Eagles name Vick starting QB

Lkr

In a surprise move, the Philadelphia Eagles named Michael Vick their starting quarterback on Tuesday evening.

The move comes one day after coach Andy Reid insisted that he would return Kevin Kolb, knocked out with a concussion in Week 1, to the starter's role.

Vick led the Eagles to a 35-32 win on Sunday in Detroit, his first start since 2006 before he served a 20-month sentence for a federal dogfighting conviction. He was 21-for-34 for 284 yards with two TD passes. The previous week, he rallied the Eagles from a 20-3 deficit with more 175 yards passing and 103 yards rushing in a 27-20 loss to the Packers.

Link

• Owner

Changing my stance on this...

He earned it. I could really care less what happens with the Eagles, but there's no doubt he proved he's a starter in the league. Just two games, but it doesn't take much to see how valuable he is.

Mentioned this in the Eagles thread a little while ago <_<

I really think the fact that the Cowboys are 0-2 and the other two division teams look shaky as hell is why this is happening. Vick is clearly more of a sure thing, the "win-now" guy (even though I think he is incredibly overrated), so I guess they are going for it this season.

Interested to hear Andy's comments on this. This goes against basically every organizational philosophy they have ever had, and I really do not agree with it at all.

Edited by Phightins

I love Vick, always was a fan of his game, but this is completely stupid on so many levels.

They traded away McNabb for one reason, TO GET YOUNGER and build a good base for this franchise. Everything was planned out, they had their young up and coming stars at the two WR positions in Maclin and Jackson, they had their young QB poised to be the face of the franchise for years to come in Kolb, and had a good young back in LeSean McCoy. Now all of a sudden they lose faith in Kolb and go with the older Vick? For what? They may have their eyes set on the playoffs (it's not far fetched either), but they won't win the Super Bowl, I'm almost sure of that. They completely halted their rebuilding process for reasons I cannot wrap my head around.

The Eagles had traded McNabb because they thought he took them as far as they were going to go with him being the leader, and that he was incapable of delivering a Super Bowl to Philly. They traded him because they wanted a fresh start.

And now they're going to go to Mike Vick? Get real. That's minute-to-minute managing.

I won't even say they were right about McNabb, or right about Kolb, but how about some consistency in your decision making habits?

• Like 1

The receivers the Eagles have in Maclin and Jackson fit Vick's game perfectly. He doesn't have to air it out to them long but instead he can throw it to them 10-15 yards downfield and let them do the rest. Perfect example is the touchdown to Jackson he threw. He gives them a whole other dimension and looks like he's taken charge of the offense.

I love Vick, always was a fan of his game, but this is completely stupid on so many levels.

They traded away McNabb for one reason, TO GET YOUNGER and build a good base for this franchise. Everything was planned out, they had their young up and coming stars at the two WR positions in Maclin and Jackson, they had their young QB poised to be the face of the franchise for years to come in Kolb, and had a good young back in LeSean McCoy. Now all of a sudden they lose faith in Kolb and go with the older Vick? For what? They may have their eyes set on the playoffs (it's not far fetched either), but they won't win the Super Bowl, I'm almost sure of that. They completely halted their rebuilding process for reasons I cannot wrap my head around.

The Eagles had traded McNabb because they thought he took them as far as they were going to go with him being the leader, and that he was incapable of delivering a Super Bowl to Philly. They traded him because they wanted a fresh start.

And now they're going to go to Mike Vick? Get real. That's minute-to-minute managing.

I won't even say they were right about McNabb, or right about Kolb, but how about some consistency in your decision making habits?

This.

The receivers the Eagles have in Maclin and Jackson fit Vick's game perfectly. He doesn't have to air it out to them long but instead he can throw it to them 10-15 yards downfield and let them do the rest. Perfect example is the touchdown to Jackson he threw. He gives them a whole other dimension and looks like he's taken charge of the offense.

I agree, but at the same time, how can we be so sure Kolb can't complement those two receivers just as good as Vick does? At first I hated Kolb just because of the hype he got from Eagles fans, but now I hope he leaves Philly and proves himself to the league. He deserves a real shot, not 1/2 of a week 1 game where players are adjusting back to the regular season.

It's definitely not smart for their future, but why do I get the feeling people think Kolb is going to turn into Drew Brees?

