Durant will outscore Kareem

• Owner

Unlikely.

If Durant averaged 30 PPG (2,460 points in 82 games) for the next 10 seasons, it would give him 24,600 points to add to his 6,000 already.

Then he'd need 8,400 more, which is about 3 1/2 more seasons of 30 PPG.

So...you're basically expecting Kevin Durant to average 30 PPG every season for the next 14 years, which means he'll be a 17-year player showing no decline.

Can he average 35 a game? Sure, probably...but that would be 2,870 points in an 82-game season, not really much more. But let's pretend he did. It would take over 11 seasons of 35 PPG to come up with 32,400 points (what he needs to surpass Kareem).

I'll change my "unlikely" to "not a chance."

• Like 4

Unlikely.

If Durant averaged 30 PPG (2,460 points in 82 games) for the next 10 seasons, it would give him 24,600 points to add to his 6,000 already.

So...you're basically expecting Kevin Durant to average 30 PPG every season for the next 14 years, which means he'll be a 17-year player showing no decline.

Can he average 35 a game? Sure, probably...but that would be 2,870 points in an 82-game season, not really much more. But let's pretend he did. It would take over 11 seasons of 35 PPG to come up with 32,400 points (what he needs to surpass Kareem).

lol you beat me to it...

I just wanna add... if there's anyone who can do it, it's him. He's off to a good start by being the youngest to average 30 ppg.

• Owner

Bryant has 25,790 points.

He needs 12,598 to surpass Kareem. That's a little over six more seasons of 24 PPG, ending that six or seventh season at age...37 or 38.

That's one of the greatest scorers of all-time.

Durant is definitely climbing one hell of a mountain.

^(To Real) Although Kobe entered at a younger age than Durant, Kobe only averaged 7.6 ppg and 15.4 ppg (boy I was a big fan, still remember his scoring avg) in the first two seasons... and didn't average 30 until Shaq's gone... Durant has a pretty good chance.

And if you can be the youngest to average 30 ppg in history, you're on your way to become one of the best scorers in history too.

Edited by Snake

• Owner

^(To Real) Although Kobe entered at a younger age than Durant, Kobe only averaged 7.6 ppg and 15.4 ppg (boy I was a big fan, still remember his scoring avg) in the first two seasons... and didn't average 30 until Shaq's gone... Durant has a pretty good chance.

And if you can be the youngest to average 30 ppg in history, you're on your way to become one of the best scorers in history too.

You forgot what you and I were saying in our first posts. The likelihood of this happening...really? It's slim to none, and that's being generous.

I will have to keep this topic in mind, and come back to it 15 years later and see where Durant is at, just for kicks.

Yes, OTR will be up.

Not going to happen seeing as he will is going to lose A LOT of athleticism later on in his career. He is great and I see him getting up there with the all-time greatest scorers and everything but I don't see him overtaking Kareem.

Consistency will make Durant beat Kareem. All depends on consistency

And durability. The reason Abdul set such a high record in the first place was because he played nearly 80 games almost every single year of his 20 seasons in the NBA. Plus he averaged somewhere between 20 and 30 points every one of those seasons except for his last three years, that's where consistency comes in.

• Owner

Durability and consistency...it makes a lot of sense. Might as well group "NBA longetivity" in there with it, or life span, or duration...whatever you want to call it.

You can be durable, but you also have to run off a long NBA career. Durability does help with that, but it's not always tied in. Look at Michael Jordan...could've played much longer in the league, but he decided not to, retired three times.

All of that, put together, speaks volumes about players lasting what seems forever, playing 75-80+ games a year, and putting up 25-30 PPG consistently. You want another example? Look at who's #2 on that list.

Durability and consistency...it makes a lot of sense. Might as well group "NBA longetivity" in there with it, or life span, or duration...whatever you want to call it.

You can be durable, but you also have to run off a long NBA career.

That's true. Along with being consistent with his scoring and being able to remain healthy, the player also has to age well and continue to remain highly productive from his youth, to his prime, to the end of a long career. It's a tough task, even though he already has the first part down and has a running start to that marathon. He scores very well for his age, as we all know. Durability and longevity has yet to be seen and something we'll witness over the next decade or two.

For now, we know that Durant scores well while he's young and athletic, but we have yet to see how he adjusts his skillset when he has more difficulty blowing by guys when that first step isn't in his arsenal anymore. He'll have to get stronger and use his length in the post. The KD sky hook perhaps?

Edited by Poe

Unlikely.

Damn, reading that makes me realize how crazy of a scorer Kareem was back then. I knew it was high, but for Durant to have to do all of that, it seems unlikely that anyone can break it for a long time.

Agree with RD. I'm sure no one in the game today will surpass Kareem. Kareem played 20 NBA seasons with only 1 season not getting to 1,000 points. (Last season with LA 748 points) Which is great scoring numbers for a guy in his 20th season. He is one of the most consistent scorers in the game, possible the most consistent. I don't see anyone passing him up, anytime soon.