Paul George: Is He the Real Deal?

"With the 10th pick, in the 2010 NBA Draft, the Indiana Pacers select....Paul George."

Right after those words were spoken, there was a lot of mixed reaction from both Pacers fans, as well as NBA fans. Was Paul George a reach at #10? Some mock drafts had him going at #7 to Golden State, others had him falling to the late 20's, but he ended up at #10 with the Indiana Pacers.

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/2010+NBA+Draft+UYNRzPoxqtqm.jpg

With the re-building process that the Pacers are currently going through, they really need some big pickups in the draft. They drafted King George on potential, and man does he ever have a lot of potential. Many people are comparing him to a young Tracy McGrady, and rightfully so. He's very athletic, plays good defense, lights out shooter (when not rushing his shot), and he's also a very smart basketball player. His athleticism allows him to jump out of the gym for rebounds, and also jump into the passing lanes for steals.

All that being said, it comes down to this. Is Paul George the real deal for the Pacers? Or is he just going to be another bust of a first round pick for Indiana?

Thoughts?

• Owner

Well, he's struggling right now. A lot of people figured he would start showing how good he could potentially be right out of the gates, but so far, it's not really anything to be excited about.

I just hope, for the team's sake, that if George becomes a decent player, the Pacers don't move Granger up to the power forward slot more than they did last season, and then settle. Both Granger and George are capable of playing the two, Paul more than Danny.

If Indiana wants to make some real noise, it'll depend on how they play those two in the lineup, and how well George plays to begin with. Then they can focus on the four, because I don't believe Hansbrough or McRoberts should be starting.

Give him a few years, though. He's an all-star if he becomes more of an aggressor on the offensive end. I have a feeling Indiana will be choosing one or the other, though, and Granger just keeps getting hurt, shoots a low percentage, and doesn't really pass the ball much.

Well, he's struggling right now. A lot of people figured he would start showing how good he could potentially be right out of the gates, but so far, it's not really anything to be excited about.

I just hope, for the team's sake, that if George becomes a decent player, the Pacers don't move Granger up to the power forward slot more than they did last season, and then settle. Both Granger and George are capable of playing the two, Paul more than Danny.

If Indiana wants to make some real noise, it'll depend on how they play those two in the lineup, and how well George plays to begin with. Then they can focus on the four, because I don't believe Hansbrough or McRoberts should be starting.

Give him a few years, though. He's an all-star if he becomes more of an aggressor on the offensive end. I have a feeling Indiana will be choosing one or the other, though, and Granger just keeps getting hurt, shoots a low percentage, and doesn't really pass the ball much.

He has been struggling so far yes, but the reason is because he hadn't started slowing himself down. In the last two games he has been, and it's worked for him. The shooting percentages are not extremely high, but he's been putting up good all-around numbers.

I'm too lazy to get his numbers from two games ago, but last game vs. Minny here are his numbers.

17 Points, 5 Rebounds, 6-11 FGM-A, 5-9 3PM-A, 0-2 FTM-A, and this was in 26 minutes.

He should have scored 19 points, but missed the free throws. So as I was saying, if he slows himself down and focuses on making the shot rather than just getting the shot up, he'll be fine. In all honesty he reminds me of Brandon Rush (God help us), because when his confidence is up, he's played great, but he doesn't have the confidence all the time. Hopefully he learns how to control his confidence, and he can step in this year and contribute.

The whole goal with George however, is for him to come into himself completely next season. We have some cash via free agency to sign a good power forward, and having George at complete talent, with Granger, Collison, Hibbert, Hansbrough, and maybe a guy like Al Horford would be a contending team. At least those are my thoughts on this subject.

• 2 weeks later...

Well in his first two games, here are his stats:

vs. Spurs: 4 Points, 2 Assists, 3 Rebounds, 1 Block, 2 Steals, 1-5 FGM-A, 0-3 3PM-A, 2-2 FTM-A.

vs. Bobcats: 8 Points, 2 Assists, 3 Rebounds, 1 Block, 0 Steals, 3-6 FGM-A, 2-4 3PM-A.

What do you guys think through his first two games? Shooting could be a lot better, but against Charlotte he had a very solid game off the bench for us.

• Owner

Well in his first two games, here are his stats:

vs. Spurs: 4 Points, 2 Assists, 3 Rebounds, 1 Block, 2 Steals, 1-5 FGM-A, 0-3 3PM-A, 2-2 FTM-A.

vs. Bobcats: 8 Points, 2 Assists, 3 Rebounds, 1 Block, 0 Steals, 3-6 FGM-A, 2-4 3PM-A.

What do you guys think through his first two games? Shooting could be a lot better, but against Charlotte he had a very solid game off the bench for us.

Just not good enough to start YET. He wasn't playing that great, defensively...picked up a couple of dumb fouls. I didn't see the Spurs game, but against Charlotte, he fed off of Granger's hot hand from outside, since Charlotte was panicking and defending the perimeter more and more throughout the game. Basically, he did what Dunleavy failed to do (seemed like Mike missed almost every shot he took), so it's a good sign...but I'm not going to overrate him OR dismiss the performance altogether.

Does that mean that George is the fake deal?

No, it means he's the fake Real Deal. I think.