Blake Griffin: Hard Work Pays Off

As I was watching the Portland Trail Blazers vs. Los Angeles Clippers game last night, Blake Griffin stuck out to me. Obviously he stuck out to everyone since he's the 2009 NBA Draft #1 overall pick, but he impressed me with his play, and showed me a part of his game that I hadn't expected to see. Whenever a shot would go up, Griffin would be the first one taking off towards the rim for the offensive rebound.

Not only was his rebounding impressive, but his ability to handle the ball in the open court as well. I remember one play in particular, he grabbed a rebound, and because there were no outlets to a guard available, he took off down the middle of the court. Eric Gordon took off down the right side of the court, and Griffin handled the ball to the three point line, and made a perfect bounce pass between two defenders for the easy dunk for Gordon. Other than that, I noticed a few things about Griffin. He's a very smart defensive player, and is great at help defense. Not only on the defensive side of the ball does he have a great basketball mind, but he also has a smart basketball IQ on offense as well. I noticed that he was never standing still. The one thing in basketball that you cannot do, is stand still in the offense. Whether he had the ball, was making a cut for the ball, or simply moving to set a screen and roll possibility, Griffin was always doing something trying to help the offense work.

Those are just a few of the things that I noticed about Blake Griffin through his debut game. I'm really going to follow this guy after seeing the way he played tonight (and also because he's on my fantasy basketball team). Definitely a great first outing for him. The building was buzzing with fans, which was really good to see for the Clippers, and assuming they keep playing the way they were last night, they will continue to come out for the games. Did you guys see anything else about Griffin that you liked or disliked? I would love to hear what your guys' thoughts were on his first NBA game.

Thoughts?

First points in the NBA:

YouTube - [10/27/10] Blake Griffin dunk vs Blazers

He rebounded the ball well but his points were off alley oops, put-backs, similar to a Joakim Noah style of play.

I also heard the Clippers want to move him to the SF position and mold him after LeBron-esque? Any truth to those rumors?