Deron Next To Ask For Trade?

The Regime

Following free agency, this summer has been dominated by trade rumors involving Chris Paul and Carmelo Anthony.

While discussing Anthony on Thursday, ESPN.com's Marc Stein wrote a quick paragraph on Jazz point guard Deron Williams.

"I have a feeling he's next for all these trade stories," a Western Conference official said of Williams.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/68951/20100902/deron_next_to_ask_for_trade/

I don't see any reason why Deron would want to leave its not like the Jazz suck. They pretty much filled in every hole that was left during the off-season. Al Jefferson replaced Carlos Boozer and can play both PF and C, Gordan Hayward replaced Kyle Korver and is an upgrade over Korver IMO, and they get Raja Bell. Their not a team that I see competing for the championship this year but their definitely not bad.

I don't see any reason why Deron would want to leave its not like the Jazz suck. They pretty much filled in every hole that was left during the off-season. Al Jefferson replaced Carlos Boozer and can play both PF and C, Gordan Hayward replaced Kyle Korver and is an upgrade over Korver IMO, and they get Raja Bell. Their not a team that I see competing for the championship this year but their definitely not bad.

Yeah the Jazz is definitely not a bad team, but they are filling holes, not upgrading their roster which I consider to be lacking in depth in comparison to other teams. The Nuggets and the Hornets aren't 20-30 win teams either, but you have seen what Melo and Paul has done.

To me, if CP3 gets his wish and gets traded to a contender then I believe Deron might request a trade. Just because of the fact that they are competing for the top PG spot. If Paul gets on a contender and provide 20-10 (which he will with Dwight/other dominant big man on his side) then no doubt the public's opinion of him will be better.

The Jazz don't seem to me like they are a championship organization, just a franchise that looks to add pieces good enough to win and be in playoff contention, yet cheap enough to remain under the salary cap.

If they were truly a championship organization, they'd do everything in their power to find a third star to have next to Deron and Jefferson, even if it means going over the cap and spending the money for the extra talent. They need to find someone like an Andrew Bynum, a Manu Ginobili, a Ray Allen, etc. Instead, their mentality is just to fill holes and make sure they have all necessary roles filled. Nothing below and nothing beyond.

At least that's my take on the Jazz and their overall history. It could be the reason why Deron may eventually ask to leave and find a team that's willing to make those sacrifices that may ultimately lead to achieving higher goals.

Edited by Poe

Deron's numbers are great (20 and 10) but I get this feeling that he's never a great player, just an All Star with great numbers.

I don't see Deron leading a team to a championship with him as a no 1 or even 2 option. If he can form his super friends, then it's possible for him to win a championship, other than that, I'm real skeptical with him as no. 1 or 2 option.

Deron's numbers are great (20 and 10) but I get this feeling that he's never a great player, just an All Star with great numbers.

I don't see Deron leading a team to a championship with him as a no 1 or even 2 option. If he can form his super friends, then it's possible for him to win a championship, other than that, I'm real skeptical with him as no. 1 or 2 option.

As a #1 option, you're probably right. But as a #2 option he'd absolutely be good enough to win a championship. I don't see how that can even be questioned.

Anyway, back on topic, I don't feel Deron would ever demand a trade. He's in a nice situation with the Jazz where he's on a darkhorse contender every year, and the fanbase loves him. I could see him eventually landing somewhere else via S&T, but he's not the type of guy that would put his franchise in turmoil by demanding trades while he's still under contract.

For some reason I dont see Deron being the type of a person to ask for a trade like Melo and CP3. Derons personality seems to be more like Brandon Roy and Kevin Durant. Also Deron has a better team than CP3 so I just dont see him joining another couple stars some where else to win one.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah the Jazz is definitely not a bad team, but they are filling holes, not upgrading their roster which I consider to be lacking in depth in comparison to other teams. The Nuggets and the Hornets aren't 20-30 win teams either, but you have seen what Melo and Paul has done.

To me, if CP3 gets his wish and gets traded to a contender then I believe Deron might request a trade. Just because of the fact that they are competing for the top PG spot. If Paul gets on a contender and provide 20-10 (which he will with Dwight/other dominant big man on his side) then no doubt the public's opinion of him will be better.

True that but at the moment though I just don't see Deron Williams asking for a trade. I think he'll start thinking about moving depending on how the Jazz play this season. Or maybe he'll leave for the reason you said If a guy like CP3 decides to join a big 3.