Ed Davis Injures Knee, Out At Least 6 Weeks

TORONTO -- Toronto Raptors rookie Ed Davis has suffered a knee injury less than two weeks before the start of training camp.

Davis suffered damage to his meniscus cartilage in his right knee while playing basketball Wednesday, the Raptors announced Friday, adding the team and Davis are evaluating treatment options.

A serious injury would be a blow to a young Raptors squad that lost Chris Bosh in the off-season when the all-star forward signed with the Miami Heat.

Toronto selected Davis, a University of North Carolina product, with the 13th overall pick in the NBA draft, hoping the six-foot-10 would help fill the front-court hole left by Bosh's departure.

http://tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=334124

Can this team ever head into a training camp at full strength? Last season Bosh missed part of camp because of a hamstring (I think) and Turkoglu missed part of it because of an inflamed vagina.

This season it looks like Davis will miss at least part of camp and who knows if Calderon will be at 100% either.

Hopefully this injury doesn't progress into anything serious, though. I know it is probably nothing, but you really hate to hear that a young big man has a knee injury.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

• Owner
Davis suffered damage to his meniscus cartilage in his right knee

Hate to say this...but that's what us Lakers fans heard with one of Drew's injuries.

Not saying it'll be something detrimental to his career...but it could be an injury that requires surgery sooner or later.

He had the same problem in college if I'm not mistaken. But that's exactly what NBA scouts were worried about when Brandon Roy first entered the league, so I wouldn't panic just yet.

For his sake though I hope he gets fully healthy before participating in any basketball related activities Would hate to see this as a lingering problem throughout the season.

Hate to say this...but that's what us Lakers fans heard with one of Drew's injuries.

Not saying it'll be something detrimental to his career...but it could be an injury that requires surgery sooner or later.

Yeah, that is why I was a bit worried when seeing hearing about this a couple of days ago.

From everything that I've read on the situation, it sounds like it is nothing more than a tweak or something else that is minor and just needs rest to heal, but in the back of your mind you can't help but think the worst when it comes to young bigs and their knees.

The ads at the bottom of the page about knee surgy and ACL rehabilitiation don't exactly help either. :lol:

He had the same problem in college if I'm not mistaken. But that's exactly what NBA scouts were worried about when Brandon Roy first entered the league, so I wouldn't panic just yet.

For his sake though I hope he gets fully healthy before participating in any basketball related activities Would hate to see this as a lingering problem throughout the season.

Do you have an article or a quote or something about him having this problem in college? I never heard anything about that. The only injury I was aware of was his broken wrist last season.

Not saying that I don't believe you or anything, I just never really heard of this before.

Yeah, that is why I was a bit worried when seeing hearing about this a couple of days ago.

From everything that I've read on the situation, it sounds like it is nothing more than a tweak or something else that is minor and just needs rest to heal, but in the back of your mind you can't help but think the worst when it comes to young bigs and their knees.

The ads at the bottom of the page about knee surgy and ACL rehabilitiation don't exactly help either. :lol:

Do you have an article or a quote or something about him having this problem in college? I never heard anything about that. The only injury I was aware of was his broken wrist last season.

Not saying that I don't believe you or anything, I just never really heard of this before.

Ah, my fault, it was his wrist, not his knee. But what I said about Brandon Roy is true, NBA teams were concerned with it as he entered the draft, and he turned out fine.

Was just about to post that.

He has a scope job done on his knee and won't be able to do any basketball related activities for at least six weeks, according to Raptors officials.

When I first heard about the injury I thought it was nothing to worry about, but once a couple of days passed and there was no update on him, I had a gut feeling that he was going to miss a decent amount of time.

This is some pretty crappy news, though. I wasn't expecting much from him this season, but I was hoping that he could stay healthy and play 25 minutes or so a night. With him missing training camp and the first couple of weeks of the season, he is going to be horribly out of shape, especially considering he was in pretty average shape to begin with, after missing most of his sophomore season at UNC with the broken wrist. It will probably be around December before he is finally back to 100% and in game shape.

Oh well, hopefully this just means more ping pong balls for Toronto, haha.

• Owner

;)

But, really, six weeks is good. You have to keep in mind that Ed Davis is a stick compared to Drew. I mean, that's what...60-75 pounds less weight on that knee?

How much of a set back do you think it will be for his development to miss his rookie season Training Camp?

I'm more worried about his missing camp and this being a lingering thing than I am about him actually missing the 6 weeks of action.

Man this news is absolutely h.o.r.r.i.b.l.e for me! I`m going to watch the Raptors against the Knicks in Montreal on october 22nd and if he's not playing that would really suck. Anyways, I really hope he will recover before the season starts. We really need a player like him. He's the Raptors future and he's part of the young guns. He's a great defender and had amazing blocks in the summer league. Hope this recovery won't take too long because Raptors will miss him. 6 weeks is a little bit too long but if you guys say great news that means he was supposed to say longer on the recovery. Great News then. But as bena2005 said, it sucks that we can't see him at the preseason game. I really wanted to see him! I'm going to watch the Knicks Vs the Raptors in Montreal on October 22nd and I don't think he'll be able to play