Blake Griffin, and the Dunk Contest?

Purple&Gold

I would love to see both him and Eric Gordon in the dunk contest. He was getting up, but I agree with ABL in thinking that he's an in-game dunker. Maybe he could star in a slam dunk contest like Dwight Howard did, but he'll have to prove that to me.

It would be nice to see Griffin in the dunk contest; but I pretty much see what you guys are saying which is that he can sure put the ball in the basket but really not so sure if he can make it to the contest. I can imagine Griffin holding a Slam Dunk Contest and the ROTY trophy.

Edited by Tony

• Owner

If he can't get it right in the Dunk Contest and since Shannon Brown couldn't do as well last year, they might as well abolish the Slam Dunk Contest unless LeBron/D-Wade/Kobe wants to hop in and save the day.

Kobe can still dunk, but you'll never, ever see him in the contest as a contestant anymore.

^Exactly, which means the Slam Dunk contest is not going to get any better than it's current state because the best in-game dunkers can't dunk in the contest and the best known dunkers of the game aren't willing to throw their name into the hat, which I don't blame them for. After years of MJ to Spud Webb to VC to Dwight, it's hard to think of anything new now.

• Owner

^Exactly, which means the Slam Dunk contest is not going to get any better than it's current state because the best in-game dunkers can't dunk in the contest and the best known dunkers of the game aren't willing to throw their name into the hat, which I don't blame them for. After years of MJ to Spud Webb to VC to Dwight, it's hard to think of anything new now.

Well, they are pulling non-NBA players into the contest this season (heard this is mainly due to Sprite, but I have no idea). There are a few amateur dunkers out there that look amazing, so it could really boost the popularity of the contest.

But, if that turns into a flop, I say just ditch it next season and try to put together some kind of actual game that pits them against each other, similar to a game of 21.

id like to see Blake participate in at least one dunk contest in his career. i've watched enough of him to know that he can not only get up, but get up very quickly and finish hard

will Griffin be playing on the rookie or sophomore team this year? he's a part of last years draft class but still technically a rookie

He's been there before, and won, during his senior year (McDonald's dunk contest). Might as well.

Yeah true but his dunks weren't particularly impressive though... Here's the video by the way :

Some nice dunks but no more than that...

I agree with ABL Griffin is more an in game dunker. What's impressive about his dunks is how he posterizes and humiliates other people, but he ain't creative enough for a dunk contest IMO...

I wouldn't mind seeing him in the dunk contest this year though, it can't be worse than last year anyway.

• Owner

The same was said for Dwight Howard before he entered the contest, also (I said it, and so did many others on OTR), and he turned out to be the most creative dunker the contest has ever seen.

In fact, the same goes for Amare, but Nash actually made his run more exciting.