Blazers held internal discussions about possibly trading Roy

Dash

Brandon Roy will miss the next two games with soreness in his left knee. The knee has deteriorated to the point where Roy will struggle to reclaim his All-Star level of play.

“There’s no real hope of it improving,” one league source with direct knowledge of the medical prognosis told Yahoo! Sports on Wednesday. “It’s just about trying to manage it now. He’s not going to be the franchise superstar that [Portland] thought he would be. This isn’t something they consider ‘fixable.’ ”

GM Rich Cho held internal discussions on whether they might include Roy in trade proposals, according to sources.

Read more: http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/70146/20101118/blazers_held_internal_discussions_on_offering_roy_in_trade_proposals/#ixzz15ehlZcaw

If this is true then I don't see why Portland shouldn't at the very least explore trade possibilities with other teams while his trade value is still high. Some team may be willing to get give up a lot for him but of course if the value isn't so good then they might as well keep him and see if he can recover.

I still think Roy can play ball for quite some time. Granted, he's not going to be a superstar/franchise player, but then again, he still is going to put up some points.

Look at it this way. He's been playing with the knee injury all season, and even during the games he was playing while hurting, he still put up great numbers. If he goes to a team where he's only asked to be a co-scorer, then he could fit very well. I'd love to see Indiana take a shot at him. Can you see him playing along with Granger? That would be one heck of a 1-2 punch. That being said, it's not going to happen.

But like I said earlier in this post, put him on a team where he can trust another player to do some of the scoring, and he'll be fine. It all comes down to workload with this kind of an injury in my opinion.

• Owner

He can probably still be a decent player but his contract (signed a 5 years $82 million extension last season) is now in the ranks of Gilbert Arenas and Elton Brand.

I wouldn't go THAT far yet. Roy is still a good Robin in this league. Stick him alongside a superstar, and that team can go places. Someone like Melo would die to have him on their side.

Arenas, Brand, those guys are still productive here and there (definitely not on the level of McGrady just yet), but they wouldn't be the third or fourth best players on a contender.

If you're speaking on just the contract, so be it...but you have to consider the level of play, also.

I wouldn't go THAT far yet. Roy is still a good Robin in this league. Stick him alongside a superstar, and that team can go places. Someone like Melo would die to have him on their side.

Arenas, Brand, those guys are still productive here and there (definitely not on the level of McGrady just yet), but they wouldn't be the third or fourth best players on a contender.

If you're speaking on just the contract, so be it...but you have to consider the level of play, also.

A good robin for me is an all-star (or at least borderline) and like the article states, those days are long gone for him. I guess we will have to wait and see how he performs when he gets back.