Guys, I need your help to record NBA games

Erick Blasco

Hey everybody,

I'm thinking of doing a lot more video work on the NBA (sort of like what I did last year, but more), except I have a small problem. I'm not living at home anymore and I'm now living in a dorm where the cable is provided by the dorm through a coaxial (spelling?) cable.

Since my DVD recorder doesn't have a tuner, I can't record the games from my dorm. My Recorder apparently needs a "set top box."

I'm also not free until Tuesday night thanks to class/work, but I want to get this ready for the NBA season.

My question is, how can I get to watch and burn games onto disks for future recording?

Can I buy a TV-tuner? How would that work?

Are their set-top boxes that are cheap and do nothing that I can install?

Is there any online service that would allow me to stream AND record games online?

Are there any DVD recorders that will work with a 2003 LCD Samsung TV?

I can also buy a new DVD recorder, but I'd need to buy and install a cheap TV.

What are my best options? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Hey everybody,

I'm thinking of doing a lot more video work on the NBA (sort of like what I did last year, but more), except I have a small problem. I'm not living at home anymore and I'm now living in a dorm where the cable is provided by the dorm through a coaxial (spelling?) cable.

Since my DVD recorder doesn't have a tuner, I can't record the games from my dorm. My Recorder apparently needs a "set top box."

I'm also not free until Tuesday night thanks to class/work, but I want to get this ready for the NBA season.

My question is, how can I get to watch and burn games onto disks for future recording?

Can I buy a TV-tuner? How would that work?

Are their set-top boxes that are cheap and do nothing that I can install?

Is there any online service that would allow me to stream AND record games online?

Are there any DVD recorders that will work with a 2003 LCD Samsung TV?

I can also buy a new DVD recorder, but I'd need to buy and install a cheap TV.

What are my best options? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

You can do what me the pro trutrojan do to record our videoes, what you would is buy the following

A)http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/S/Modula4.gif

B)http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/geek-to-me/assets_c/2010/01/Capture%20Card,%20The%20Dazzle-thumb-300x300-56082.jpg

C) http://www.salientdesigns.com/images/Mobile/Accessories/Premium%20A-V%20Cables%20Low.jpg

and an extra coaxil cable, 2 of these if you dont have 1 already, I'm going to assume you do

http://wonderlandelectronix.com/products/5ft.%20coaxial%20cable.jpg

Now when you have those 4 items this what you are going to do, you are going take A which is a simple RF to AV convert found at any electronics store and connect the coaxil cable going from the wall into the "in" part and then take the other coaxil cable and connect it from the "Out" part on the box to your tv, then you will take C and place one end of the cables into it's mate in the rf/av convert and then take the other end and stick them into B which is the only thing you will have trouble finding, probably will have to order one online. Once you stick C into B, B gets stuck into your computer and you should be good to go.

I AM NOT 100% SURE IF THIS WILL WORK, I will be back at school Tuesday and I will test it myself I am fairly (90%) it should work but I would allow me to test it before you blow 50 dollars on a capture card. If this does not work, the only think I think you could do is buy a cable box, if you are allowed to.

Okay, I'm technologically moronic and need to be taught like a six year old.

How exactly does this work in terms of my TV, my recorder, and my notebook? Right now it looks promising, but I have no idea how it works. Also, can I pick it up at a best buy, PC Richards, etc?

Okay, I'm technologically moronic and need to be taught like a six year old.

How exactly does this work in terms of my TV, my recorder, and my notebook? Right now it looks promising, but I have no idea how it works. Also, can I pick it up at a best buy, PC Richards, etc?

if you pick something up like this at a store, it will be more expensive, but yes, you will find a TV tuner there.

All you need to do is run the drivers CD and plug it in. Hook up the coaxial cable to the usb stick. Open the program that is included, or you can use Windows Media Center, and it will scan for all channels. Then you will have a program guide, and you can schedule all of your recordings and watch live TV on your computer(and of course record).

if you pick something up like this at a store, it will be more expensive, but yes, you will find a TV tuner there.

All you need to do is run the drivers CD and plug it in. Hook up the coaxial cable to the usb stick. Open the program that is included, or you can use Windows Media Center, and it will scan for all channels. Then you will have a program guide, and you can schedule all of your recordings and watch live TV on your computer(and of course record).

Wow, thank you so much, this is exactly what I need!

Your kindness will not go unrewarded.

Final question, is this something I can pick up at Best Buy?

I see this at Best Buy, this would be fine?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Hauppauge+-+TV+HD+Stick+USB+2.0+TV+Tuner+with+PVR/9234205.p?skuId=9234205&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=9234205&ref=06&loc=01&id=1218064151279

Edited by Erick Blasco

Wow, thank you so much, this is exactly what I need!

Your kindness will not go unrewarded.

Final question, is this something I can pick up at Best Buy?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Hauppauge+-+TV+HD+Stick+USB+2.0+TV+Tuner+with+PVR/9234205.p?id=1218064151279&skuId=9234205&st=hauppuage&cp=1&lp=1

It isn't the same model, but it is similar. It will work exactly the same. If you want to pay the extra to get it at the store, feel free, but Newegg works great :)

Its $80 vs $45(after rebate)

Edited by Lkr

http://www.bestbuy.c...puage&cp=1&lp=1

It isn't the same model, but it is similar. It will work exactly the same. If you want to pay the extra to get it at the store, feel free, but Newegg works great :)

Its $80 vs $45(after rebate)

There's a 24 hour best buy an hour away from me by Subway. I need the tuner by tuesday afternoon. I can wake up super early tomorrow and pick it up before I go to work! It all comes down to time. The NBA season starts on Tuesday and I want to see how Boston and Miami attack each other. I can't wait!!!!!

There's a 24 hour best buy an hour away from me by Subway. I need the tuner by tuesday afternoon. I can wake up super early tomorrow and pick it up before I go to work! It all comes down to time. The NBA season starts on Tuesday and I want to see how Boston and Miami attack each other. I can't wait!!!!!

well then go for it, just make sure its in stock there ahead of time

^Mine is a pay TV... also through coaxial cable like that. As long as his set top box has output it's cool :glasses:

If you read my post and the OP, you would know that he doesn't have an STB

Good to hear, Erick. If you need any help, just let me know