Dampier released by the Bobcats

Real Deal

• Owner

Can someone provide me with a link, please? I just now walked out the door and got a notification on my phone about it, but no link. :\

Who wants to bet he goes to Miami?

EDIT:

Can someone provide me with a link, please? I just now walked out the door and got a notification on my phone about it, but no link. :\

EDIT:

I wouldn't bet against it, the Heat are still very thin at the 5 so that move would make a lot of sense for them.

Why did they release him? They could've used his contract for trade purposes...

They released him to get under the luxory tax, which is a difference of millions. It isn't like they would have gotten much value in return, anyway...

Guest Michael Jordan

well this sucks, it is good for them financially but they just handed the Heat (or Lakers?) a legit big who can give you 20 minutes of really solid basketball nightly, he could start at C for Miami.

WOW, I LOL'd.

Dampier is one of the worst players in the NBA.

I've watched him play the last 6 years with the Mavs and he is GOD AWFUL.

He can't catch the ball, pass, play defense, or run at all.

He is decent at rebounding and blocking shots.

Guest Michael Jordan

is that why his shooting percentages are so awesome and his rebounding rate is extremely solid as well? considering you have watched him 6 years you are pretty oblivious. I will take 6-7-1.5 on 60%+ in 20-25 minutes.

LOL at people who only look at stats and not footage.

LOL at people who only look at stats and not footage.

I don't need footage to tell me that he is a solid player, he is fine for what he is.... it sounds like you are faulting him because he can't get the ball thrown into him down low and go to work lol.... I have seen Damp play, I don't need to see him play 82 times or 5 seasons to know he is rock solid for 20 minutes a night.

EDIT:

Looks like there is definite interest on his side.

Erick Dampier was waived by the Bobcats on Tuesday.

Hours prior to his release, Michael Wallace of the Miami Herald wrote that Miami could be a potential destination for the center.

The Heat only have the $1.3 million veteran's minimum to offer, but it's possible that Dampier could accept the deal in order to play with a contender.

Wallace also wrote, "Dampier has already told at least one long-time associate in his Jackson, Miss. hometown that Miami would be at the top of his list if he's released."

Read more: http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/69113/20100914/dampier_could_land_in_miami/#ixzz0zYocumx3

Would be a solid signing for Miami, Damp and Z can split the minutes at the 5.

• Owner

If the Heat do find a way to rake in Dampier, they would basically be in the same boat as the Boston Celtics in regards to a stacked frontcourt with no direction. Not a bad thing, of course, but I don't know if that's a good thing, either.

Bosh will take up the majority of the minutes at the four, which leaves Haslem with less than he probably wants. Anthony is probably going to start because he's the best defensive big on the team, but he will play less minutes than he deserves if both Ilgauskas and Dampier are playing musical chairs with him.

Plus, I would think the Heat would give Haslem SOME minutes at the five, in a small lineup. He played 9% of the team's minutes at center last year. Not much, but it's still some (almost five).

For the Heat, adding depth to the frontcourt positions would be a HUGE addition. Dampier has the kind of size and defensive/rebounding abilities that will help the team big time if and when they run into the Lakers, Magic and Celtics. He is not the perfect Center, but for the veteran's minimum he can be a real asset come the post-season. Even if he doesn't get a ton of minutes and is hit with a few DNP's, he will still be valuable.

Personally, as a Heat fan, I suppose I wouldn't mind Dampier if he came cheap. The problem is, he's too much like Joel Anthony, and I don't know how useful it is to have two players that fill the same role and fulfill the same needs. I'd prefer a player that brings different elements to the team to fill that roster spot.

Edited by Poe

Personally, as a Heat fan, I suppose I wouldn't mind Dampier if he came cheap. The problem is, he's too much like Joel Anthony, and I don't know how useful it is to have two players that fill the same role and fulfill the same needs. I'd prefer a player that brings different elements to the team to fill that roster spot.

Dampier is bigger than Anthony, a much better rebounder and is a seasoned veteran. He offers a different look than Anthony.

Dampier is bigger than Anthony, a much better rebounder and is a seasoned veteran. He offers a different look than Anthony.

Perhaps he's better or worse at certain things, but he's of the same mold. If you look at the best teams, they usually are the ones with the widest variety of players. The Heat don't need two of the same player. Again though, I wouldn't mind him on the team.

Perhaps he's better or worse at certain things, but he's of the same mold. If you look at the best teams, they usually are the ones with the widest variety of players. The Heat don't need two of the same player. Again though, I wouldn't mind him on the team.

You got an athletic scoring machine at PF in Bosh (who is also an exceptional rebounder), you got a hustle guy and all-around great role player in Haslem backing him up, got a 7'3" Center who has a midrange game and is a good rebounder/post defender in Z, a hustle/shot-blocking athletic Center in Anthony, and then you could possibly have a veteran Center who is an exceptional rebounder and has size in Dampier. Not to mention Juwan Howard who can fill in either role. For what the team could offer in terms of salary, that is GREAT depth and pretty damn decent versatility. I know it's hard to put it into perspective considering all the amazing things Riley has done this offseason, and not every move can be a perfect fit, but Dampier would really help solve some of the team's questions in the frontcourt.