Who should the Bulls start at Shooting Guard?

Pooh25

Who should the Bulls start at Shooting Guard?

Bogans:

- Spot up three point shot

- plays defense

JJ

- play-maker for Rose

- playing under-control

- excellent team defense and good man defense

Brewer

- defense and that's overrated.

Korver:

- shooter to give Rose spacing

- poor defensively

James Johnson has talent, but is too young and inexperienced.

Korver shoots great, but can't play defense.

Brewer defends well, but can't shoot.

Bogans shoots a little, defends a little, and has a little experience.

I pick Bogans.

This. Couldn't have said it better myself.

I wasn't watching too closely, but Bogans looked like he held his own against the Thunder. None of these guys can create their own shot, so Bogans is the safest as a starter, with the rest getting more minutes based on situations.

Does Bogans get paid more than Brewer?

I would start Brewer. He was a starter on the Jazz coached by Sloan. He brings it consistently.

First sub in is Korver with his scoring. Thib runs screen plays for him the way Celtics did for Ray Allen.

Bogans second sub, and James Johnson last...

Out of the bunch, James Johnson is the most intriguing. Kid got talent but I haven't followed him closely since pre-season... if he makes significant progress can easily leap to be the starter. But guy is a forward, not guard.

• Owner

It's not about starting the balanced player that doesn't do anything too well, it's about starting the player your five needs.

If you want an example of why that's so effective, you should look no further than the Lakers and Derek Fisher. Steve Blake is a better overall player today, but Blake will come off the bench because he's most effective running the second unit. Odom, who is a starter on every team in the league minus Boston, will eventually come off the bench because Drew is a physical, true center, and Odom is versatile enough to contribute everywhere on the floor (even though I think Drew should come off the bench, but that's for another discussion).

Right now, with Boozer out, you have...

C - Noah

PF - Gibson

SF - Deng

SG - ?

PG - Rose

Bogans starts, but the question is who should start, so I'll leave that empty.

Once Boozer returns, you'll lose a little defense, so it'll be ideal to have a bit of help from the perimeter.

How well does Rose defend at the point right now? Has he really improved his jumper? How well does Deng shoot? Those are things you also have to consider.

Deng is a good defensive player, not better than Noah, Gibson or Brewer, but he's no slouch. Rose's defense has improved slightly, but this is a guy who was one of the worst defenders on the team last year.

If I were coaching Chicago, I start Korver right now. Once Boozer returns, I throw in Brewer. That way, the Bulls bring in a shooter that can provide them with another 8-10 PPG on a high percentage, and when Boozer appears (and puts out his usual 18-20 a game), they can sacrifice offense in the starting five for a defensive-minded Brewer, bring Korver off the bench at the three with Gibson, Watson, Bogans and Scal, and run with that second unit.