San Antonio at New York

Real Deal

• 4 months later...

Nice win for the Knicks. Spurs played the worst D I have seen all season.

Pop just waved the white flag by pulling the starters.

He is. Way to give up with 3 minutes left.

Great win, pretty much beat the Spurs the entire game. Neither defense was good, as matter of fact I was really unimpressed by S.A. I thought they'd play better defense in the 2nd half...and it never came.

On a side and completely random note, anyone see that 7 year old kid screaming MIIIKE! MIIIIIIKEEEE! on the sidelines at D'antoni the entire 4th quarter? D'antoni never responded.

MVP chants for Amare lol Knicks fans....

Who would be your pick? He's at least a top 3 candidate right now...at the absolute worst.

Very entertaining game when I was watching (I was going between this and the Heat/Bucks game). This was an important win for the Knicks because it showed they can not only keep the game competitive with an elite team, but beat them as well. On the Spurs side of the ball, I think they and Pop know against young and energetic teams like the Knicks who can match their high-octane offense that they should slow it down and let their defense have a better chance at slowing them down.

First of all, props to the Knicks. That was a got damn impressive offensive display. Their passing was excellent and their shooting was even better. The 1999 Spurs wouldn't have had much success against the Knicks on this night.

That said, two mystifying defensive decisions seemed to doom the Spurs. First of all, why was the gameplan to go under the screen against Felton? He's a good shooter who became a great shooter once he knew the Spurs were going to dare him to shoot each and every time he was in a pick-and-roll. I realize going over the pick-and-roll would have allowed him to get more penetration ... but with the way he was murdering the Spurs from the perimeter, a change to the plan would have been nice at some point.

The only time the Spurs had moderate success against Felton was when they were switching everything. But when Duncan on the floor, that was no longer possible in the fourth quarter. At that point, going over the screen and forcing him to make plays going toward the basket would have been nice.

The other issue I had was the decision to throw hard double-teams at Stoudemire in the second half. With as hot as the shooters around Stoudemire were firing, it was suicide. I'd much rather Stoudemire take a contested 17-footer than allow an open three-pointer time after time. I know Stoudemire isn't exactly Magic Johnson when it comes to passing but he's a good enough passer to find the open man when he's doubled so far away from the hoop while facing up.

Again, the Knicks deserve a lot of the credit for putting 128 points on the board but those two coaching decisions weren't helping matters. It was almost as if Pop wanted to expose his own team's defensive shortcomings . . .

Who would be your pick? He's at least a top 3 candidate right now...at the absolute worst.

I'd put Dirk and Dwight ahead of him, possibly Rose as well.

I agree that he is a candidate, but I don't think he is top 3 at worst. Top 5, sure, I think you can definitely make the argument that those three are more deserving candidates.

Very entertaining game when I was watching (I was going between this and the Heat/Bucks game). This was an important win for the Knicks because it showed they can not only keep the game competitive with an elite team, but beat them as well. On the Spurs side of the ball, I think they and Pop know against young and energetic teams like the Knicks who can match their high-octane offense that they should slow it down and let their defense have a better chance at slowing them down.

I would still take Dirk, LBJ, Dwight, And maybe even Wade over Amar'e right now. I give all the props in the world to NY, but I still have little to no faith in them when in counts. A D'Antoni Team will not have success in the post season with their lack of defense (especially Amar'e). Now I know they didn't show it tonight, but San Antonio has shown that they are a much better defensive team (even against high octane teams).

I'd put Dirk and Dwight ahead of him, possibly Rose as well.

I agree that he is a candidate, but I don't think he is top 3 at worst. Top 5, sure, I think you can definitely make the argument that those three are more deserving candidates.

I suppose. I just think that what Amare has done for the Knicks franchise and putting up some pretty amazing stats since his slow start puts him at least ahead of Rose. I think the Suns' rough start and the Knicks' huge resurgence really showed Amare's true value. I'd also put Dirk and Dwight ahead of him (Dirk because of the Mavs' record, and Dwight because of how he anchors a top 5 defense with so little supporting defensive talent, while putting up 20+PPG on tremendous efficiency), but not Rose. Even though Rose probably has the gaudier all-around stats, his team has more depth, talent, and I really think the whole story of Amare rebuilding the Knicks' franchise should and will affect MVP voters.

