Roy Not Having Surgery Because There is Nothing to Repair

The reason Brandon Roy isn't having surgery on his left knee is that there's no meniscus left in either knee.

http://www.rotoworld.com/images/headshots/NBA/1256.jpg

Roy is far from in the clear since there is nothing left in his knees to repair. "Nah. None. Not in my right, either," Roy said Friday. There is no cartilage left to absorb the pounding associated with NBA play, and he could easily have to have the knee drained several more times this season (he's at two and counting). "The problem is bone-on-bone there," Roy said. "It's just something I'm going to have to deal with for the rest of my career." This is not a good situation for the young superstar, the Blazers or anyone else. Microfracture surgery is a real possibility at some point, but for now, Roy's just going to keep playing through the pain.

rotoworld

If I'm the Blazers this more than worries me. It's sounding to me like a Jonathan Bender type of thing, except not quite so advanced yet. When the Pacers drafted Bender, he had the potential to be a star in the NBA, but he didn't have any cartilage left in his knees, and he kept missing time, missing more time, and then finally he was forced to retire because of the pain. Roy sounds like he's in a ton of pain, and dealing without anything to absorb the wear and tear of an NBA game on his knees, could be very difficult for him to keep playing through.

Thoughts?

• Owner

Isn't this similar to what Blair is going through? I'm pretty sure there was talk that Blair doesn't have any knees (ha), and it was amazing that he was even able to get off the ground high enough to grab boards with the weight he has.

Roy Leaves Game with Left Knee Injury

Brandon Roy left Saturday's game with an apparent left knee injury, grimacing in pain as he limped off the court.

http://www.rotoworld.com/images/headshots/NBA/1256.jpg

The really concerning part is that Roy didn't knock knees with anyone -- he just made a quick move and suddenly had to exit for the locker room. Given what we know about the lack of cartilage in both of his knees, this could be prelude to a serious problem. Stay tuned.

rotoworld

Tough news for the Blazers. This is either the old, no cartilage or meniscus, or it's a legit torn something in his knee or sprain. The situation with his knees just keeps getting worse and worse, and it's really starting to make me think that he may never return to his full form, and that he may end up having to retire way early in his career. Very bad news for Portland.

Thoughts?