Cleveland at San Antonio

Real Deal

• 2 months later...

I don't see how this is easy for the Spurs. Every game the Cavs have played this year has been close, so I'm not worried about us being competitive. However, I am concerned with us not playing a complete game, leading to another close loss due to our lazy play. Hickson needs to step up his focus.

• Owner

This team doesn't even need a 30-minute Duncan, let alone one for 20 minutes. That's fantastic for the organization, and good for Tim until he's actually needed.

If the idea is to play like this every night, resting Tim...they can't change their style of play. They have to keep their identity, or they will get a swift kick in the throat once they start playing out of the post every single trip down the floor during the playoffs, because Tim is definitely, 100% not the same player he was a few seasons back.

It may be Tim that has to adjust, come playoff time...and I'm not sure if he can.

• Owner

You're talking about Tim Duncan bro, you know he will be able to adjust especially come playoff time. You're acting like Duncan has fallen off completely, you forgot that he was still playing at a very high level in the playoffs last year.

I'm sure he will, but that wasn't my point.

The Spurs are playing faster than they ever have. They are feeding off of Parker and Manu. It's a much different game. How much success will this team have playing one way all season long, then going back to the "Duncan halfcourt offense" they've won four championships with?

They will either go back to him, or they will continue to play this way and miss his contributions in the post, and elite teams will eat that up in a seven-game series.

There's more good than bad when you rest players...but there's still bad. This is going to be an issue when April rolls in.

And I wouldn't consider Duncan's playoff performance (overall) at a high level when you compare it to his other performances. His career playoff average, before the last two seasons, was 23.4 PPG and 12.7 RPG. In his last two, he has failed to average 20 PPG both times, failed to grab 10 RPG both times as well. His 2.6 APG in last season's playoffs were his lowest since his rookie season. Nine straight seasons of averaging 10.5+ rebounds per game in the playoffs until his last two post-seasons (and in four of those nine, he averaged over 14, including one just three seasons back).

Coincidently, those last two seasons were wins of 50 and 54, one being the worst regular season of his career and the other being the third worst. The only time Duncan never found his way out of the first round? Two seasons ago (he didn't play in 2000). Last season, he was swept in the second round, something that has never happened to him before so shortly.

I don't take in much from defensive rating numbers, but it's something to consider when Duncan's defensive ratings have been their lowest in his last four seasons in the NBA, and also the case in his last two playoff appearances (which show he has been a wreck on defense in those).

Third lowest FG% of his career, lowest scoring of his career, lowest minutes, second lowest rebounds, lowest shot attempts...he's being pushed completely out of the picture by a Spurs team that has its highest offensive rating since 1995, and has not seen a defensive rating under 100 for three consecutive years now, after having 10 straight years under 100 (and that's amazing).

I don't know what else needs to be said. Duncan is definitely not the same, and neither is this Spurs team.

Cavs were holding on tight in the first half and were doing on a fine job but in the second half the Spurs just pulled away and killed the game. They won it 92-116. Hickson needs to start focusing and show that he's the leader for the Cavs but I think that since Mo Williams came back, Hickson doesn't play well.. dunno why!