Brewers New Manager: Ron Roenicke

BadgerFan

Here are some quotes about RR.

Tori Hunter:

“I’m disappointed he’s leaving,” Hunter said. “He’s a very intelligent man. He’s the guy I go to when I’m struggling.

“I’m upset, but it’s a great opportunity for him. He’s always wanted to be a manger. Those guys are going to like him.”

Hunter also said Roenicke is a great communicator with players and could be found wandering the outfield every day during batting practice, checking in with players and making sure they didn’t need to talk about anything weighing on their minds. One of the criticisms of former manager Ken Macha was that he sometimes had trouble communicating with his stars, Ryan Braun and Prince Fielder, and Macha admitted as much.

Hunter also praised Roenicke for being a smart baseball mind, the kind that is able to quickly pick up signals or tendencies or flaws in any player, including opponents, and relay them to his guys.

“He’s so smart,” Hunter said. “He picks up everything. Any signals or weaknesses he sees, and the next thing you know I know about it. He’s really helped me a lot.

“I definitely feel like he should be the guy to get this kind of shot. He won’t blow you out in front of everybody unless you need that. He’ll just call you into his office and tell you what needs to be said. He knows what he’s doing.

“He used to walk around the outfield and talk to everybody and see where their head is at. He’s never going to leave a guy behind and that’s what this team liked about him.”

Brian Anderson (Current Brewers TV announcer: Was Dodgers minor league TV announcer when RR was manager there)

"He's on the short list of most impressive people I've ever met," said Anderson. "I know that's a big statement and I don't say things like that about people very often but as far as character goes and what he knows about baseball, I couldn't have been more impressed.

"He's a baseball Tony Dungy. He's humble, a quiet leader, a great leader. He misses nothing. Every player who has every played for him loved him. He really believes in a team having one voice, in everybody being united for the same goal. Players buy into that. He treats people with respect and knows how to assess every situation.

"I'm not sure the Brewers really know what they've got just yet."

Joe Maddon:

"Maddon was particularly persuasive in his recommendation for Roenicke, lauding his ability to see things that others miss. The Brewers were told about Roenicke's ability to communicate with players, his focus on baserunning and outfield defense and his commitment to the Angels' aggressive style. Brewers officials want to see their own team return to that style of play after a more station-to-station approach under Macha for the past two seasons."

I'm willing to give this guy a chance, although I would much rather have had Joey Cora.

Does anyone know anything more about this guy? Good fit for the Brewers?