Who should start at SG, SF, PF?

Newman

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

At the moment, there is only two positions locked up in the Pacers: PG with Darren Collison and C with Roy Hibbert. Obviously Granger would be a lock to start as well, but I wonder whether he will start at SF or PF. If I remember correctly, Paul George is also promised a starting spot.

However, who would you choose as SG,SF and PF respectively for the Pacers for the majority of the season? For me, it is the 'best combination available' regardless of the opponents. Therefore, I am going with Danthay Jones for defense, Danny Granger for scoring and Tyler Hansbrough for rebounding + the little things in the post.

Though it doesn't fit the traditional positional criteria, I'd start Granger, Dunleavy, and George. They are the three most talented players you can put alongside Collison and Hibbert, and having them on the court together will generate the most efficient scoring out of any other 5 player combination the Pacers have. Defensively, even though only Granger may be considered a top-notch defender, all three have similar size, length, and weight, and all of them have the versatility to guard multiple positions.

Having them start together would also make bench rotations simpler:

Darren Collison / TJ Ford

Danny Granger / Brandon Rush

Mike Dunleavy / Dahntay Jones

Paul George / Tyler Hansbrough

Roy Hibbert / Jeff Foster

• Owner

They should just stick with the players' primary positions, so they can get a feel of what they need.

The idea (what I've read) is that they will go into the season with...

C - Roy Hibbert

PF - Tyler Hansbrough

SF - Danny Granger

SG - Paul George

PG - Darren Collison

They would like to have a shooter off the bench, where Dunleavy fills that void. That's why they were looking at Korver during free agency. He's not the shooter Korver is, by any means (best shooter in the league), but they are hoping to finally see production out of him.

^ I suppose that makes sense, though the starting line up is missing scorers except for Hibbert (somewhat) and Granger. I suppose they are expecting big things from their rookie Paul George and a major improvement from Hansbrough. One thing that stands out to me, though, is that starting Hansbrough leaves them without a backup at power forward.

Anyway, it looks to me like the Pacers are still building their roster. As far as I can tell, they still need to secure the PF and SG positions, as well as a much better bench.

• Owner

^ I suppose that makes sense, though the starting line up is missing scorers except for Hibbert (somewhat) and Granger. I suppose they are expecting big things from their rookie Paul George and a major improvement from Hansbrough. One thing that stands out to me, though, is that starting Hansbrough leaves them without a backup at power forward.

Anyway, it looks to me like the Pacers are still building their roster. As far as I can tell, they still need to secure the PF and SG positions, as well as a much better bench.

They will find time for Granger at the four, and Josh McRoberts is still around (ha). Also, Indiana expects Magnum Rolle to get some minutes...maybe not big minutes, but for a rookie, he may get a good amount of playing time, granted it's the Pacers.

Tyler may do well. It seems like he's been playing hurt forever now. I'm excited to see what he'll do when he's healthy. Not expecting 20/10 or anything, of course...but I do expect him to be a banger near the rim, doing all of the dirty work.

I suppose with Collison at the helm then the Pacers would play more of a half-court offense, which means the traditional line-up would come into play. However, if TJ Ford/AJ Price is controlling the ball, I can see 3 swingmen running with the PG in transition as the pace is pushed higher.

It should be

PG Darren Collison-Obviously

SG Paul George- Played SG in college

SF Danny Granger- Keep him at his primary position for now

PF Tyler Hansbrough- The should try him out before experimenting with Granger at PF

C Roy Hibbert-Obviously

It should be

PG Darren Collison-Obviously

SG Paul George- Played SG in college

SF Danny Granger- Keep him at his primary position for now

PF Tyler Hansbrough- The should try him out before experimenting with Granger at PF

C Roy Hibbert-Obviously

yep, thats how i would have it

• 1 month later...

As of right now, our lineup should look like,

PG: Darren Collison

SG: Mike Dunleavy

SF: Danny Granger

PF: Tyler Hansbrough

C: Roy Hibbert

The reason I have Dunleavy in there is because he's finally healthy from his knee injury that has been dragging him down for the last few seasons. So far this pre-season he's shown that he finally has the elevation on his shot to hit the three again. He's also playing well in other areas of his game like passing, rebounding, and all around playing the game of basketball. George has shown some flashes, but I don't think throwing him right away is a good idea...let him spend the first half of the season at least on the bench watching the game and getting in to spell Dunleavy. At least that's what I think Indiana should do, and will do.

• Owner

Starting to change my mind about George. I know it's only preseason, and I read the Pacers gave George that promise that he would start (rumor, maybe?), but he's not ready.

In fact, if not Dunleavy, I would give Rush one more chance. He will at least try to defend, and crash the glass. Dunleavy is about as bad on defense as you can get, and may best be suited coming off the bench because, to be honest, I don't see much scoring beyond the starting five and TJ Ford (if Ford even lasts).

Starting to change my mind about George. I know it's only preseason, and I read the Pacers gave George that promise that he would start (rumor, maybe?), but he's not ready.

In fact, if not Dunleavy, I would give Rush one more chance. He will at least try to defend, and crash the glass. Dunleavy is about as bad on defense as you can get, and may best be suited coming off the bench because, to be honest, I don't see much scoring beyond the starting five and TJ Ford (if Ford even lasts).

Have you not watched the last two pre-season games from Paul George? He's been putting up good numbers, and I think he's starting to get settled into the NBA. No, he's not ready to start yet, but he will be able to do some scoring off the bench.

Other scorers include Dunleavy and Rush like you just stated, A.J. Price, T.J. Ford, Hansbrough, and there are more. If you want me to go more in depth about it I'm willing to, but I don't think your seeing how much talent this team has man. They definitely have enough scoring beyond the starting five and Ford.

• Owner

You and I have conflicting definitions of the word "scorer." Price is nowhere near a scorer. He put up points in garbage time last season and shot the ball poorly. As much as I loved Rush in Kansas, he can't shoot either. His role should be limited to defense and rebounding the ball.

George's last two? His last game, he did very well. The game before that (vs. Hornets), he looked like a D-Leaguer. One good scoring game out of his six preseason games doesn't make him a scorer, at all. Granted it's preseason, he still needs to prove that he can shoot the ball. Six games, just one over 40% shooting (and four of them 33% or less).

The rest of them, who knows. Ford is a scorer when he's playing. I have yet to see him play a game this preseason. Tyler scored the ball in college, but shot 36% last season...didn't actually play injured, either, because he was pretty healthy when he played...just didn't play like a big man should.

I still have high expectations for the Pacers, because they picked up an excellent point guard in Collison, Granger is still around and Hibbert is looking better and better...but that won't carry them deep into the playoffs, either, if in fact they do get in to begin with.