mean white Americans should be viewed as serial killers? There are more white serial killers that kill in our country than there are Muslim terrorists that attacked our country.

How many churches are allowed in Mecca? Why isn't the United States a Christian country (officially)? We could force Christianity on everyone, you know, and then we can ask how many mosques are allowed here. We can also force blacks and mexicans out of the country, like a lot of people would like to do (yeah, it's true, a lot of Republicans in Kansas would love to do that).

USA...land of the free, but only kind of.

• Like 3

You keep saying it's not fair and that he needs to realize that, but you're supporting that opposition against Muslims...so it really doesn't matter. You said it's like the Jews hating Hitler. I don't see how. Hitler is an individual that did terrible, inhumane things to be hated by EVERYONE. As more than one person (as a group of people), Muslims did nothing.

As I said earlier, there are white serial killers. Tons of them. Does that mean white Americans should be viewed as serial killers? There are more white serial killers that kill in our country than there are Muslim terrorists that attacked our country.

How many churches are allowed in Mecca? Why isn't the United States a Christian country (officially)? We could force Christianity on everyone, you know, and then we can ask how many mosques are allowed here. We can also force blacks and mexicans out of the country, like a lot of people would like to do (yeah, it's true, a lot of Republicans in Kansas would love to do that).

USA...land of the free, but only kind of.

No, white Americans shouldn't be viewed as serial killers. There are many black, Hispanic, and Asian serial killers as well. However, only people that associated themselves with Islam attacked us on 9/11.

Again, they have every right to build the mosque, but it's a slap in the face to the families of the 9/11 victims.

They plan on opening in on the 10th anniversary of 9/11, so don't tell me that has nothing to do with 9/11. That is a slap in the face to the people of New York and our entire country when it should be a day of grievance.

Also, you guys do know that Mosques in and around NYC were found funding money to these terrorist organizations, right????? They had direct and indirect relations with the terrorists. Some of them were known Anti-Americans, working in a Mosque. The anger some people have towards Muslims doesn't come out of nowhere.

Edited by EastCoastNiner