Karl Wants Carter, Kleiza Back In Denver

Nuggets coach George Karl still wants to see the team retain Anthony Carter and Linas Kleiza this summer.

"My hope is that we get (Anthony Carter) and (Linas Kleiza) back in a happy manner," Karl told HoopsWorld. "Free-agency right now, both of them are looking for a better deal than what is out there.Maybe they'll get it, maybe they won't. I would like to keep our team fairly intact from last year along with (Arron) Afflalo and Ty (Lawson). I think that would be a good step. Our improvement is going to come with our younger players mostly meaning Nene, Melo and J.R (Smith). People don't understand that we are a fairly young basketball team. The nucleus, we have four or five guys under the age of 25 or 26 years of age. They made some big steps last year, but there is still a window of improvement there."

He'd rather see the team re-sign Carter and Kleiza than acquire new players.

"Change doesn't always make you better," Karl added. "In fact, I think there should be some things written that change a lot of times doesn't work. I like what San Antonio's done, but you don't know the chemistry and how they're going to fit. It makes the media have a lot of fun in the summertime. Everybody's predicting. Like last year, everybody thought we were done. Somehow, someway the pieces fit better than they ever did. We got kind of a miracle year out of Chris Andersen, we found a great pickup in Dahntay Jones, and J.R. and Melo took great steps along with Nene."

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/60693/20090720/karl_wants_carter_kleiza_back_in_denver/