Roy or Durant

Check my Stats

Who is currently the better player?

Lakers guard Kobe Bryant was asked on the John Thompson Show who he feels is the toughest opponent to guard in the NBA.

Instead of picking Oklahoma City's Kevin Durant, Bryant went with Portland's Brandon Roy.

"Roy 365 days, seven days a week. Roy has no weaknesses in his game," Bryant said.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/69731/20101023/kobe_says_roy_is_toughest_opponent_to_guard/#ixzz13Do0FGGB

I am talking overall player here guys.

I'm still taking KD. Better scorer, rebounder and IIRC is more efficient, especially from the FT line. I think after this season it'll be obvious that Durant is the better overall player.

Durant is the much better scorer but overall, I'm gonna say Brandon Roy. He is a very clutch player, can dish the ball for the open player, is much more athletic than people give him credit for, very deceitful. He somehow finds a way to score in the tightest circumstances given to him. I would take Roy with no questions asked. Maybe it's because I'm biased, oh well.

And before Artest came to LA, Kobe was usually guarding Roy, Pierce, LeBron, McGrady, Johnson, Allen (back during the SEA days), etc. He would take the assignment of the team's best SG/SF because he's such a great defender.

Kobe said Roy is more difficult to guard because he's so polished and has it all in his arsenal. It's the same principle as to why people think Kobe would beat LeBron in a 1-on-1 scenario.

With that said, Durant's the better player. Roy is more versatile (especially with his playmaking) and polished, but it doesn't translate to him being the more effective/dominant player. Durant is a 30PPG scorer who scores at incredible efficiency, capable of putting his team on his back night-in, night-out. Roy can give you a solid 20PPG with the occasional scoring outburst, 5-6 assists, and play smart, consistent basketball...but he just doesn't have the ability to dominate games nearly as often as Durant. And besides playmaking where Roy has a big edge, Durant is the better rebounder, probably a better defender already, and it's always nice to have a 6'10'' frame with a 7'5'' wingspan at the SF spot.

• Like 1

why does it say "Instead of picking Oklahoma City's Kevin Durant, Bryant went with Portland's Brandon Roy."

obviously i didnt watch the show im just wondering why kevins name popped up? unless of course the host asked "why not Kevin" but then again what about wade, Lebron, melo?

probably biased but i would take KD

If I were starting a franchise, I'll take KD... but say if KD had been taken, and my team had to "settle" with Roy, I'd still be happy.

A healthy Roy can dominate games... he doesn't dominate statistically, but he wills his teams to wins... does the right plays at the right place, right time... and is just as dangerous as any NBA "superstar".

A healthy Roy can dominate games... he doesn't dominate statistically, but he wills his teams to wins... does the right plays at the right place, right time... and is just as dangerous as any NBA "superstar".

I disagree. I know you said he doesn't dominate statistically, but check this stat out- Last season, in 65 games, Roy scored over 30pts only 7x. To compare, in 82 games Durant had 47 games where he scored more than 30pts. That stat is a prime example of what I tried to get through in my first post that Roy is a great, smart and consistent ballplayer, but he just doesn't have the capablity to dominate and take over games on a consistent basis.

Now let's compare Roy to a player who averaged almost identical numbers; Joe Johnson. In 76 games, Johnson had 11 games of 30+ points, and 12 games of 8+ assists (Roy had 5 games). We can go a bit further back and compare him to 2007-2008 T-Mac, who played 66 games and had 15 games of 30+ points, and 19 games of 8+ assists.

Yet, if someone said either current $JJ or 07-08 T-Mac was better than Durant, they'd probably be considered delusional. It's just that people have a love affair with Roy and severely overrate his impact. He's a great player, but not on Durant's level.

Actually, Brandon Roy is a superstar in the NBA. He's the 3rd best SG in the league behind Kobe and Wade. To say that people OVERRATE Brandon Roy is a bit much. To say that Roy doesn't have the "capability" to dominate and take over games on a consistent basis is a bit much as well. Brandon Roy is easily one the best players in the league. The poise he shows, the maturity he has, is amazing. Brandon Roy has made the All-Star team three straight years (starting with his Sophomore year) and is only going to be getting better.

Like I said, Durant is a better pure scorer, a better rebounder, is able to defend a more range of players due to his long wingspan but I would take Roy over Durant in a heartbeat if I'm building a team around a player. Maybe it's just because I'm biased, which is probably the case. At least I'm willing to admit it, lol.

Actually, Brandon Roy is a superstar in the NBA.

Tell me why he deserves to be in the same breath as Kobe, LeBron, Wade, CP3, Dwight, Durant, Melo, Dirk, Williams and Nash. Those are the true superstars in the league IMO. All those guys are better in the stat department, most of them have taken their teams deep into the post-season as #1 options, and have proven more capability of truly playing dominant basketball.

To say that Roy doesn't have the "capability" to dominate and take over games on a consistent basis is a bit much as well.

Prove to me he does have the capabilities. The stats and what I see with my own eyes says otherwise.

Brandon Roy has made the All-Star team three straight years (starting with his Sophomore year) and is only going to be getting better.

He's around 26 years old, so don't expect much more than what we've already see for him. He's like Elton Brand in the sense that he came into the NBA VERY NBA-ready, but his ceiling isn't much higher than what he is already at.

but I would take Roy over Durant in a heartbeat

Why? If Durant scores more on better efficiency, is more capable of having huge scoring outbursts that can single-handedly win his team a game, is a better rebounder, a better defender AND is about 5 years younger that has shown more consistent improvements since he was drafted...what's the logic for taking Roy?

Ron Artest also said Roy was the best player he's ever went up against.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk6NM8HRyks#ws

You can tell Kobe actively looks for weaknesses in the guy he's guarding. Nobody gives Rondo as much room to shoot as Kobe does. With Durant, he probably finds that you need to be physical with him. With Roy.. he doesn't know what he should do and maybe that's why he finds him the toughest to guard.

Durant's got that explosiveness and talent to put up absurd numbers (in a good way) and go on freakish scoring tears. But its tough to deny Roy's composure, efficiency and all around game.

With that said, if I had to build around a player, its Durant. At that size, and that ability, its impossible to pass him up, unless its up against Lebron.

why isn't this a "Durant or LBJ" post?

Durant has things on Roy that you can't teach. Such as size and reach. Being physically gifted doesn't necessarily MAKE the player, but with Durants physical attributes, determination to win and his skill set which allows him to get any shot he wants at any point in the game... id have to take him over Roy.

Edited by N.1.A.K.