Utah at Miami

Real Deal

Guest The REAL STL10

No one did it for the Heat either.

Van Gundy, speaking Monday on "The Waddle & Silvy Show" on ESPN 1000, backed up a prediction he made to the Miami Herald that the Miami Heat can break the Bulls' record. "I would think that everybody would think they would have a great shot at it," said Van Gundy, a former NBA head coach and current ABC/ESPN analyst. "I don't know if I said they will or they have a great chance, whatever I said, I just think if they're healthy, the discrepancy between their talent level and and the next level is so great, that I just don't see how they lose games. I think they're that good." Van Gundy told the Herald that the Heat will break the record, and that they have a "legit shot" at the Los Angeles Lakers' 33-game win streak, which they set in the 1971-72 season. Bulls vice president of basketball operations John Paxson, who retired after the 1993-94 season, did not dismiss the possibility of the Heat threatening the record. "On paper, that's one heck of a team," Paxson said Tuesday on "The Waddle & Silvy Show" on ESPN 1000. "You look at what they can throw out there, night in and night out, they're going to be difficult to defend at a lot of positions. "When the salary cap came in higher than it was anticipated, not only did it help a lot of teams, but it really helped them because they were able to gain a little more flexibility and sign guys likeMike Miller. They're going to be very good, and only time will tell. But that's why we strap it up and play." Van Gundy based his prediction at least partially on what James was able to accomplish in Cleveland. "Erik Spoelstra is a heck of a coach, so they're going to be motivated to play well defensively, which is about coaching, and offensively they're going to be an absolute nightmare to deal with," Van Gundy said on ESPN 1000. "If LeBron James can win 66 games in the regular season with the guys he played with, who I think are better than people have given them credit for in Cleveland, then I think you add Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh and Mike Miller, it's not a stretch to say they can win six more." Van Gundy backed off -- slightly -- from his claim that the Lakers are the only team that could beat the Heat in a playoff series. "I think Boston -- with the [shaquille] O'Neal signing -- has a legitimate chance as well," he said. "But I think those are the only two teams that have a chance in a playoff series to beat them."

ESPN

Edited by The REAL STL10

Guest The REAL STL10

Losing to Utah means you suck now?

Losing to Utah after being up by 22 doesn't do wonders to endorse your argument...

Edited by The REAL STL10
  • Like 1

• Owner

The most amazing thing is Millsap had been 0-for-20 in his CAREER and then all of a sudden, in CRUNCH time, he buried THREE (not one, not two) 3s...

Wow... I also turned off my TV midway through 4th. :angry:

He was 2-20 before hitting those tonight.

Damn, wish I didn't turn this game off, looks like it was a terrific game. LBJ and Wade both had huge games, as did Deron and Millsap.

LBJ can't be shooting close to 20 times unless he is on fire. Millsap going off like that is bananas/inexcusable.

I think those are the type of stat lines we (Heat perspective) want from LBJ, just not on 18 shots. Arroyo playing 30 minutes makes no sense, he is invisible out there (4 shot attempts & 2 assists), he isn't a threat, and if you are going to just sit him out there it might as well be House, both suck defensively but at least House spreads the floor. Arroyo should be coming off the bench, he would be more effective as an actual point guard, he needs the ball in his hands, House can just spot up from 3.

Spo's seat is definitely going to be getting hot though, they are 1-3 against good teams, I don't care if they are still 'meshing', they should be starting to hit their stride by now.

Edited by Check my Stats

• Owner

The fact is, you don't stick the ball in LeBron's hands and still decide to start Arroyo and play him 30 minutes. House or Chalmers needs that opportunity. Arroyo is only effective when he's handling the ball.

The only problem with House is that his defense sucks, and you're basically going to lack defense at two very important positions that many of the stronger contenders show their teeth at (PG and center). Chalmers is a better defender, at least every now and then, but he's a wreck back on offense...yet hasn't had the opportunity to really become completely ignored on the offensive end (if that makes sense).

When you bring in three all-star to superstar caliber players that all need the ball, you can't surround them with role players that need the ball. They say a stacked team needs more than one basketball. Not always true...but the Heat need to make sure their role players aren't the ones causing that problem. If anyone, it needs to be LeBron and Wade, the two most capable of making it work and leading the team.