Keith Smart and Curry on Dorell Wright's role

Poe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh2v7wZdAUs&feature=sub

Keith Smart: "He has some toughness. He's played in a very structured and solid environment. So that's going to lend itself to what we're trying to accomplish. I'm going to give him more opportunities than he had in the past."

Stephen Curry: "[Wright] is a skilled guy. In Miami he didn't get a chance to use his skills the way I saw this week playing in pick up games. He can handle the ball, he can pass, and can definitely shoot the ball. He's a great defender."

Break out year?

I see him sharing equal minutes with Reggie Williams, so no.

Keith values Wright's defensive mentality and size on the perimeter too much to give him the same minutes as Reggie Williams. Plus Dorell is versatile enough to play up to 4 different positions, so if both Reggie and Wright play well enough, I'm sure he can find playing time for both players.

Wouldn't count on it.

I wouldn't count on him not to.

In Miami, Spoelstra used him almost strictly as a defender, a spot up shooter, and in general a player that feeds off of Wade's game. He also played in a much lower tempo team and a more structured offensive system that restricted what he was allowed to do in the offense.

As well as a guy who will feed off of Curry and Ellis with his high percentage spot-up shooting and timely cuts, Keith Smart plans to use Wright as a playmaker. Since both Stephen Curry and Monta Ellis are both scorer-minded players, I can see Wright playing as a point forward much more often than he did for the Heat.

I expect his assist average to go much higher up, as well as his scoring and rebounding from the extra playing time and the extra possessions that comes with playing in an uptempo system. I fully expect him to be an MIP candidate. I've been waiting for this breakthrough for 6 years.

Edited by Poe

I can really see Wright getting quite a few minutes this season for sure. his defense and versatility is great, he shoots well, is a great ball handler and passer as well so i can see him eating up more minutes than Reggie Williams. i can really see him being a point forward and feeding the ball to Curry and Ellis for some easy dimes as well being that both Ellis and Curry have a scoring mentality. I hope this is his year.

I think this could very well be Wright's year that he's been waiting for. He finally gets the minutes he's been seeking and we all know the potential is there for him to break out. I can definitely see him in the running for MIPY this season. I'm actually eager to see this Warriors team of Curry, Ellis, Wright, Lee, and Biedrins playing and gelling together.

• 7 months later...