I would still take Dirk, LBJ, Dwight, And maybe even Wade over Amar'e right now. I give all the props in the world to NY, but I still have little to no faith in them when in counts. A D'Antoni Team will not have success in the post season with their lack of defense (especially Amar'e). Now I know they didn't show it tonight, but San Antonio has shown that they are a much better defensive team (even against high octane teams).

LBJ and Wade cancel each other out IMO, and if you take one of them off you still have a 50+ win team with Bosh as the 2nd option IMO. You can see my arguement for Amare in the above quote in regards to those other candidates.

And who cares how a D'Antoni playoff team will do in the post-season? MVP is a regular season award and the Knicks are like 18-3 since the slow start on the back of the league's 2nd leading scorer.

I suppose. I just think that what Amare has done for the Knicks franchise and putting up some pretty amazing stats since his slow start puts him at least ahead of Rose. I think the Suns' rough start and the Knicks' huge resurgence really showed Amare's true value. I'd also put Dirk and Dwight ahead of him (Dirk because of the Mavs' record, and Dwight because of how he anchors a top 5 defense with so little supporting defensive talent, while putting up 20+PPG on tremendous efficiency), but not Rose. Even though Rose probably has the gaudier all-around stats, his team has more depth, talent, and I really think the whole story of Amare rebuilding the Knicks' franchise should and will affect MVP voters.

The thing with Rose is that, while the Bulls may have more talent than the Knicks, their three best players (Rose, Boozer and Noah) have only played around 8 or 9 games together and they have a gaping hole at the 2 guard spot, but despite that, they are on pace to win around 56 games this season. He is averaging career highs in every single major statistical catagory other than FG% (but his TS% is equal to his current career high) while playing the best defense of his career as well, although he isn't great on that end yet.

I can definitely understand the argument for putting Amare over Rose, but if I had to vote for one or the other right now, Rose would get my vote because of how he has managed to round out his game on both ends of the floor and put his team on a 56 win pace despite missing Boozer for 15 or so games and losing Noah for what will probably be around 15-20 games as well.

The thing with Rose is that, while the Bulls may have more talent than the Knicks, their three best players (Rose, Boozer and Noah) have only played around 8 or 9 games together and they have a gaping hole at the 2 guard spot, but despite that, they are on pace to win around 56 games this season. He is averaging career highs in every single major statistical catagory other than FG% (but his TS% is equal to his current career high) while playing the best defense of his career as well, although he isn't great on that end yet.

I can definitely understand the argument for putting Amare over Rose, but if I had to vote for one or the other right now, Rose would get my vote because of how he has managed to round out his game on both ends of the floor and put his team on a 56 win pace despite missing Boozer for 15 or so games and losing Noah for what will probably be around 15-20 games as well.

I think Amare has also rounded out his game on both ends of the floor, he's scoring more than Rose on a much better TS%, and while Rose has had to deal with injuries, his team was well-equipped to handle them. Last year Rose started the season off very slow due to injury and they still ended up .500. In the off-season they made some minor upgrades aside from Boozer, so when they started the season off without Boozer, they were still a much better team than the .500 ballclub from last year, and same for when Boozer came back and Noah went out. Meanwhile, the Knicks are a completely new project with 0 experience in winning besides Amare (and Felton to a degree), and because they had so many new pieces they got off to a 2-8 start. Despite that start, the Knicks have a similar record to the Bulls, and overall even with the injuries the Bulls are still a lot deeper and more well-rounded than the Knicks are.

And as I said, I think the fact that Amare is doing so much for a franchise that has been in a decade worth of turmoil, along with his vibrant personality, does play a major factor.

But, in all honesty I completely forgot about Rose in my first post, though I do think Amare should be ahead of him in the voting.