Does the tip off matter?

kingfish

I think its useless. One possession in basketball is pointless compared to a possession in football. So whoever wins the tip doesn't matter too much IMO, its just a cool way to start the game.

comparing who ges the ball in the 4th Q in bball to who gets the ball in the 2nd half in football isn't even close...

when the 1st half winds down there is always someone asking... "who gets the ball first at the start of the 2nd half"? you never get that question asked in basketball,.. "who gets the ball first in the 4th Q"? WTH?

the only time the jump ball matters to me is in overtime. scoring first and putting your opponent behind early in OT is important IMO.

Well, you never hear one of the keys to a game to "win the tip off", or an analysis of why a team lost by two including "had they won the tip off...". So I'm inclined to believe that it's really not that important at all and has very little impact on the outcome of a game. In the end, both teams get to start two quarters with the ball.

They decide who gets the ball first and it has always been that way so why change it?

I think it could play a slight role in momentum if you start off the 4th quarter quick, but it's just like any other possession.

I would say the overtime tipoff is quite important though.