New York at Toronto

Real Deal

• 1 month later...

Season starts with injuries, GREAT! <_<

Coach Mike D'Antoni named Landry Fields his starting shooting guard for Wednesday's opener.

Fields, a second-round rookie out of Stanford, came out of nowhere and earned this job with an eyebrow-raising preseason. Still, we shouldn't get too excited from a fantasy perspective. Fields is a glue guy more than a weapon and will have Wilson Chandler/Toney Douglas beating down his door immediately. The upside here isn't much more than 12 points, four rebounds and a 3-pointer nightly.

Source

Also confirmed on Howard Becks twitter

I am surprised and at the same time I'm not. Landry def deserves it, but so did Bill Walker/Chandler/Gallo (idk whos starting SF). Let's see what the kid can do.

Leaving now to drive back to Philly, will likely miss the beginning of the game at least... Especially since it's raining. 70 is going to be an absolute [expletive].

Good luck Rap fans! Let's do it Knick fans!

:o, hurry your [expletive] up!!!

Well this is going to be the start of an interesting season for the Raptors. So many question and as of right now the Raptors don’t have a real direction. Bryan has the trade exception which he has to use up until the summer. At the end of the day I’m going to watch the season to tune in on the development of Demar.

Why are my posts gone?

Server problem.

as of right now the Raptors don’t have a real direction.

I actually think it is the opposite of that.

I think this is the first time since Colangelo took over that this team actually has a direction. The team has officially entered rebuilding mode while basically every other season since Colangelo took over he has done nothing but throught together a cluster[expletive] of talent together in hopes that it would result in wins.

With DeRozan, Kleiza Weems, Bargnani, Johnson and Davis he has finally put together a young nucleus together while building for he future. He has surrounded these younger players with veteran leaders like Jack, Evans and Calderon to help mentor them.

Clearly their isn't a whole lot of talent and none of these players are ever going to be a star in this league, but I honestly thnk this is the first time since he took over that the team actually has a direction. It took him about 5 years, but better late than never I guess.

I can understand why you think the Raptors are rebuilding but I believe that Bryan Colangelo tried his hardest to retool this past summer which he failed at. He made it clear he wanted to retool and he has made it clear that something most likely will happen with the trade exception that will improve the team. This team needs to rebuild and the Raptors have good core pieces to start with.

I don't know.

He was trading Turkoglu to anybody willing to take on his contract. It turns out he struck gold by getting somebody of Barbosa's caliber in return, but I honestly think he would've traded Turkoglu regardless of what the return was, as long as he got a shorter term contract back.

The Kleiza signing could be argued either way. You could argue he was brought in for immediate impact, but you can also argue that he is a piece for the future considering his age fits right in with the youth movement of the team.

The Chandler trade that fell through would've cleared a lot of money from the Raptors books. I do think he went after that trade to help the roster as well, but in my opinion, the number one reason for it was to clear Calderon's contract while freeing up enough space to offer basically a max contract in the summer.

The Barnes signing that fell through wasn't a rebuilding move. That is for sure.

I think his original plan was to try and put the best lineup on the floor possible, but once Peddie basically confirmed that he will get an extension with the team and that his job wasn't in any sort of danger, I think he changed his stance on the team.

I can understand the argument either way. Intentional or not, though, this is the first time that I can legitimately say that entering the season the Raptors have a direction. As of this moment, they are a rebuilding team. Who knows what Colangelo will do to potentially change that in the future as he is completely unpredictable.