Arenas fakes an injury

Wizards guard Gilbert Arenas sat out the team's preseason game against the Hawks on Tuesday night with a knee injury.

"His knee is acting up and is a little sore, and it looks like he's going to sit this one out," coach Flip Saunders said before the game.

However, after the game Arenas claimed that he wasn't as injured as it seemed.

"I told [Nick Young] I'd sacrifice playing tonight so he can get some time in because I know he's kind of frustrated he's not getting a chance to crack the [small forward] position, especially since we're going three guards," Arenas said with a smile.

"So I told him I'll go and fake an injury or say something's wrong with me so you can start."

Read more: http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/69539/20101013/arenas_sits_with_sore_knee_later_claims_injury_was_fake/#ixzz12G8uiP2n

I understand why Gil did this and totally support the reasoning behind it, but it probably was a little stupid the way he went about the situation. I love the fact that he's trusting his teammates more and has confidence in Nick Young (who needs to have a great year if he wants an extension from us when the year ends). Maybe it would have been best if he had never admitted to this and claimed he was actually hurt.

What an idiot, do him and LBJ have the same PR reps? As the best player on the team, or most accomplished, I am sure if he approached Flip and told him to get Nick some run, he would have probably obliged.... the thought was there, but if this is true then smh, at least he's trying I guess.

• Owner

I have a problem with it, because Arenas should want to see as much time on the court as he can with John Wall. Developing chemistry is more important than putting Nick Young out on the floor, sorry to say it. Gilbert is going to have to change the way he plays, and it's best he starts doing that in the preseason, not in November. Not only will stuff like that hurt the team, but it will also slow down Wall's development as a top-tier point guard in the league.

Arenas is not getting paid to coach the team...he's getting paid to play. If Flip wants him out there, then there's certainly a reason for it. He should've just played.

Here's what Gil had to say at practice today. Credit goes to Bullets Nation:

The knee was not sore?

I was trying to be a good teammate. Y'know Nick wanted to play. Since we are guard loaded I thought I would take the day off and I lied to coach and told him my knee was sore so that Nick can play.

How did coach take that?

Obviously, no one has taken it well...I was just trying to help out Nick. Get some playing time under his belt. I screwed up again, I just want to say sorry.

Was there a better way to do it?

In hindsight now I would say yes. I wasn't thinking this would be another media outburst. Everything that I do now is someone tit for tat trying to blow it out of proportion. Y'now at the end of the day Nick is happy. He got to play, got to show that he can play. And I'm out here taking all the heat again.

If I wouldn't of made any comments, you guys wouldn't have known. Let's just say I blew it. It's like you guys want somebody honest but you don't want somebody honest. I screwed up again. I practice, I play hard.

Will you go back to not talking again?

It's alright, you guys gotta do your job. It's not right that that you guys are nitpicking everything I do. But you gotta a job to do, and I've gotta job to do.

I agree with everything he said.

If you want to read about what Nick Young and Flip Saunders had to say regarding all this, go Here

He could have just asked the coach about whether Young can play more in the pre-season...to fake an injury is a rather extreme way in achieving that.

I guess this enables Arenas to get traded more quickly, however.