Toronto at Portland

• 2 months later...

This is the first Saturday off work I've had in a while, so I was planning on going to a hockey game, but it looks like a crappy game (worst team in the league is coming to town) and I'd rather save the money, so I'll probably be staying home and watching this. I've also got a project that needs to be done for school, so I'll probably work on that while watching.

Anyways, I'm not expecting much after last night. I can defintiely see the Raptors having a bit of a let down after playing the Lakers so tough last night. They've never been all that good on the 2nd end of back to backs either, and Portland is a very tough opponent, especially at home.

I'm most interested in seeing if Calderon can continue his solid play as of late. He has looked very solid over the last 3 games and is playing a lot like the Calderon that Raptor fans came to love (although I was never particularly fond of him). He has definitely outplayed Jack so far this season and that Laker game, although I only saw the "Game in an Hour" footage, was the best game I've seen from him in a long time.

Also, hopefully Sonny Weems is good to go. I liked what I saw from him the past two games. He left last night's game with a knee injury and although I think it was nothing serious, I haven't heard much of anything about his status. You always worry when hearing a player has a knee injury, though.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

No Weems tonight as he is out due to tendanitis in his left knee. It sucks to see him miss the game due to injury, but I'm actually looking forward to seeing what Julian Wright can do tonight. I was really impressed with what I saw from him last night in LA and hopefully he can carry that over to tonight's game.

Pretty bad game for Toronto, but luckily for them, the Blazers have been pretty awful as well, at least everybody outside of Roy. The only players who seem to be doing anything for Toronto are Bargnani, Calderon and Johnson (at least for that stretch in the 1st).

The Blazers turned it on towards the end of the half there and it was clear just how outmatched the Raptors are as Portland's lead grew from 3 points to 11 in about 2 minutes of play.

DeRozan has been especially bad tonight, but at this point in his carrer it is a lot to ask of him to defend Kobe Bryant and be a focal point offensively one night and then immediately turn around and defend Brandon Roy the next night. Still, if you are going to be a starting shooting guard in the NBA you are going to have to get used to matchups like these on a regular basis.

The most telling stat of the night so far is the Raptors assists. I thinkt hey have a grand total of 2 assists in the first half. That is not the kind of play that will get the Raptors wins. They need to share the ball and play as a team as they don't have nearly enough talent to play iso ball.

So this is the Raptors that I was expecting to see this season. This is some awful ball.

On the bright side, at least we got to watch 5 pretty entertaining basketball games before the Raptors came back down to earth. It's not like they aren't trying or anything either because the effort has definitely been there, they just don't have any talent at all.

And, umm, no flagrant foul there? Camby nearly took Wright's head off. I know he went up with the intention to get the ball, but he nearly [expletive]ing killed Wright there. :lol:

EDIT: Nevermind, they called one. Also, after looking at the replay it wasn't as bad as it originally seemed.

He made a play on the ball, I don't think he even intended on fouling him he was going right for the block.

Also, it doesn't help Triano is playing the scrubbiest lineups possible, our rotations make no sense, they are different every game its so damn annoying.

Has Demar got a single minute all quarter? I tuned in with about 8 minutes left, and as usual, I am extremely pissed about Demar's minutes, or lack there of.

Edited by Check my Stats

He made a play on the ball, I don't think he even intended on fouling him he was going right for the block.

Also, it doesn't help Triano is playing the scrubbiest lineups possible, our rotations make no sense, they are different every game its so damn annoying.

Yeah, after they showed a replay it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. It just looked bad because he sort of grabbed onto him which resulted in a hard landing and the foul was near the head area. After seeing the replay, I wouldn't call it a flagrant, though.

I like how Wright plays defensively as he is very sharp on his rotations, but man, he is dumb on offense. I don't understand what he was thinking on that last two on one. He made a great read that resulted in a steal, but then completely forces a layup, which he airballed, when he had a wide open Barbosa with him. Poor decision by him there.

The only thing I care about now is that the Raptors make a three. Keep that streak alive please.

He probably is our best player, or second behind Barbosa. As sad as it sounds, its true.

This is why its so bull[expletive] that Demar isn't getting consistent minutes/shots, he should be able to play through his struggles, is Triano oblivious to how [expletive]ty we are?

I don't like the guy all that much, but Bargnani is clearly the best player on this team. Kleiza and Barbosa have both sucked something fierce this season for the most part. They were very good in the preseason but have been awful when the games have counted.

• Owner

He probably is our best player, or second behind Barbosa. As sad as it sounds, its true.

This is why its so bull[expletive] that Demar isn't getting consistent minutes/shots, he should be able to play through his struggles, is Triano oblivious to how [expletive]ty we are?

I can't say Kleiza is better than Bargs, and over the course of their careers, I'd take Barbosa over Kleiza. Not sure how that comparison goes for those two this year, but Kleiza over Bargnani?

EDIT: NEVERMIND, haha.

I'm getting worried now. I think that the three point streak might come to an end tonight as nobody has their shot going from deep. They are something like 0-15 so far.

DeRozan has absolutely no confidence in his jump shot right now. You can tell that the last thing he wants to do is to take those open jumpers. The next step in his development will be to get that jumper down beacuse he is going to have no driving lanes if he can't consistently knock down an open 15 foot jumper. You can already see teams keying in on his spin move in the paint as well, which is his go to move. Definite growing pains for him tonight.

Man I [expletive] on Jose all the time but he is starting to play pretty well this year. 6 APG in 22 MPG is pretty sick.

The assists are nice, but what I like the most is that he is being so much more aggressive on offense and isn't just living off of his jumper. He has had more layups in the last two games than he did in the entire preseason. That has opened up his jumper which he has been sticking with nice consistency so far this road trip.

:lol:

The Blazers are just toying with the Raptors now. That was a sick move by Miller.

They should just start launching threes for the rest of the game to try and keep their streak alive. They put in Andersen, so that is a good start. We all know there isn't a shot he doesn't like.