Game Thread Suggestions

Pooh25

1) I think a game of the night would interest more people to post and that is usually the most hyped game, which people already want to post in it. We should sticky that thread in the game day section.

What do you guys think?

2) What do you think about a status bar saying the game is: Pre-Game/In Progess/Post-Game

Edited by TheBullsInsider

Not sure that's possible. And if it is, it will probably be more work than it's worth.

Ex:

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/2451/rsz.png

This is on vBulletin, I think IPB would most likely have it(Real Deal?)

• Owner

With all due respect, I think it's best we stick with the system we've had in place for five or six years now. I know other sites will do things differently, but that's their thing.

A game of the night would just be based on what I thought, and it would ignore half of the teams in the league to begin with. How many "game of the night" topics would include the Wizards, Wolves, Warriors, Raptors, Pistons, Pacers, Clippers, etc? The idea is to get people to post in those gameday topics, because all of the Lakers and Heat games will be active no matter what we do. If the Pistons payed the Kings, there's a chance it will have one or two posts total (later in the season). Would that actually be a game of the night candidate if it's on the same night as a Lakers/Heat match-up? Not a chance.

The game status prefix has to be controlled by the staff, somehow. They just don't automatically add to the topic once a game is over, unless the board is directly tied into NBA.com's database (or a similar site, like ESPN), and it reads that particular table entry (ex. Preview, 2nd QTR, or Final). Asking the staff to mark games as they end...I'm not really sure if it's worth the work, because that means they will need to monitor every game that night (and there are 13+ games on during some nights), instead of watching them and commenting on those that actually interest them. They'll be sitting there looking at boxscores, waiting for games to end.

To my knowledge, no message board has all 1200+ games available to post in by preseason. Other than RealGM and maybe ISH, no basketball board has produced the activity we have in those gameday topics. Few all-sports sites have matched it (can't think of one off the top of my head right now, actually).

If discussion hits a wall, I'll be looking into more ways to increase exposure, whatever needs to be done...but it's really dipping my hand into a recipe that has been effective for so many years now, so I really don't know if that's a smart move or not.

• Like 1

for the game status, i'm just not sure if its worth any effort. I'm sure it something could be coded based on time(for example, it will change to during game at 7:30, post game at 10:30), but it would take a lot of work for Brandon to not only do that and then go back and set the time for EACH game. i don't see benefit either. keep the ideas coming though