Toronto at San Antonio

Real Deal

• 4 months later...

Have class in 45 minutes so I'll miss the first half while the game is still live, but NBATV Canada is showing a replay at 9PM, so I think I might just not watch the 2nd half of this when I get home and watch the full game later.

As for the game, I don't know what to think. Every time I think that the Raptors are going to get absolutely smoked, they seem to play well and make it a competitive game, like the wins against Boston, Orlando, Dallas and close losses against teams like Miami, Atltanta etc...

Should be a nice test for Johnson and Davis matching up against Duncan. From the bits and pieces of the past couple of weeks, I've really liked what I have seen from these two as they are providing the Raptors with nice energy, hustle and defense. I know most people talk about Davis, but I think that developing Amir is just as important. People seem to forget that he is only 23 years old because he has already been in the league for 5 years. I know that Davis has a higher ceiling than him, but I still think that he can become a damn good first big off of the bench for this team.

I understand that most teams announcers are a little bit biased, but these Raptors announcers are pretty bad.

Spurs playing like garbae though.

It is Leo Rautins. If this game was on TSN instead os Sportsnet and you had Jack Armstrong calling the game alongside Devlin, it would've been fine. Rautins is just an idiot.

As for the game, seemed pretty good to me. DeRozan and Davis both have good nights and the Raptors play competitive basketball with the best team in the league for nearly 3 quarters before losing it in the 4th (late in the 3rd in this case). Pretty much the exact kind of game that I hope to see from this team for the rest of the season.

Somewhat disappointed in DeRozan only scoring around 4 points in the 2nd half, but Ginobili really took it upon himself to shut DeRozan down and didn't give him any room to do anything. DeRozan really needs to tighten up his handle if he is going to take his game to the next level. His jumper has progressed to the point where you at least need to respect him from 18 feet away, but he just doesn't have a reliable enough handle to score against tough defense like kind that Ginobili was playing him. It is actually encouraging that he can put up these kinds of nights despite the fact that his handle is so weak. It gives me a lot of hope for his future.

Oh yeah, I hope to god that Sundiata Gaines isn't signed to another 10-day or, god forbid, for the rest of the season. That guy is just terrible. I cringed every time he touched the ball and was ready to throw the remote through the tv whenever he thought he was Jordan and tried to drive through all 5 Spur defenders.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that Calderon is back to being a complete scrub and Andrea Bargnani is about as usefull as Linas Kleiza when his shot isn't falling. In games where he is shooting 5-20 or whatever he did tonight, there is literally no point in having him on the floor as he is completely useless in every other aspect of the game. This season is making it quite clear that his role for the future should be that of an offensive spark plug sixth man type of role. Guy just can't be a starter logging 35 minutes a night unless he is paired with an elite low post big.

Edited by Built Ford Tough