Bill Simmons compares Evan Turner to Adam Morrison

Can't believe I didn't see this when I had posted it earlier...but I guess I'll post it here to generate more discussion.

I thought Evan Turner would be a good pro. Not great … but good. I never thought he would be a bust. But when you talk to NBA people, they keep lobbing red flags in the air about him. Bad body language, a step slow, doesn't really have a position, bad fit with Iguodala, Doug Collins already hates him. … I taped Tuesday's Celts-Sixers game, zoomed through it and was taken aback. That's Evan Turner? The kid I watched on Ohio State last year? He seemed like an Adam Morrison-esque mess. Now I need to see him in person for an official verdict. Either way, Cousins will haunt the Sixers this season. That's a lock.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmonsnfl2010/101015&sportCat=nba

Turner responds on Twitter by saying:

lol someone just compared me to adam morrison lmao..wowww

Does anyone see any logic behind Bill Simmons comparison? I really like Simmons, but wow... Turner is much more skilled than Morrison. He's not only a terrific scorer, but a great playmaker.

He said he looked like Adam Morrison during that game and judging from his stats I don't see anything wrong with that comparison.

Well, the stats are from summer league and preseason. Since when are they a decent indicator of anything? I mean, Evan may be a bust, who knows. I just think it is wayyyyyy way way too soon to break out the Adam Morrison comparisons.

Edited by Phightins

• Owner

Actually, he's comparing Turner to Morrison as bust material...and in regards to both being incredible college players that have skills not translating to the pros.

He would've said Kwame, but Brown is a center that skipped college.

Judging on his play so far, the comparison is legit...but, personally, I wouldn't be quick to make that judgment just yet, either way.

Well, the stats are from summer league and preseason. Since when are they a decent indicator of anything? I mean, Evan may be a bust, who knows. I just think it is wayyyyyy way way too soon to break out the Adam Morrison comparisons.

I think all he's saying is that from the one game he watched Turner play, he looked pretty damn bad out there.

I think all he's saying is that from the one game he watched Turner play, he looked pretty damn bad out there.

Well, that would be very typical of Simmons to make such a harsh judgement based on one game!

Anyway, I see where you all are coming from. I am basically with Real Deal. The signs may not be great right now, but it is way too early to judge either way.

I'm starting to consider Evan Turner a bust now even though previously I considered him a NBA-ready player. I'm not sure if over time he is going to adapt but I definitely see that he isn't all that he was suppose to turn out to be. Comparing him to Adam Morrison though is absurd.

Does anyone see any logic behind Bill Simmons comparison? I really like Simmons, but wow... Turner is much more skilled than Morrison. He's not only a terrific scorer, but a great playmaker.

I'm not taking a stance either way on this, as I haven't seen Turner play yet... But Morrison was outrageously productive in college, one of the sickest/smoothest strokes I've seen in a while and could score with four hands in his face. Just went to [expletive] via injuries and a game that hasn't translated.

Although I must say....it would be sooooo so typical of the Sixers to finally get a top pick and have him wind up being a total bust. My fingers are certainly crossed that this doesn't happen, but it would be very Sixers-y.

This surprised me a lot when I read it as well. Morrison was a great college player, but he never did all the things that Turner did for Ohio State. Morrison was basically just a flat out scorer, while Turner on the other hand, was putting up double doubles almost every night, and sometimes threatening triple-doubles. I strongly disagree with Bill Simmons, here and I think Turner is going to turn into a very good starter in the NBA, if not a star.