I don't think anyone is expecting that, hell I don't even think he will anything special, but you traded away arguably the greatest QB in the history of your franchise who has a lot left in the tank just so you can start this guy and let him take over.

It's definitely not smart for their future, but why do I get the feeling people think Kolb is going to turn into Drew Brees?

I think that as a whole, Philadelphia fans are super knee-jerk reactionists. Kolb lights up KC and New Orleans last year, and everyone is stoked for his "era' to begin. Then he sucks against Green Bay, and Vick plays well in a game and a half, and look what you have.

And this is absolutely horrendous from a business standpoint, based on the 3-year process that has led to this point.

Also, just throwing this out there, I despise 99.9% of Philadelphia sports fans. There, I said it.

I agree, but at the same time, how can we be so sure Kolb can't complement those two receivers just as good as Vick does? At first I hated Kolb just because of the hype he got from Eagles fans, but now I hope he leaves Philly and proves himself to the league. He deserves a real shot, not 1/2 of a week 1 game where players are adjusting back to the regular season.

I think Vick proved it already and he adds a whole other dimension with his legs. Let's not forget, he's got his legs back and they aren't as used up because of the 2 years he spend in jail. He can still fly.

If he wins next week, then there's going to be a serious debate because then they are gonna be forced into making a decision.

• Owner

I don't think anyone is expecting that, hell I don't even think he will anything special, but you traded away arguably the greatest QB in the history of your franchise who has a lot left in the tank just so you can start this guy and let him take over.

I think that as a whole, Philadelphia fans are super knee-jerk reactionists. Kolb lights up KC and New Orleans last year, and everyone is stoked for his "era' to begin. Then he sucks against Green Bay, and Vick plays well in a game and a half, and look what you have.

And this is absolutely horrendous from a business standpoint, based on the 3-year process that has led to this point.

Also, just throwing this out there, I despise 99.9% of Philadelphia sports fans. There, I said it.

Well, Al Davis and his "win now" attitude worked up until he went away from it, and he eventually saw something in JaMarcus Russell. Stayed with him, gave him the big bucks, and figured he could ride him back into the sunset.

For me, Kolb never proved anything for the club to toss McNabb aside (as much as I hate Donovan) and to give Kolb the guns. From a business standpoint, sure, it's smart to stick with Kolb...but you play to win in professional sports. I wonder how many thought Larry Johnson was going to rip the league apart, or what LT was going to do to the NFL after he cashed in.

Kolb is a decent QB, but I have yet to see anything from him that tells me he's a franchise QB. Two different things. When a decent QB falls to injury, and a former star comes in to take his place AND that star plays the way Vick has, compliments the players well, etc...you have to do what's best for the current team.

Maybe Kolb is having trouble getting back on the practice field...who knows. But Vick definitely deserves the start.

Well, Al Davis and his "win now" attitude worked up until he went away from it, and he eventually saw something in JaMarcus Russell. Stayed with him, gave him the big bucks, and figured he could ride him back into the sunset.

For me, Kolb never proved anything for the club to toss McNabb aside (as much as I hate Donovan) and to give Kolb the guns. From a business standpoint, sure, it's smart to stick with Kolb...but you play to win in professional sports. I wonder how many thought Larry Johnson was going to rip the league apart, or what LT was going to do to the NFL after he cashed in.

Kolb is a decent QB, but I have yet to see anything from him that tells me he's a franchise QB. Two different things. When a decent QB falls to injury, and a former star comes in to take his place AND that star plays the way Vick has, compliments the players well, etc...you have to do what's best for the current team.

Maybe Kolb is having trouble getting back on the practice field...who knows. But Vick definitely deserves the start.

Well, I think the issue is that he hasn't been given a chance to prove himself. I think everyone knows what we have in Vick, and nobody knows what we have in Kolb. This year was supposed to be the chance for him to prove himself, and after one poor half, that plan seems to have been tossed aside.

Also, I am sure the o-line struggles contributed a lot to this. Vick is obviously much more mobile. Andy Reid said this decision is not health related, and Kevin is healthy.

Edited by Phightins

I think the issue is that he hasn't been given a chance to prove himself.

