WNBA; Let them dunk?

At a women's basketball summit, the idea of lowering baskets was discussed.

"There were a lot of topics covered,'' said USA Basketball past president Val Ackerman, who helped spearhead the conference. "There was talk about lowering the rims. The notion is that no one in women's basketball has experimented in a serious way. It's something that might enhance the game, leading to dunking, fewer missed shots.''

at first i thought of it to be a bit of a knock against women, but then i read "leading to dunking"

hell yea, what a brilliant idea but how low would it need to go :unsure: 8 ft?

This was not a suggestion for the WNBA, but for FIBA. The title is misleading.

I don't understand the suggestion. It almost sounds like something the Onion would report. I hardly watch FIBA though, men or women, so it doesn't make that much of a difference to me anyway. I still disagree with it.

This was not a suggestion for the WNBA, but for FIBA. The title is misleading.

I don't understand the suggestion. It almost sounds like something the Onion would report. I hardly watch FIBA though, men or women, so it doesn't make that much of a difference to me anyway. I still disagree with it.

but doesn't wnba follow fiba rules?

Edited by MoeRoadKill

Not true at all. I can almost grab the rim at 8.5' standing, so unless they have literally a 3 inch vertical, they could dunk on a 8.5' rim.

Really? John Wall has a standing reach of 8'5'', and he's 6'4'' with a 6'10'' wingspan. The average WNBA player is about 6'0'' on the dot.

Anyway, I kind of like the idea of lowering the height of the rim, maybe to about 9'6''. I think it would not only help players in the WNBA/FIBA, but also in leagues at the lower levels. It would definitely give them a big advantage over the current 10' rim, and possibly make the game more exciting.

If using a smaller ball is acceptable, why can't a lower rim be as well?

Really? John Wall has a standing reach of 8'5'', and he's 6'4'' with a 6'10'' wingspan. The average WNBA player is about 6'0'' on the dot.

Anyway, I kind of like the idea of lowering the height of the rim, maybe to about 9'6''. I think it would not only help players in the WNBA/FIBA, but also in leagues at the lower levels. It would definitely give them a big advantage over the current 10' rim, and possibly make the game more exciting.

If using a smaller ball is acceptable, why can't a lower rim be as well?

I mean like tip-toes grab. I don't mean flat footed fully palm the rim grab haha