Anticipation for the Season

Teletopez

I don't think I have ever been as excited for a Nets season as I am for 2010-2011. The offseason before the 2005-2006 season may come close, but the path into this season is a different story.

There are a number of elements playing a role in this. After a 12-70 record last year, many of us are impatient for the team to get back on the court and put our struggles behind us. With a new home in Newark, a new coach and owner, and a completely different squad from what we had last season, you truly get that sense of "It's All New."

The Nets have received criticism for a couple of deals to which they signed players, and I feel that that has led to overlooking the talent that guys like Outlaw and Petro have.

We've also heard Avery Johnson talk about his emphasis on defense as well as making run and gun a significant part of the team's play. If Devin Harris stays healthy, imagine what it could mean if he is in his 08-09 form, while reuniting with Johnson and running a fast-paced style of play. With our financial problems gone, Johnson has been able to hire an assistant coaching staff of six guys, including Mitchell, his lead assistant, who agreed with Johnson in the spring that they'd work to forming a head coach-lead assistant combination, Krystowiak, who also worked the sidelines for two teams, and Popeye Jones, who can help develop our big men. Doug Overton is also back as Player Development Coach.

Along with that, this team's success depends on several factors, and there seems to be a wide range of spots in the standings in which the Nets have been projected to finish. Player development seems to be the main source for so much expected activity within the team from October onwards. Derrick Favors' growth is something everyone has been keeping their eye on. King and Johnson both had mentoring Favors in mind when they brought over Joe Smith and Troy Murphy. The team is packed with youth, so Derrick shouldn't be the only one who the Nets try to make a much better player.

Through all the anticipation, my mind creates a picture of a packed crowd at the Rock. I imagine a similar path that the Thunder took. This may be a very busy season.

This is the least excited I've been in a few years. The past 3-4 years we have come into the season with something to work towards, some sort of expectations, but now this year we find ourselves basically cheering to lose. My biggest fear is that we win 37 games and get a useless player in the late lotto, we need an impact player either through the TPE, or more preferably, through the draft.

I am excited to watch Demar develop, I think he is going to make major strides this year, I am nervous that Weems and Amir are going to press and try and do too much. Ideally Demar puts up 16-17 a game on solid percentages, Amir learns how to play his game without getting in foul trouble, and everyone else plays within themselves, and Ed Davis shows some nice flashes. A top 3 pick is what I want so badly.

Edited by travesy3