He did, and he came out and stunk it up big time. The NFL is a cut-throat, win-now league. It's not like the NBA where teams do a lot of planning for the future. Vick came out and has had 2 great outings. You gotta go with him at this point especially a for coach on the hot seat.

• Owner

Well, I think the issue is that he hasn't been given a chance to prove himself. I think everyone knows what we have in Vick, and nobody knows what we have in Kolb. This year was supposed to be the chance for him to prove himself, and after one poor half, that plan seems to have been tossed aside.

Also, I am sure the o-line struggles contributed a lot to this. Vick is obviously much more mobile. Andy Reid said this decision is not health related, and Kevin is healthy.

I actually didn't hear Reid's explanation (or read, or Reid) what he said just yet, so...hmm.

Vick's mobility is a big stepping stone on their road to the playoffs, and I think that's what separates the two QB's the most.

So it sounds like it comes down to the sure thing, or the question mark.

He did, and he came out and stunk it up big time. The NFL is a cut-throat, win-now league. It's not like the NBA where teams do a lot of planning for the future. Vick came out and has had 2 great outings. You gotta go with him at this point especially a for coach on the hot seat.

I disagree completely. He played one half against a very good defense, that is in no way ample time to prove himself. Sure, the NFL is a results-oriented league, I get that. But this is a transition year for the Eagles. This is not a "lets throw all the chips in and make our run this year" type of season. The average age on this team is 25 or something crazy like that. The primary purpose of this season was to evaluate lots of their young, unproven players, with Kolb being at the top of that list. As I mentioned earlier, I am sure the struggles of the rest of the division influenced this. Andy probably realized that this division is there for the taking, so he might as well go with the more proven QB, even if that potentially disrupts the future (and even if the replacement QB is the incredibly overrated Michael Vick).

• Owner

I don't see how Vick is overrated. The only person I've seen swinging from his jock in the media is Steven A. Smith. He's still got his legs, and he's not overthrowing his receivers 10+ yards, like many said he was going to do this season.

I don't see how Vick is overrated. The only person I've seen swinging from his jock in the media is Steven A. Smith. He's still got his legs, and he's not overthrowing his receivers 10+ yards, like many said he was going to do this season.

I dunno, even in his prime I didn't think he was all he was hyped up to be. He has the legs (still, apparently), but his QB skills leave a lot to be desired, which might be an issue in this offense long term. Save for his one career year (2003, I think?) he has always had average passing numbers, questionable accuracy, terrible TD/INT ratio, etc. Obviously, there's a lot of people on here who know way more football than I do, so maybe I am wrong (obviously hoping I am wrong in this case).

You must not watch the pre/post game shows with Irvin and them. They LOVE them some Mike Vick.

Kolb hasn't proven anything in this league to me, and that's exactly why I'm supporting him. You don't start a former star over the supposed new Franchise guy, you just don't. What is the point? If this is the direction they are going, what was the point in drafting Kolb when Donovan was clearly on top of his game (or close to it)? What is the point in grooming Kolb all those years for this exact moment? If they really wanted to win, we all knew Donovan was the answer. Donovan is still and always has been better than Vick, so why change your mentality now because Vick played a terrible Lions team (without Stafford) and an unprepared Packer defense? I'm not taking anything away from Vick, because as I said, I love his game and am glad he's back to his former self, but he hasn't proven enough for me to label him as the deserving starter in Philly.

He was good enough to get into the playoffs and beat the teams with a slow defense. Once they ran into a team that had a fast enough defense to contain his running he would show how terrible of a pure QB he really is. If this is their idea of a win now mentality, then I can assure you they won't beat that Packer defense, or the Saints for that matter.

Now that he's lost a step or 2 it's becoming less of an issue every year. I watched the Eagles-Lions game and he was still making plenty of dumb decisions - the Lions just never capitalized on some of his dumb throws.

Let me also point out that Reid is walking on a fine line right now. I don't think he ever supported traded Donovan, but the only reason the deal went down is because the front office thought it was best to go with young talent. Now he's reverting back to that winning mentality, and it could cost him.

Yeah you play to win, but there must be a strategy in place years before you begin to contend for a Super Bowl. It just doesn't happen in 2 weeks unless you get a big time player. Chances are, they won't be winning the division, or at least that's my best bet.

Oh yeah, I'm adding Donovan to the list of DC athletes you hate. ;)