Nuggets to extend Karl

I would rather have he prove and get it next summer...

He's still the one who publicly said he thought he'd quit or get fired in the 2008-09 season "but Billups changed everything"... have you ever heard someone say "you know what someone saved me from losing my job and for that I think I deserve an extension"? :lol:

He also admitted to "mail it in" for two seasons in 2006-07 and 2007-08 seasons... no wonder I complained a whole lot about him looking disinterested in games during these seasons.

I have been concerned about the players' body language in Game 5 and 6 of Laker series. Even Karl's favorite Billups who never starts issue with any coach, had a poor body language in terms of acknowledging when Karl speaks in the locker room. None of players sees Karl eye to eye, not even Billups. He's like a broken record... When Billups started hot in Game 2 of fourth quarter, Karl wanted to sub in AC for him, and when Billups went to the bench he shook his head. All these little things are not little, it's the general sentiment of a group of players interacting with its leader. They have to mesh well. I think at the start of 2008-09 season, when we acquired Billups, the energy was there all the way until first two rounds of playoffs... but when we started losing to Lakers... that's when the lows began...

When you lose you're going to see players moan, complain, even point fingers at each other... it's how you react/ respond to that. When Billups does not step up for Karl, it's when Karl again loses his ground and is left figuring out what to do next... because he doesn't know what to do without Billups.

Extension or not, it's not going to give Karl any edge to the players. I predict players will tune him out at the start of the season... although I hope we won't and get along just fine.

This is a poor decision... if he's a lame duck so be it.

^Agreed.

IMO Billups did a better job of coaching than Karl. Since when did GK get his team to play defense?

This year... Billups deserves credit, but don't take too much credit away from Karl here.

Edited by Camby23Land

Karl deserves credit to make himself more open minded about players inputs... but the 2008-09 season was about the whole team including Karl jumping on Billups' back. And it ultimately wore out on Billups himself too when the coach is like "cmon Billups these players are not listening to me, help me out here."

It's going to be a big problem...

I don't know how much of a problem it will be, Billups is a second coach and I see him coaching when he retires, I don't see how being a floor general and leading the team will wear him down, I mean it's a lot of work of course, but he did similar things in Detroit.

Billups can be a coach's extension on the floor but does not mean the whole coaching thing falls solely on him. I'm talking about managing egos, which has been Karl's biggest weakness. He said that himself, he hates it, instead of embracing it because coaching multi-millionaire athletes, there has to be ego to be managed. You can't have 13 Chauncey Billupses/ players without egos on one team... it's impossible. All I'm saying is managing ego is part of coaching in the NBA and Karl has been notoriously trying to avoid that because he's just not good at it, and he hates it he's not good at it and never improves. From Payton and Kemp to Ray Allen, Big Dog, Tim Thomas in Milwaukee to USA coaching stint... he's spiraling down and instead of facing the problem he avoids it because it got him into trouble in the past (with players) and led to players tuning him out and led to him being fired. So now everytime there's a personnel or player management that needs to be addressed, he shies away because it got him into trouble before and it will get him into trouble again. But there's no such job anywhere where you get to pick which part you like to do the most and abandon the parts you hate... e.g. all kitchen hands must throw out garbage bags out when the restaurants close, but if you refuse to do that because you hate it, the restaurant will eventually fire you, because they're not functioning effectively with you causing someone else, who's not supposed to do it, do the job.

So everytime there's players with attitude/ ego, he doesn't know how to deal with it. He's pulling hairs for the last 2 years before Chauncey came. With Chauncey, you have a player who constantly directs players on the court without fear of clashing with egos. With voice, then the group starts to click. They turned from a street ball team to a team playing efficient offense and tough defense. Chauncey is a true leader... Chauncey is what George Karl needs.

But there has to be a line between coach and player, after all Chauncey is not paid to coach. And do you (if you were Chauncey) really want to do somebody's else work for free and he sits back and relaxes?

When Chauncey stops doing it, it's evident Karl panics because this team does not hear what he says except when Chauncey speaks it for him. Chauncey is not without flaw, at some point, he has to fall back to his coach, and when his coach is clueless, that's when you realize you need somebody else. All I'm saying watch Lakers series again... it's evident to me... this team is going to tune him out sooner or later.

Edited by Snake

I think part of what Chauncey did was manage the egos to an acceptable extent.

I mean, of course this team isn't going to be as good without Chauncey from the looks of it now, but that's a long way down the road and, skill-wise, we have already found a replacement in Lawson that may not turn out as good as Chauncey, but is a non-turnover prone leader who can run the break and showed in college he can lead a team.

I honestly think by the time Chauncey's career is over, Karl will call it quits. I can't see this extension being too many years.