Garnett vs Duncan

JWaLL

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This has been a longtime debate, and even now there has never been one solidified conclusion about who is truly the better basketball player. In a comparison like this, you really have to break down every aspect of a forward's game and see who has the edge in each category. I used a website as a guide of which categories to use, but the explanations are strictly my own opinions.

Accomplishments: Duncan, no further comments necessary.

Winner: Tim Duncan

Clutch: We've seen what Duncan has been able to do in the clutch. Whether it be that surprising game-tying 3 pointer he had against the Suns in the playoffs that one year, or that crazy falling down shot he had against the Lakers to give them a slight lead (which was soon topped by Derek Fisher's amazing last millisecond turnaround jumper), Duncan clearly has the edge in the clutch. Garnett has not proven that he can truly close a game the way Duncan does.

Shooting Ability: While both forwards have an amazing shooting ability for big men, I'll have to give this advantage to Garnett. Duncan's game revolves around mostly shot faking and then driving in for his easy shot. While he definitely can shoot, Garnett takes much more jumpers, and makes a good amount of them as well. It is a very reliable aspect of his game, while shooting is probably one of the less reliable aspects of Duncan's game.

Winner: Kevin Garnett

Ball Handling: Garnett has demonstrated an unusually elite talent of ball handling for a man of his size. Not many power forwards can dribble the ball the way he does. However, while Duncan isn't a great overall ball handler, he has demonstrated an amazing ability to dribble on the wing, pass to an open teammate off the dribble, or just pound to the basket to get a shot off. This is one of the harder categories to give the edge to one player. If it was up to me, I would have to give it to Garnett, just due to his advantage in speed and overall athleticism.

Rebounding: Both are two of the top rebounders in the league today, and possibly of all time as well. While Garnett may have the edge in his athleticism to jump up and grab a rebound, Duncan boxes out better than any forward you will probably ever see. His rebounding IQ is clearly off the charts. I give the slight edge to Duncan.

Post Skills: Duncan wins this category only because more of his game revolves around being in the low post. He also seems to be more effective at pounding the ball down low and getting an easy basket nearly every time. Garnett steps out around the perimeter and takes more mid range shots rather than posting up more often. In this category, I have to give it to Duncan.

Defense: There is really no explanation needed here. While Duncan has the edge in shot blocking, but Garnett's overall defensive ability is absolutely off the charts. Garnett has Duncan in this category hands down.

So, in my opinion, Tim Duncan is the better overall basketball player, but the decision can really go either way. I believe accomplishments are what have given Duncan the edge in most conclusions in this player comparison.

Kevin Garnett is not a better defender even though he won a DPOTY.

Care to elaborate? Garnett is a hands down better defender in every aspect besides actually blocking shots. Don't let the fact that Duncan is the better overall player affect your judgement in that category.

Care to elaborate? Garnett is a hands down better defender in every aspect besides actually blocking shots. Don't let the fact that Duncan is the better overall player affect your judgement in that category.

Well, one might argue that Garnett has a slight edge right now because he's still fleet-footed and it allows him to make quicker rotations and defend the perimeter without being a liability, but in their respective primes, Duncan was absolutely the superior defender. Excellent fundamentals defensively (obviously), Duncan was the quintessential defensive anchor and interior defender. He did everything right.

Right now though, I don't know what to make of either players. They've both regressed noticeably.

Edited by His Greatness